Menu

Moving from ChalkDust to Saxon for Algebra 2?

Hello Ladies (and gents!),

I rarely post, but show up to ask questions on occasion. I could really use some opinions on this. My 15yo ds completed ChalkDust Algebra 1 and almost finished with CD Geometry. ChalkDust uses Houghton Mifflin texts. My ds rarely used the DVDs. Since the CD leans toward the pricey, I'm thinking that I might pick up a used Saxon Alg 2 and be okay.

Will there be any "holes" between the two curricula?

Thanks!!

p.s. We tried Teaching Textbooks and he didn't like it.

The only problem that you may face is that Saxon Alg 2 really is a follow-up to Saxon Alg 1, so you might have more trouble choosing that as a stand-alone text, compared to other Intermediate Algebra books. For instance, it covers some geometry, and uses that spiral approach that depends on previous lessons. We are now using it, and I'm not sure it would work well independently-- meant to be a sequence through Advanced Math.

How about Lials' Intermediate Algebra? Maybe that would work better, and it can be found inexpensively...

Pam,

I have the same feelings as Anne somewhat. I do think that after another Algebra 1 & Geometry, your child could use Saxon Algebra 2, but the method of teaching is so very different. The teaching in Saxon is the incremental approach vs. the more topical approach in Chalkdust. If your son is used to the topical approach, and likes it, he will be in for a big change.

My son used Saxon through the first half of Advanced Math, and then we switched to Chalkdust Precalc. While Saxon did an OK job, we both like Chalkdust much better because it is much more visually oriented, at least at the PreCalc level. The graphing calculator is used heavily, and I think that's a good thing for some learners because seeing the functions graphed helps them to understand the meaning of solving an equation better. Chalkdust also has many more real-world application problems which are important in keeping my son's interest, since math isn't his favorite subject.

If you're looking to save money, and your son isn't using the DVDs with Chalkdust, perhaps you could just buy the book? When I was looking at the PreCalc, I was able to find a used copy of a previous edition of the book on half.com for $10. We did end up getting the DVDs and the newer book, but at that point, I knew what I was getting.

HTH,

Brenda

I agree with the other posters--it is VERY difficult to change over to Saxon at this level...it is just that different. The Algebra 2 text will assume that your student has completed and mastered the concepts in THEIR Algebra 1 program--and that they are familiar with Saxon's unique methods and ways of explaining/wording problems...

I like Saxon but would NEVER recommend starting it after Algebra 1.

If cost is an issue look into the Lial series (Margaret Lial as main author). It teaches at the same depth as the Larson (Chalkdust) texts--but the older editions (7th or 8th) can be found VERY inexpensively on amazon.com or half.com. Even new the program is less than $150 with supplements and video/computer based lessons.

My dd is working out of the Lial's Intermediate Algebra text right now. The student text is all that is needed (older 'like new' for around $20 or less--solutions manual is optional (used copies are less than $15) and video lessons for computer (called DVTs) are still available for older editions--(around $30 new). This is an EXCELLENT series. The texts were designed for community college use--so they are structured for block schedules and most lessons take 2-3 days to work--but ALL of the teaching is in the student text. It is very easy to break longer lessons into smaller chunks as the text is very organized.