Menu

Elson Books...?????

momof165

I just stumbled upon these books when looking at http://www.lostclassicsbooks.com/. Has anyone used these Elson books? They look very cool - but I just haven't found anyone who has used these. :glare:

I just have such a hard time this year coming up with a good reading, writing and LA program for my ds. He'll be starting 3rd Grade in fall.

Any thoughts, input, ideas?????

Thanks ladies for helping me out once again.

Blessings,

Sonja

Married to the love of my life for 10 years

Homeschooling an ONLY one - ds 8 ;)

I bought book 8 for my oldest son because I felt he needed some practice in reading aloud. I am so impressed that I'd really like to collect the whole series. The stories are engaging and presented in their entirety. There is great vocabulary exposure and I love that at the end of each selection they have comprehension questions, or an outline of the story, which I prefer. I like to have him narrate so I can just use the outline to see if he's hitting the important points. There are teachers guides, with related questions and activities for the student, which I have no experience with.

I can't help you with the 3rd grade book, but I have used the primer and am currently using Book One with my dd. I love these books. The stories are really sweet and old-fashioned, but good quality, not sappy. The teacher's book (Book One, anyway) has comprehension questions and then a worksheet for the child to do. The worksheets vary, some are a little on the "busy work" side, but most are quite good. Overall, I highly recommend the books. Great quality for the price!

I had not heard of them until someone on here posted about them. The books are available on google books. My dd and I have been reading book 2 for the last two weeks and we love it. I have downloaded books 1-4 on my computer and she asks to read them for fun.

Jan

Look up the Harriete Taylor Treadwell readers. They have classic stories, fables and poems. Most of them are available on google books. They are also for sale at several online stores. I grew up reading some of them, LOVE them. I can't speak for the Elson readers, but with the popularity, we'll probably use both.

primer

1st reader

2nd reader

3rd

4th

5th

6th

eta- these are the ones I found.

I just received two boxes full of the whole series of the books and teachers manuals for review. It's going to take me a few months to do it all (I have a bunch of other stuff on my desk). I will post it here when I'm finished.

From what I can tell with my cursory look so far, I am excited. What I like especially about the TM's is that they teach kids to interact with and analyze (good quality) literature. I'm the last one to recommend analyzing the enjoyment right out of a good read, but this series would allow your dc to practice with short pieces. I'm thinking the skills they learn by doing this would transfer over naturally to other reading.

Anyway, I can't wait to dig in! I'll keep you posted...

Warmly,

Thank you so much for all your replies. I don't know what I would do without you.

This board has been a real blessing to my hs endeavour trying to find a suitable curriculum for my ds. :D

I definitely will use the google books. Thanks so much for posting this. I had no idea what "lost" treasures I can find there.;)

Sonja