Menu

Alright all you MCT and Bravewriter's Lifestyle Fans, let's chat.

rafiki

I just use the Bravewriter Lifestyle. I don't do the full Bravewriter program. I'm also only in the middle of Island Level MCT.

We do MCT as formal lessons every day. I switch around the books, so we do different books on different days, but there's always a formal MCT lesson. We sit with the book for the day and start reading and discussing. When either Sparkle or I feel we've had enough, we stop. Sometimes that's several pages. Sometimes that's only one page.

Bravewriter Lifestyle is just that, a lifestyle. I don't think the girls even realize I do it because of school. We have poetry teatime every week. I and DH read aloud to the girls at bedtime. We have quiet reading time every afternoon. We do another read-aloud at lunchtime. We listen to music in the morning. We go on a nature walk every week and observe and draw nature. We play the observation game during our nature walks and whenever we're stuck waiting somewhere. We play word games in the car. We don't do formal freewrites yet; Sparkle still needs to build up writing stamina for that.

The Bravewriter lifestyle is filling Sparkle's head with beautiful language and letting her play with it. MCT is teaching her the formal structures upon which that beauty is built so that she can better appreciate it and eventually create it.

For spelling I use dictation.

Lisa, I am all :bigear:'s.

As of right now, I do not own Bravewriter. I've read the site many times, printed the Arrow sample, am waiting on a review of "The Arrow Evaluation & Planning Tool", ehm. ;) The Un-Scope and Sequence article was very reassuring. I am connecting so much with the Lifestyle info. We do many of those things sparatically now, but could be pulling more out of it and I'd like it to happen more often, YKWIM?

I'm starting to connect dots, my experience with something as simple as freewriting with the boys has been amazing. I think this gives us structure, yet the flexibility we need.

I really like that MCT focuses on academic writing. My boys have a lot to say, but need to refine how they express themselves in ways that aren't always tied to writing.

I need a guide that is flexible in presentation and gives them skills to reach their full potential, when they don't fit traditional methods and materials.

:lurk5:

Okay Michele, I don't know if this will help but it's what language arts had evolved into by the end of our school year which was in May. For Swimmer Dude, who was in 6th grade, language arts involves four areas: literary analysis, grammar, vocabulary, and writing. Note taking and outlining occur across the curriculum; however, typically outlining happens during history and note taking occurs during science mostly because of the spines I used.

Every morning we read aloud during breakfast for at least an half an hour. It will usually be whatever is on for literary analysis, maybe a short story or part of a novel. We also do a poem a day. I read in the evening for another half hour. (Brave Writer Lifestyle #1) This is done 5 days a week along with a short lit analysis lesson. I typically would expect to do this only 4 days a week but the Dude got excited for the first time ever, so we rolled with it.

We did vocabulary Mon.-Thurs. this year using Caesar's English II. We read through the new words together and he makes note cards for review. We work through the lesson a page or two a day and constantly review. Easy, no brainer to schedule.

Grammar was three days a week in Practice Voyage with a bit of diagramming thrown in here and there. Remember, grammar practice shows up in the vocabulary and writing books so there is really more. Grammar is done Mon., Tues., and Thurs.

Writing isn't so simple. We do formal lessons on Mon., Wed., and Thursday. On Tuesday, we do copywork. (BWL #2) I really like to use Julie Bogart's Boomerang pieces for this but they are fairly expensive. She picks involved passages that challenge the student's skills regarding punctuation and grammar. She also usually explains why she chose a passage from a literary sense and this is where I like to incorporate a mini-lit lesson. If she is talking about alliteration and you want to go into it in more detail, this is where you pull out FS. (No full-sized lit lesson this day) Dictation happens on Wednesday. (BWL #3) On thing I have done in the past per Julie's instructions is to type up the passage without punctuation and with poor grammar and let Swimmer Dude edit it. We ran out of time a lot this year for this but it's very helpful. (For both of us.:tongue_smilie:) Fridays, instead of Freewriting (BWL #4), we do Unjournaling (Thanks, WildIris!).

Obviously with the work described above, we are already engaged in learning about literary elements (BWL #4) and we are doing writing projects (BWL #5). Art Appreciation as far as oral narration always happens during art or art history class. (BWL #6) That's it for this year and the Brave Writer Lifestyle.

