Menu

S/O Cub Scout camp

What is your pack's summer camp like?

For our district Cub Scout camp is a day camp only; no overnight camping at all. It is run by the District and volunteers. Multiple packs attend; there are usually 150+ boys at Cub Day Camp.

The boys meet early in the morning as a pack and carpool to the camp. At the end of the day (around 4 pm) they carpool back to the meeting area and go home. Camp lasts 5 days (Mon - Fri). Friday afternoon is Family Day. FD is when the parents go for a big water balloon fight, see the different areas of camp and attend a short program. It usually costs about $100 for the week.

DS's Boy SCout Troop is volunteering as Camp mentors this year. They will not be leading any of the activities but will assist the boys as necessary.

---

Boy Scout camp is much different. It begins on Sunday and runs through Saturday morning. It is all overnight camping with Family Day on Friday night. FD is when they hold the Arrow of light ceremony.

Our Pack does the go to a BS campground for a week but they are on the Pack side. My husband took his vacation time and went with our son. Spendy, but our son did all the required fundraisers/events so there was no charge for him; we only had to pay a fee for my husband.

Our district's day camp is only 2 days. I think it was $45 for the 2 days. Variety of activities.

Last year it was the next town over, about 40 minutes, and so my son went. Had a great time.

This year it's on the other side of our district, about 1 hr 40 min away, so we are not attending!

Cub Adventure Camp!

It's about 210 for us both. It's four days (if you decide to stay the last night) and three nights. Ds loves it, there's archery, bb guns, fishing, biking, hiking, a pool and the man that donated all the land has the greatest telescope I've ever seen. He brings it out on their 'carnival' night and lets the kids take a look at the moon and whatever else he focuses on. Oh! And they have a special program each session (last year they had a local wildlife rehabilitator).

There's also a day camp, but it's over an hour away and costs the same amount. I think it lasts a week, but I'm not sure. We've never done it, it was too far to drive and not (imo) worth the cost. It's very much, from what I've heard, like the local YMCA summer camp.