Menu

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was good. We werent camping. I wish. My DFIL had a heart attack and DH had been gone taking care of him for about a month! So we were going to see Grandpa and to pick up DH.:grouphug: Working on my filing system was a great distraction!

I need to go in the school room and check our stuff and make sure I have all my supplies. I also need file my book basket list and go through and make 3x5's with supplies needed filed so its not a done project for me..yet.

I am so sorry. I don't know why I thought you had said you were going camping.

You can see why I need help here.....Can't even keep simple things straight.:confused:

One thing though, someone will need to be responsible for the filing after they are done. This could equal clutter if you can't stay on top of things.
Oh, yes. This is what I fear. If I have them work directly out of the folder all week and then just put it back into the crate at week's end, that would work. But then I'd need to be sure the folders will hold up. :tongue_smilie: Edited by Geek

I've had this issue while making flashcards. Try not to trim off all the way to the edge.

So far our numbers have held up, and I just laminated them (with the Reddi Roll) as one big sheet & then cut them apart. I wasn't sure they'd hold up but so far it hasn't peeled off (and actually, though reddi-roll is usually repositionable, it's NOT that way on paper or cardstock, so maybe it won't separate over time, I dont' know). Merry :-)

I've been following this thread....meanwhile some "real life" hit.:glare:

I am thankful for this thread though b/c I've gotten some good ideas on how to make our school "open and go" and portable. I'm using the basic file folder system for the 1st 12 weeks, and I'm going to actually put them in 3-prong folders so I can just whip out this weeks folder, wherever we may be.

Hopefully, by the time we are done with those 12 folders, "real life" will settle back down and we can get back to our routine....or maybe we'll like the folders and want to keep them.

Guest aquiverfull
Kelli, I also liked both ideas (subject and weekly folders) but I was thinking that it would just be too labor intensive so I was trying to think of something a little less complicated. That was when I though about the paper clips. It was in my post to Merry that I mentioned it.

I was thinking about you when I was going to Walmart. I was thinking the folders you would need to use to implement both:

a X 36 X 3 (number of children)

a= number of subjects

It sounds like a lot of work ;). I also don't think you would be able to fit them. I didn't post because I didn't want to sound like I was trying to discourage you.

Yes, you are right. Too much work and WAY TOO Many folders. :D Paperclips are sounding a lot more feasible. My husband did buy 3 crates though. He was thinking one for each child I'm homeschooling. I could always use them for storing other things.

Separating lessons also, I feel, gives more flexibility. You can grab two if you are covering materials that your kiddos already know well or stick with one longer if they get stuck and this will not mess up your filing system or give you extra work. Well, at least these were the ideas going through my head when I was deciding the best way to implement this for us.

Separating lessons would work very well for something like RS. When we did the samples of RS my dd was begging for more and we did all 4 or 5 lessons in about 20 minutes. I imagine it would slow down as we go along, but it needs to be flexible in that way. So what you were saying makes perfect sense.

ETA: I made some changes to our school area and our boxes will be right next to our school table. If they worked well for you try to see if you could do the same and just have them in your kitchen.

Unfortunately we have an extremely small kitchen. So there is no place for anything else. That's why we had to keep them in the other room.

Guest aquiverfull

When we used the workboxes, we made up the velcro numbers but my dd also ditched those a few months into it. I just made her a weekly schedule that she kept up with and she made tick marks to check off those things completed. She never did the things in order of the numbers anyway. We don't stick with a strict schedule of math first, english next, etc. As long as she does all that she is supposed to, I don't care what order she chooses to do it in. But I think that will have to change somewhat this coming year, since I'm adding in more children. I believe we are going to need a stricter schedule so that we aren't doing school the entire day.

When we used the workboxes, we made up the velcro numbers but my dd also ditched those a few months into it. I just made her a weekly schedule that she kept up with and she made tick marks to check off those things completed. She never did the things in order of the numbers anyway. We don't stick with a strict schedule of math first, english next, etc. As long as she does all that she is supposed to, I don't care what order she chooses to do it in. But I think that will have to change somewhat this coming year, since I'm adding in more children. I believe we are going to need a stricter schedule so that we aren't doing school the entire day.

