Menu

RE: MFW Adventures

Julie

A big thanks to everyone who posted for me on an earlier thread!!! I bought Adventures at the convention today and am super excited to get going with it.

What an amazing family that runs and authors that organization.

Donna it was the convention in Oregon. I spoke to a brother and sister who's names I can't recall, a nice gal named Julie from Texas who raved about the HS program. I am certain I will do this with my son who will be in 9th the following year. Lastly, David Hazell, he took a good deal of time directing me, ultimately I ended up going with Adventures and he was really pushing ECC. My plan is to do ECC with my girls the following year while son does 9th grade.

I have poured over the TM it looks like a much better fit for my family than Sonlight, or anything else I have tried for that matter. The one thing he said that kind of pushed me over the edge was that if you use this curriculam from start to finish, your child will read the entire Bible 3 times, no else that I am aware does this.

I have poured over the TM it looks like a much better fit for my family than Sonlight, or anything else I have tried for that matter. The one thing he said that kind of pushed me over the edge was that if you use this curriculam from start to finish, your child will read the entire Bible 3 times, no else that I am aware does this.

Bingo. You've hit the nail on the head why I love MFW so much. :D While we could certainly read through the Bible 3 times on our own, I just love the WAY that MFW does it, while incorporating science and history along with it.

I'm sure this was explained to you, Julie, but others who are reading, the pattern is this:

K and 1st grade -- Starting with the basics and teaching your child where he came from (Creation) and God's Word as our standard in all life (Bible reader from Gen. to Rev. at an age-appropriate level, and Proverbs memory verses throughout 1st grade).

Adventures and ECC -- Showing her who Jesus is, teaching the Gospel and the concept of prayer and missions, and other people groups outside our own little community (U.S. and world).

CTG and RTR -- Reading through much of the Bible at a higher level than before, and seeing how history fits in there. Learning history in context of the Bible, and vice versa.

EX1850 and 1850MOD -- Discipleship of your Logic stage child who's now wondering WHY they're learning all this Bible. What am I going to do with it? Making connections to past lessons learned in ECC and other years. And if you began MFW at the beginning and stayed with it, you'll then do ECC again at a deeper level in 8th grade, which is even more thought-provoking. It puts some of those abstract concepts of "Go ye into all the world" into perspective.

High School -- Complete reading of the Bible cover to cover, preparedness for service and strong biblical worldview before going out into the world on their own.

Meanwhile, academics are certainly NOT neglected. You're building a strong academic "base" throughout elementary, and then the student is reading and studying unabridged literature in-depth in high school, while writing, writing, writing! Definitely college-prep material. ;)

We start this in August, also, and I am very excited about it. I'll be doing it with a 2nd and pre-k'er. I've had it for a couple months and have been looking it over and getting comfortable with it.

I am very pleased with how well-rounded it is. I like that you can still get in music, art, etc... without having a horribly long day.

:001_smile: Julie,

I was at the home school convention in Oregon yesterday too! I went to the MFW booth to purchase Adventures. I have been poring over it and have been breathing deep sighs of relief. My boys are going to enjoy it and I can teach this! It is a doable schedule and a balanced variety of subjects. . . Now I want to begin school in July :D.

May God bless you and your kiddos this year as you have your Adventure in My Father's World!!!

Katrina

Donna, I did not get the details you just provided at the booth yesterday, THANK YOU so much for that summary!!! My big regret at the moment is that I did not start this with the bigger two way back when. At least they will be getting the tail end of it in high school. I am tempted to start it now with my oldest and just take it slow........

Katrina we were probably in line toghther :) I hope you will post how things are going. We have a golf tounament early this week, but I plan to start this with my daughter when I get home, I am excited to give her the name letter. :)