Menu

I have a strange questions RE:Rod & Staff.....

bizzymomof5

I'm still trying to decide on what to have my 5 kids do regarding grammar this year. Here's a little background: They have not had much in depth instruction in the way of grammar. They will be grades 7-12 in the fall.

1. For my 12th grader I will be using Our Mother Tongue first half of the year followed by a diagramming workbook for extra practice in the second half of the year.

2. My 9th and 10th graders could do the same as 12th grader or use R&S below grade level, which we are fine with.

3. For both of my 7th graders I would probably start them in R&S 5th or 6th.

I have thought of using R&S 6 grade for my 7th-10th graders.

**We will be using IEWs SWI-C for everyone for their writing instruction.**

Here is my other alternate, alternate, alternate plan ( i have so many you see) and this is where my strange question comes from.

What if I used a diagramming/grammar workbook that would bring them up to speed in the grammar and diagramming department this year (NOT R&S I found one at Rainbow Resource called Grammar Rules) and then next year let them continue to use diagramming workbooks once or twice a week to keep practiced and then for WRITING instruction start with maybe book 7 of R&S and do ONLY their writing assignments as our writing course instead of doing more IEW? We could go through two R&S books in one year if just using the writing assignments. I just really, really like the writing instruction given in R&S but have already purchased and started IEW and like it so far. Just not sure I would want to spend the money to purchase the SWICC for the following year as it is quite expensive.

well, this has turned into quite a ramble, and as you can see I have trouble writing clearly and concisely so I will stop here.:001_smile:

If you've made it this far then I thank you for reading. I appreciate any comments on this subject.

tracy

I'm still trying to decide on what to have my 5 kids do regarding grammar this year. Here's a little background: They have not had much in depth instruction in the way of grammar. They will be grades 7-12 in the fall.

1. For my 12th grader I will be using Our Mother Tongue first half of the year followed by a diagramming workbook for extra practice in the second half of the year.

2. My 9th and 10th graders could do the same as 12th grader or use R&S below grade level, which we are fine with.

3. For both of my 7th graders I would probably start them in R&S 5th or 6th.

I have thought of using R&S 6 grade for my 7th-10th graders.

**We will be using IEWs SWI-C for everyone for their writing instruction.**

Here is my other alternate, alternate, alternate plan ( i have so many you see) and this is where my strange question comes from.

What if I used a diagramming/grammar workbook that would bring them up to speed in the grammar and diagramming department this year (NOT R&S I found one at Rainbow Resource called Grammar Rules) and then next year let them continue to use diagramming workbooks once or twice a week to keep practiced and then for WRITING instruction start with maybe book 7 of R&S and do ONLY their writing assignments as our writing course instead of doing more IEW? We could go through two R&S books in one year if just using the writing assignments. I just really, really like the writing instruction given in R&S but have already purchased and started IEW and like it so far. Just not sure I would want to spend the money to purchase the SWICC for the following year as it is quite expensive.

well, this has turned into

If you've made it this far then I thank you for reading. I appreciate any comments on this subject.

tracy

I would not use R&S-7 as the writing instruction for a high schooler because (and I am going by memory from 3 years ago) it's primary focus is grammar - and advanced grammar at that. It does go into paragraph development, but high schoolers need to be advancing into essay development (at least by the end of the year).

What I would advise is to use R&S-6 for grammar. Go as slowly as needed. I would not jump the gun into 7, because the first part of 7 reviews 6th so quickly it will make your students' heads spin if they have never had grammar. And, actually, if truth were told, what I might *really* advise, as much as I love using R&S for myself, is to look at Analytical Grammar. (Because it is set up for a student who doesn't have any grammar background, and if it eases your conscience, it *is* a WTM recommendation.) There is also this grammar program that is set up for group instruction, written by the author of the Excellence in Literature program. (I have neither seen or used it, but it might be worth checking out, given your circumstance, IDK. Or, you could use what you found - I haven't seen it, either.)

Have you watched the TWSS videos, or will you watch them as you go throught the SWI? They will definitely help you apply the SWI concepts to the differing abilities of all your students. (The "robbing the rich to teach the poor" concept will be priceless in your situation, and one you'll really be able to use.) I don't think you can go wrong using the SWI-C for all of them to get a good start in writing.

