Menu

Phonics recommendation

Embassy

I am looking for a phonics program for my son that is not integrated with readers. My son has completed ETC through book 3 and reads books on a 2nd grade level without difficulty. I was thinking of ETC online, but I was wondering what else there is out there. His phonics skills are lower than his reading comprehension.

Thanks for any suggestions!

A Beka's phonics program comes with readers but the program is not tied to the readers, kwim? They kind of separate phonics and reading in their curriculum, so you could technically read other things and still completely do their phonics program. My boys got way ahead in the readers, actually, but we stayed on schedule with the actual phonics lessons.

I am looking for a phonics program for my son that is not integrated with readers. My son has completed ETC through book 3 and reads books on a 2nd grade level without difficulty. I was thinking of ETC online, but I was wondering what else there is out there. His phonics skills are lower than his reading comprehension.

Thanks for any suggestions!

What have you already done? It sounds from your post like perhaps part of a phonics program or 100 EZ?..

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into them.

What have you already done? It sounds from your post like perhaps part of a phonics program or 100 EZ?..

I've done Explode the Code 1-3. I'm partway through AAS Level 1 too. My son has mostly completed MCP Phonics Level A. Plus we have done some of Sonlight's games and some phonics computer games from the library. I was set to do MCP this whole school year, but it became too difficult for my son. So I had him complete ETC 1-3 and then we went back to MCP Phonics. At that point it was no longer difficult.

I'd use Abeka's Handbook for Reading.

Just start at the front (or wherever your son needs to start). If he already knows his letter sounds, short and long vowels, for example, you can just review those real quick and start with the special sounds.

Just go page by page through that book. (You can always find a nice used copy on the cheap). The book builds on itself and even though Abeka makes readers to "go with it," you do not have to use them to get a great foundation in phonics.

I tutored third and forth graders from this book, actually. They already knew how to read, but they showed weakness when confronted with a word they'd never seen before. This book really helped them.

I started my five year old in this book a few years ago, back when she was just learning the alphabet, and she is reading on a second grade level now. We did not use any of the Abeka readers that go with the book until just a few weeks ago. We didn't even own them. We just used this one Handbook for our phonics instruction.

It's bare bones, no whistles, no gimmicks... But, it works. Just wear that Handbook out. Go cover to cover and I bet it's all you will need. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into them.

I've done Explode the Code 1-3. I'm partway through AAS Level 1 too. My son has mostly completed MCP Phonics Level A. Plus we have done some of Sonlight's games and some phonics computer games from the library. I was set to do MCP this whole school year, but it became too difficult for my son. So I had him complete ETC 1-3 and then we went back to MCP Phonics. At that point it was no longer difficult.

:) In that case, I vote for OPGTR and continue with ETC 4/5. :)