Menu

Editor in Chief too difficult for a rising 6th grader...

What is the grade level on the A-1 book? Are you expecting him to do it independently? Can he read the material? Instead of changing the material (which is probably fine, something he can grow into), change how you're using it. Make a cheat sheet of the proofreading marks and spend a day going over them, showing examples. Then go through the text together.

As far as easier books, well the Take 5 Minutes books are easier. We did Punctuation Puzzlers that were very good about teaching the concepts before giving you entertaining exercises. We did one of the Editor in Chief books this past year (I forget which level, sorry), and dd enjoyed it. I think you could make it work by doing it more with him. Take it one sentence at a time. He may be frustrated by seeing the whole paragraph. Blow the model up and work on just the first sentence of it together, marking with colored pens. Do one sentence each day. Break it down quite a bit and help him. He'll get the hang of it! When I taught a little writing class one year, I had the students do editing every single week as a class warm-up. I sent editing homework home for the ones who struggled, just little daily bits. By the end of first semester ALL of them were just fine and editing like pros! So he'll get there if you just walk him through it. Break it down and teach him what he needs to know. You can do this. :)

I'd recommend anyone new to this series, no matter what grade, start with the Beginning book. It explains how to use editing marks, and it walks you through editing one thing at a time, first with multiple choice and then with mark-up or one thing at time, and not till the very end of the book it mixed editing (and then it still tells you how many of each type of error to find).

All the subsequent books are mixed editing, and just tell you how many errors total, not how many of each kind.

FWIW, my 9.5yo has fnished Beginning is and is now working through A1 with no problem. I think you just need to do the Beginning book first, to get the foundation.

It's sounds like you've found a way to make what you already have work for you, but if you did want to look at something else ther's Evan-Moore's Daily Paragraph Editing. These are grade specific and designed for elementary years.

I agree with the previous posters. Use the beginning book, as it teaches you how to do EIC. Make a copy of the editing marks, and let your child refer to it as he works. Help him through the first few, until he gets the hang of it. Prompt him to think of different kinds of errors for each sentence - is the spelling right? Is the punctuation right? Is the capitalization right? Ask him to read the sentence aloud - does it sound right or do you want to change one of the words to make it read better?

Editing comes extremely easily to some and is very difficult for others. Give help where needed, be encouraging, go through it together in an organized way, be supportive, eventually wean yourself gradually from the process.