You can always take the concept they are learning in the SWI and apply it across the curriculum. If you don't feel ready to plan that yourself, you might look at getting some of the extra resources available from IEW to help.

Best wishes for a great year!

Edited by Rhondabee

Rhondabee,

Would this be doable: Put the 4 oldest ones in R&S 6th and only use the grammar skipping all of the writing assignments since we will be using IEW?

After that keep progressing through the R&S levels for grammar only and continue to use IEW for writing? Or do you think it would be better, given their ages, to just forget about R&S and use something like you suggested?

Unfortunately, Analytical Grammar isn't in our budget this year. At least I don't think it is. It seems like when I looked at it it was pretty expensive for 4-5 children. I'll go back and check.

Thanks!

tracy

Rhondabee,

Would this be doable: Put the 4 oldest ones in R&S 6th and only use the grammar skipping all of the writing assignments since we will be using IEW?

After that keep progressing through the R&S levels for grammar only and continue to use IEW for writing? Or do you think it would be better, given their ages, to just forget about R&S and use something like you suggested?

Unfortunately, Analytical Grammar isn't in our budget this year. At least I don't think it is. It seems like when I looked at it it was pretty expensive for 4-5 children. I'll go back and check.

Thanks!

tracy

Yes, I think using R&S-6 with everyone will be great (not to mention easier on you)! They will actually learn a lot of grammar while doing the IEW, which will make the R&S that much easier to teach.

Make sure to have your oldest one pay very close attention to the punctuation prompts in the IEW. That is the best way to learn punctuation rules, anyway. (I mean, you want *everyone* to, but your oldest has the shortest amount of time, and the most habits to unlearn - ask me how I know. ;))

If your olders are prepping for SAT's, you might also want to go ahead and plan for a mid-year, sometime after Unit-7 or 8, IEW High School Essay Intensive Week. Then, every Friday or every-other Friday, have a 25-minute timed essay to practice getting ready for the SAT. Just a thought~

Edited by Rhondabee

That's actually what I did...used R&S for grammar, but something else for writing.

I'd put the older ones in R&S 6 and continue till they finish book 8. They'll have had LOTS of grammar by then.

Can you tell me what you mean by skipping the writing parts (do you mean in the individual lessons or the lessons that are about writing?:confused: Thanks I am working on my grammar issues and I have a writing program and usually do R&S orally but was going to start doing the written on a white board, with that said I was wondering if you meant skip the lessons that teach writing and if so is that is the ones with the stars beside them?:001_huh:

Can you tell me what you mean by skipping the writing parts (do you mean in the individual lessons or the lessons that are about writing?:confused: Thanks I am working on my grammar issues and I have a writing program and usually do R&S orally but was going to start doing the written on a white board, with that said I was wondering if you meant skip the lessons that teach writing and if so is that is the ones with the stars beside them?:001_huh:

I mean to skip the lessons that are about writing. So, in the sixth grade book I recommended to the original poster, (you can see the TOC here), you would skip lessons 4, 8, 13, 16, and 17, etc.

Actually, I would probably have my students read through those specific lessons if I were doing IEW for writing and I were a new homeschooler - because IEW does not specifically teach how to logically organize & develop a paragraph. That's even what I did last year with my 6th grader. I do think R&S does a better job at teaching paragraph development than IEW does.

I didn't make my 6th grader do any of the writing assignments for those R&S "writing" lessons, though I think there were a few worksheets that went with them that I had him do. (Usually, he would have to read two paragraphs and choose the better of the two and explain why it was better.) Then, I would have him keep the principles in mind when he did his next IEW assignment (or his next cross-curricular assignment). Does that make sense?

There were quite a few writing assignments that we just skipped out right, especially the ones that dealt with taking notes and writing reports. We did read the ones on writing stories, because they deal with the beginnings of literary analysis. We also did the ones on Descriptions and Poetry. I think we usually just read the lesson, and kept going in writing.

We had a daily short but sweet grammar time - but remember, he's been doing R&S grammar since 3rd grade! And we also did writing every day. I'm not sure that every kid could do that, but he really hit his stride last year. The IEW really helped his grammar - REALLY! He knew adverb- and adjective-clauses instinctively before we got to them in the book because the IEW had already introduced them in a fun way. So, I think the two are a great combo.

DH is home, and my DS's 9th grade transcript is still in a mess on the floor.

OOPs - must go!

Edited by Rhondabee