Menu

You Wouldn't Want to Be....books

Snowfall

Are they okay for a 6-year-old? In the Amazon descriptions it seems that they have a lot of blood and guts, but I've never actually seen one. At any rate, DD's not super-sensitive about things like that. She understands that awful things (slavery, wars, murders, etc.) have happened and doesn't seem overly traumatized by that knowledge. So are they really bad, like they'd give her nightmares, or are they just too advanced and would fly right over her head? She's pretty advanced for her age when it comes to understanding history.

My boys are turning 5 on Monday. We just read the one about Christopher Columbus. They were very interested and thought the pictures were funny to look at. This was after reading the book about Christopher Columbus by D'Aulaire. They listened to that as well, but the You Wouldn't Want to Be book was so much more fun. It did touch on a few sensitive topics, but it either didn't faze them or they asked a couple of questions and we moved on.

Are you able to check these out of the library to take a look at them?

You can read You Wouldn't Want to be a Roman Gladiator as an interactive web book here. It's not the full book, but it will give you a decent taste to go by.

We love the ones in this series that we've read, and my two are just 5 yrs and 7.5 yrs. (The baby is oblivious. ;))

Edited by MelanieM