This coming fall I would like to add in 2 movie nights a month at least. (BWL #7) Happygrrl does this a lot I think, and I'd like to talk to her more about this. The beauty of this is that it would take some stress of the school day and I could include the older kids in the analysis process. T

This year because we will be studying the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, I plan on moving one of the morning read alouds (probably Friday's) to the afternoon. We'll do Tea Time with alternating poetry and Shakespeare sessions. (BWL #8 & 9) I'll miss our poem a day but it's time to move on. The last thing I would like to incorporate is the Nature Journal.(BWL #10). I thought I had a vision for a medieval science this year, but Swimmer Dude dropped the bomb by saying he wanted to not do science but nature studies this year. This means we can hike and he loves to hike. I'm not giving up the science but will go back to using Barb's (HarmonyArtMom) Nature Challenges one or two days a week. Oddly enough, the first homeschooling book I ever read was Wild Days: Creating Discovery Journals by Karen Skidmore Rackcliff. It remains both a goal and a favorite resource.

That's it.:tongue_smilie:

Edited by swimmermom3
glitch

Swimmermom - what are those BWL (Bravewriter Lifestyle) numbers you're using? Is that from WJ or is that your method of noting how many different BWL methods you're using?

Capt_Uhura

Those are my own notations because the list can look daunting, but many of us already include several of the practices.

One L Michelle - I partially answered your question in that thread and will begin reading through the Eval and Planning Tool again in a few minutes. :001_smile:

Yes, I also own Bravewriter's Writer's Jungle. :001_huh:

Radiobrain should show up soon. We have had a few discussions about WJ.:D

Thanks for the Unjournaling book suggestion! I just ordered it. Also, thanks for the OP who started this thread. I am in the process of implementing a schedule for next year and I hope to incorporate some of these suggestions into it!

I hope you enjoy Unjournaling. It's not your average book of prompts:

#51 Write an incredible awesome paragraph about your absolute favorite actor, singer or celebrity, using the most outstanding, excellent hyperbole in the whole, entire universe.

Hyperbole is an extravagant exageration.

#44 In one sentence, communicate "fear."

My youngest chose an assignment where he had to describe his character's appearance only through the reaction of those in the room that the character enters. Well, that was bloody awful, literally. "Oh, my eyes are burning!" shrieked Bob as he ran straight for the window and jumped. By the end of the debacle the janitor takes one look at the mess in the room, decides he doesn't want to clean it up, and does himself in.

Don't let these results strike fear in your heart. One too many conferences with teachers early on regarding "bad elf stories" vs. "good elf stories" is part of what earned Swimmer Dude the privilege of home schooling.:D

I bought the WJ at WTM For Sale board. How about put out a WTB and see if someone bites? I've had luck w/ that in the past. I have my tea and cookies, laundry is done, watched an episode of Star Trek TNG, so I'm picking up the Eval and Planning tool right now. :001_smile:

Gotta get it all in before the US game at 2:30pm! GO USA! GO USA! GO USA!

Capt_Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Radiobrain should show up soon. We have had a few discussions about WJ.:D

NO NO NO!!!! I will NOT be drawn into this one...I just got home from animation class, a bubble science class, it is 95 degrees and gross out, I have to get gas for the car and orange juice for my screwdriver.... ;)

NO NO NO!!!! I will NOT be drawn into this one...I just got home from animation class, a bubble science class, it is 95 degrees and gross out, I have to get gas for the car and orange juice for my screwdriver.... ;)

Get your chores done, put your feet up, sip your beverage and join us; you know you want to.:D Anyway, I have a confession to make and you don't want to miss the chance for a good laugh.:tongue_smilie:

Get your chores done, put your feet up, sip your beverage and join us; you know you want to.:D Anyway, I have a confession to make and you don't want to miss the chance for a good laugh.:tongue_smilie:

Ok... hubby is out playing a show, I have had my cocktail and a shower, the boys are watching a movie.... what was the question again? How does a week with BW & MCT look in your house? AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!:willy_nilly:

Well, as far as a week utilizing them both...I am a bit of a slacker, and never do as much of anything as I wanted. I can't stand the formatting of the WJ, so I had to write down the ideas I liked in it. I saw Julie speak (she lives nearby) and got a pretty good idea of her angle, which I like. Then I just attempt to incorporate her philosophy into everyday life, which melds well with MCT's beauty & simplicity of the english language and eventual academic rigor. It is the gentle, girly, creative, fluffy side of MCT.

Luckily, my boys love a good tea party, enjoy good lit and interesting words. I attempt to do tea time. We do a freewrite 2X a week, but we need to structure it a bit for the boys or they will tear their hair out (which is NOT the point of a freewrite...:tongue_smilie:). I have a copy of boomerang and arrow, and one day I swear I will use them. REALLY. I mean it. I do MCT 2-4X a week, practice sentence everyday, usually one vocab per week and one test. I am not a very rigid scheduler. I usually have all my books in a pile, decide what we need to do in the morning... and write down what we did in the evening. Isn't that backwards? That figures. :lol:

No, really... Lisa... what's up? I am on my toes, waiting... Are we going to start a cross country indie rock band? Cassette tapes? I have my 4-track in the basement. I just put a new 9 volt in my distortion pedal....:D

Ok... hubby is out playing a show, I have had my cocktail and a shower, the boys are watching a movie.... what was the question again? How does a week with BW & MCT look in your house? AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!:willy_nilly:

Well, as far as a week utilizing them both...I am a bit of a slacker, and never do as much of anything as I wanted. I can't stand the formatting of the WJ, so I had to write down the ideas I liked in it. I saw Julie speak (she lives nearby) and got a pretty good idea of her angle, which I like. Then I just attempt to incorporate her philosophy into everyday life, which melds well with MCT's beauty & simplicity of the english language and eventual academic rigor. It is the gentle, girly, creative, fluffy side of MCT.

