Menu

Basement Carpeting - Berber or Shag?

We are putting down carpeting in our basement, and I like the feel of the new shags under my feet, but I'm afraid of putting it in our basement. The basement is a walk-out, and we don't have much trouble with moisture, but I wonder if shag is asking for trouble. The practical side of me thinks we should put berber throughout, then put down a shag rug in the family-room type area.

Any thoughts? The other thing I dislike about berber is the way it gets dented by furniture, and there is no way to revive it. But it is just a basement...

Thanks!!

Shelly

I like berber's durability, but will never buy it again as long as my dog is alive.

My dog likes to pick a strand of carpet out and then pull it while walking. The result is akin to having a run in one's hosiery. I have no idea how he figured out this delightful hobby. He transferred his skills to pillows with fringe around them, particularly the loopy kind of fringe in which each loop separates into about a dozen threads when pulled apart.

I like berber's durability, but will never buy it again as long as my dog is alive.

My dog likes to pick a strand of carpet out and then pull it while walking. The result is akin to having a run in one's hosiery. I have no idea how he figured out this delightful hobby. He transferred his skills to pillows with fringe around them, particularly the loopy kind of fringe in which each loop separates into about a dozen threads when pulled apart.

I'm at the library and I almost burst out laughing, sure to get me kicked out. :lol::lol: Sounds like he and my cat would get along great together.

I'm at the library and I almost burst out laughing, sure to get me kicked out. :lol::lol: Sounds like he and my cat would get along great together.

This is why we didn't get Berber but the frieze instead. We have dogs and a cat! (And honestly I would not put it past either of my children to find this a fun and relaxing thing to do. . .)

:lol: Another one with cats who claw at the carpet anytime they want attention. It makes us whip our heads around and shout "NO". And to think they thought it would make us go feed them. :lol:

There are also some really nice commercial grade - low pile or tight loopy carpeting - which work great for basements. In the event of some unwanted "moisture", they would be easier to extract the water from and should last years without showing much wear at all. I would pay attention to the type of padding used. A good quality padding will make all the difference with whatever carpeting you choose. :)

We put shag in our 1000 sq ft. basement also walkout. We thought it to be a good quality shag (the $ said it was :)). At the time we only had 1 kid and 1 dog (a 185 lbs, so big dog). Anyhow after about year and half you could tell where we'd normally walked and where the dog normally laid. The areas not walked on looked great and made the used areas look really bad. Just my experience. Also you have a have a really good vaccum to get it clean!

Thanks for all of the input! We do have a dog - pets and their claws wreak havoc on flooring, don't they?! We are going with a high quality pad that has a moisture barrier adhered to the bottom of the pad. We are thinking the pad will have a longer life guarantee than the carpeting! Off to make a final decision at Lowe's today; thanks!

Shelly