Menu

Help with Phonics for ASD kiddo

My middle boy, Brae, has some speech issues and we're wanting to do some speech work at home, as well as teach him to read this coming year... (we're doing K-lite for him, he'll repeat K the year after, he's a late bday...) He still speaks like he has a mouth full of marbles and makes a lot of errors. Wondering if any one has recommendations as to what type of program may work for him? (we're also working on volume control - he's either REALLY LOUD or really really quiet, no in btwn for him!)

Thanks!

Both of my children are on the spectrum and both needed speech therapy for articulation disorders. I originally bought Hooked on Phonics because I thought it might also help my older child with his speech. The practice sessions using the flashcards and chanting along with the tapes worked well here for both of my dc... for speech practice as well as learning to read.

Hi :D

I heart Brae, but you already knew that, and I agree, look into ST for him then maybe some HOP.

We are considering ST for J's articulation issues as well. With his SPD which affects his auditory system, we think the ST will be a great thing for him. Just a lot going on right now though. ;)

Crystal!!! Hey :) We're going to see if OT will work with him in the mouth, if not, we'll do ST.. Not sure yet.. Ins will cover it all thankfully! Brae had a 40% hearing loss w/ his ear infections, and it cleared up, but his speech didn't.. Will also look into HOP.. thanks!

I think phonics would be VERY difficult for a child with speech difficulties. If he had a 40% hearing loss for an extensive period of time, that would make it much more difficult. I've heard kids need to have 2-3 years of hearing all sounds in the speech banana for things like phonemic awareness to take off.

I would look into the LiPS program. It does a lot of work with how sounds look and feel, and sort of doubles as both speech and phonics.

But I would definitely have regular hearing checks and do really good speech therapy. :grouphug:

Thanks for the suggestion Terabith. He has the hearing loss issue back when he was 11mo.. (he's 4 now) He had serious ear infections for about a year and when they put tubes in, they discovered he had some really infected fluid buildup.. I think that coupled w/ his sensory issues are the main cause of the speech issues.. I will take a look into that program... :)

My son , 5 1/2 , also has speech delay , had many ear infections and still speaks like he has something in the mouth . We do ST at school and at home I try to read as many books as possible ( Sonlight list , FIAR list , 1000 good books list , etc )

We found out he has allergy ( sensitivity ) to milk , eggs and wheat . We avoid or limit giving him that .

He started to read just after turning 5 . We have used and are still using some :

- Leapfrog Letter factory I and II ( highly rec. )

- Adventures in Phonics (even though there is a lot of writing , this helped with his delayed fine motor skills - now he writes much better )

- Sing Spell Read and Write readers ,Comprehension questions from the TM and the assessment book only , not the whole program . If you can find the readers only that would be great , but I used the comprehension ??? because he also has a little problem with that

-Phonics Pathways for more practice

-The complete book of phonics -excellent as a supplement , it has multisensory activities and it's under $1 on amazon )

-magnetic letters to spell words he learned in phonics

All these made him at 5 1/2 a very good reader and speller for his age . But we worked hard !

Also , I would rec .:

--The Bible in pictures for little eyes by K. Taylor ( has great comprehension questions , the stories are very short)