Luckily, my boys love a good tea party, enjoy good lit and interesting words. I attempt to do tea time. We do a freewrite 2X a week, but we need to structure it a bit for the boys or they will tear their hair out (which is NOT the point of a freewrite...:tongue_smilie:). I have a copy of boomerang and arrow, and one day I swear I will use them. REALLY. I mean it. I do MCT 2-4X a week, practice sentence everyday, usually one vocab per week and one test. I am not a very rigid scheduler. I usually have all my books in a pile, decide what we need to do in the morning... and write down what we did in the evening. Isn't that backwards? That figures. :lol:

No, really... Lisa... what's up? I am on my toes, waiting... Are we going to start a cross country indie rock band? Cassette tapes? I have my 4-track in the basement. I just put a new 9 volt in my distortion pedal....:D

:lol:I just saw your tag line...that's terrible! But you are here.;) I can't believe you brought up guitars. I had just been contemplating a trip to 5 Star Guitar but we went to a college planning session instead.:blink:

Confession: I. bought. LToW. I have listened to the first CD. Lisabees was giving me directions. We'll see. Korin, I know you are sitting there laughing. I don't know why I did it. I'll just end up right back with MCT and WJ. There. It's out in the open. No! I am working in the bedroom and Swimmer Dude is in the great room and just asked my husband what "obsessive compulsive" is. Dh's response, "Someone who can't control themselves regarding a certain obsession." I am trying not to take it personally regarding writing programs.

Korin, what is it about the format of WJ that you don't like? I appreciate the fact that Julie is a professional writer. In ways, that tempers her assignments to be more realistic than some of the curricula. Like when she says to "Beware of curricula that require too much generative writing per week," and "Throw away some writing." Not everything has to be polished to perfection. It's a relief to be given permission to not cover every type of writing every year like the ps do or many curricula do. Maybe this is why so many of us panic when we look at the MCT writing portion. He wants me to spend an entire year on just paragraphs or just essays. What about the friendly letter, the newspaper article, the existential play? However will my child succeed if the only thing they can do is academic writing? So I would definitely agree that the Brave Writer Lifestyle can counter some of those concerns without overwhelming the child with work.

Where I struggle with WJ is that it is for me the teacher which requires my sitting down with that thick notebook and trying to absorb everything. In the end, you don't necessarily have anything you can schedule for your child for the coming week. You may have a few ideas or you may have deepened your understanding but you don't hold anything concrete in your hands for your time spent. It's a slow unfolding process for me and I get impatient and run out and buy the next greatest writing program. But nothing resonates for me like WJ and MCT together.

Way too many sleepless nights. Hopefully this rather incoherent passage will spark some conversation. :tongue_smilie:

Confession: I. bought. LToW. I have listened to the first CD. Lisabees was giving me directions. We'll see. Korin, I know you are sitting there laughing. I don't know why I did it. I'll just end up right back with MCT and WJ. There. It's out in the open.

So.... are you saying I can save myself $150 and not buy LToW? Or am I misreading you? :tongue_smilie:

I haven't looked at the BW site in a couple of years. I did get the Arrow Evaluation thingy, but didn't find it particularly useful, I'll have to admit. We have done Poetry Teas (on Thursdays) sporadically over the past few years, but other than that we haven't done much BW. You inspire me a bit (and then I get exhausted even thinking about doing more than we are - so why am I pondering LToW?)

:bigear: So... when are we getting a full review on LToW? :bigear:

Michele - The emails come daily usually in the middle of the night, early morning.

You could always pay Jule Bogart and she'll write a personalized writing program for you! :001_smile:

I think WJ requires some thought time for me. I need to go through WJ, take some notes, write down the activities which would be good for each of my boys, then write a schedule. I do believe there is scheduling information in the WJ or perhaps it was in the planning tool. I'll have to put that on my to do list for this week.

Swimmermom - I can't wait to read your review on LTOW. I have my friend's through the summer. I'm on CD#4 out of 6. It's interesting. My impression is that it will mesh well w/ MCT since LTOW focuses on coming up with the question. I'm going to try some of the initial exercises with my oldest this summer.