Menu

Please welcome me to the Special Needs Board

After wondering what was going on with dd14 for HER WHOLE LIFE, we finally have answers. 8FilltheHeart recommended testing for dd after hearing of some of the issues we were having. That was the best advice I ever got because I never knew there was a test that would answer the questions we had. And, the testing was well worth the money (in case anyone reading this is wondering if it would be worth it to have their own dc tested).

Dd had the WISC-IV and it shows wide variations in the subtest scores, as in a 96th percentile high and a 9th percentile low. Her problems are in all the areas I suspected and more. The psychologist thinks she's highly capable and can do anything in the future but could be "lost" if she were in public school since she's the most difficult type for teachers to figure out. She needs to have her work load significantly reduced, be given work in discrete chunks with extra time to complete assignments, and guided through bigger assignments to be successful. All the while, I'm supposed to help her verbalize to enhance her learning because that's her strong suit. I'll now have to figure out how to do this.

Oh, and I'll have to closely monitor her in college as well.:glare:

A new adventure starts. At least I have some direction. I'm relieved and thankful...and grieving a bit, too.

Edited by NJKelli
oops!

Glad you have some answers. You might want to look at a program like Christian Light Education that has daily lessons with small chunks of new material while reviewing the old stuff (esp. in math and LA). These worked VERY VERY well for my special needs daughter.

If you do go with CLE, make sure to have her take the placement test as they are quite advanced in some areas.