Menu

Horizon Math...likes/dislikes?

Sue G in PA

I was able to pick up 2 years of Horizon Math today at a yardsale for $8...total! Quite a bargain. So, I figured I would ask around and see if there was anyone here that has used it and liked it. We are currently using Singapore and I plan to still use Singapore with my ds7 and dd5. Any reviews? Thanks!

For the most part, I really like Horizons math and actually just switched back to it from Abeka for my 3rd grader. When my dd6 was using it for K, the way they wrote some problems would confuse her so we switched to Abeka and she does better with the way things are laid out. My older dd8 wanted to switch back to Horizons because while it is colorful which she likes and spirals which she does well with, it has a cleaner layout. She does much better with math if it is given to her in bits and pieces rather than too big of a concept at once. I don't really know how it compares to Singapore, because honestly, the examples for Singapore confuse me so I have not purchased that one.

I was able to pick up 2 years of Horizon Math today at a yardsale for $8...total! Quite a bargain. So, I figured I would ask around and see if there was anyone here that has used it and liked it. We are currently using Singapore and I plan to still use Singapore with my ds7 and dd5. Any reviews? Thanks!

I used SM with Horizons for 4 years. I thought it was a perfect fit. Horizons covers a lot more topics than SM does, but SM adds the depth of conceptual understanding that I felt was missing from Horizons.

Of course, that is my opinion, and my observations with my child. ;) I know others here use Horizons as a stand alone from K-6 and are more than pleased with it on its own.

Do you have specific questions?

Great find, BTW! :hurray:

Did you get the TMs as well or just the workbooks? I find the TMs really add to the program. They're not fantastic, but they do explain what math concepts the kids should be focussing on in each lesson, there are extra practice sheets, ideas for games or other activities, and of course, the answer keys, which make marking that much faster. :tongue_smilie:

We have used Horizons from the beginning of our hs journey, 3-6th grade. I really can't compare it to another program since this is all we have used, but it has worked very well for us and dd loves it. OK, as much as any dc loves math.

I saw those! Glad I left them for you. ;) (I figured I didn't need them gathering dust on my shelf until I needed them.) I have used Horizon all the way through with my dd9.

The TM's will provide guidance for drilling math facts and counting by #s. Can provide some additional guidance if you need it, along with additional worksheets. However it's not a hand-holding TM, as it is not scripted. You are expected to know the material you are teaching.

Do you need the TM? I have brand new ones I'm selling that might be the right level and I promise a great deal! :D Send me a msg if you are interested.

A lot of people love Horizons, it just wasn't a good match for us. We only used grade 2. DS didn't do well with all the distracting color/pictures and it moved a bit fast for him. He prefers the simple black/white pages and lots of review.

He's not a visual learner so maybe that was part of it.

Horizons has worked well for us here. There can tend to be a lot of problems, and we cut some of the problem sets in half if it was a review concept my kids knew well. I thought Level 6 sometimes didn't have as much explanation as my son needed--it still worked but it was a bumpier year. We've used Levels 1-6 now!

Merry :-)

We have used Horizons 1 this past year and have LOVED it! We haven't tried another math program, but have dabbled around in others and found Horizons to be our best fit. The full color pages, spiral approach, and especially the extras that the teacher's manual brings make for a very fun math lesson. My daughter has soaked it in this past year and says "Whoo hoo, math!" whenever math is next on our schedule.

Edited by lilbean05
I was too excited to post and didn't finish my thoughts..good golly.

I liked it in that it was colourful, spiral in approach, and dd enjoyed it. I disliked it as I did not find it an academically strong programme. Dd could not comfortably complete a Year 2 test for Singapore when halfway through Horizons 3. We are now with Singapore, which is much harder work, but definitely requires the student to develop an ability to integrate maths processes in order to solve problems. This was lacking in Horizons.

I liked it in that it was colourful, spiral in approach, and dd enjoyed it. I disliked it as I did not find it an academically strong programme. Dd could not comfortably complete a Year 2 test for Singapore when halfway through Horizons 3. We are now with Singapore, which is much harder work, but definitely requires the student to develop an ability to integrate maths processes in order to solve problems. This was lacking in Horizons.

This was my experience as well. DS never struggled with Horizons and always scored very high on the tests. He scored in the 99th percentile on the ITBS so I was very happy with his results after completing Horizons. Clearly, it's a solid program. However, he had a difficult time with the Singapore placement test. (I was looking to make a change in programs because I really disliked the Horizons Teacher Manual.) Well, we've made the switch to Singapore and I'm very pleased with the higher level thinking skills that he's developing. One suggestion would be to add the Challenging Word Problems books. I think that would really round out the Horizons program. :001_smile:

We've used Horizons for 3-5 and I have 6 on the shelf for the fall. I have mixed feelings abut it. Ds likes the colorful, workbook format, and he needs the continual review.

I am not happy with some of their explanations, and have supplemented with Math Mammoth for a better understanding, specifically for fractions in the 5th grade books. I also find Horizons to be weak on word problems.

I have used Horizons Books K-3 and DS will complete Books 4 and 5 this year. DS loves the program and so do I. I don't use the TM, but I am a retired teacher and thus, had the background to go it alone.

We will be adding some kind of challenging word problems this year as DS is weak in that area.