LOL, my kids don't always go in number order either! However, for drawers that are "time with mom," I make them do those at a specific time no matter where they are in the drawers. So that is the "stricter" part for us, and I'm looser on the rest as long as it all gets done and it all gets put away (no lost books!!). For us the sticker means they've put the books and supplies away before claiming it's "finished."

Merry :-)

Wow! Lots of great ideas, love this thread!!

This is what I've started, please tell me what ya think...

My five children each have their own assigned color for cups, plates, towels, ect.. so I bought them each a crate in their color and 36 file folders in their crate. We are going to divide our work into six week periods so for example, my son's color is green, I will have five green folders and the sixth week will be red so I can visually know it's time to evaluate where he is at. Might use the Tanglewood pacing check sheet.

I know it sounds like alot to have a crate for each child, but my plan is to put everything in their weekly hanging folder - Artist study picture, literature book to read that week, dvd for Science, ect...

On the weekend I will decide what work to keep for their permanent notebook and then will transfer the new weekly work behind dividers in their everyday notebook and any other items (dvd's, math book, jump rope, ...) into their workboxes.

Thanks in advance for for any advice!:)

Does this sound like a good plan?

Wow! Lots of great ideas, love this thread!!

This is what I've started, please tell me what ya think...

My five children each have their own assigned color for cups, plates, towels, ect.. so I bought them each a crate in their color and 36 file folders in their crate. We are going to divide our work into six week periods so for example, my son's color is green, I will have five green folders and the sixth week will be red so I can visually know it's time to evaluate where he is at. Might use the Tanglewood pacing check sheet.

I know it sounds like alot to have a crate for each child, but my plan is to put everything in their weekly hanging folder - Artist study picture, literature book to read that week, dvd for Science, ect...

On the weekend I will decide what work to keep for their permanent notebook and then will transfer the new weekly work behind dividers in their everyday notebook and any other items (dvd's, math book, jump rope, ...) into their workboxes.

Thanks in advance for for any advice!:)

Does this sound like a good plan?

I think it sounds great. i have all my folders in a 2 drawer filing cabinet, but I also have a crate fro each kid with books, art box, etc.

Wow! What a fun thread to catch up on. We had a great camping trip but all I could think about on the way home was getting all my stuff together to start filing, I was motivated to re-read the well trained mind, and am busy thinking of how I can finally manage to get to the wonderful suggestions she has in therre for music and art and languages. We can even easily fit in logic and math fact review and geography review.... Fun fun fun.

Thank you everyone for contributing such wonderful ideas to turn a simile system into a rich and full way of keeping our schoolwork on track next year.

Isn't organizing things most of the fun in homeschooling? Sometimes I think its half the reason i started hs in the first place :001_smile:

Same.

My main issue is scheduling that far ahead; I'm afraid I will lose a lot of the flexibility that makes home schooling work so well for us.

Take math for example. If I planned what to cover with each child over the course of a year, then where does that leave me if they hit a rough patch and need time to cook? Or if they master something quickly and want to move on? This would be an issue especially for my 11yo aspie son because his math skill acquisition has been sporadic, but not for want of regular instruction. I'd have to set very modest goals for him if I planned an entire year in advance!

Thoughts?

Natalie,

I haven't had time to read all the responses yet, but here is my take on this issue. I definitely see where you are coming from, and the flexibility in homeschooling is certainly a plus.... However, I finally realized that for people with my personality, it can also be a curse. The very fact that you can be flexible with your speed at which you accomplish subjects caused me to fall behind every single year. Not because the kids needed time to 'cook', but because aftere the 'cooking' time, we didn't take the time to catch up so we would reach the finish line at a reasonable time.

If you don't have the end in mind when you start, then you will have a harder time getting there. Begin with the end in mind... Isn't that from one of those fancy self help books? Lol

I still believe a little bit every day is far more beneficial than the spurts and stops that I was doing before. That being said, if the kids do need a bit of time to cook, or want to work faster, than there is nothing stopping you from pulling out the math from the next week's folder. It's not as though the pages are glued on there right? For me, the inconvenience of having to do that helped me decide if it was really worth it to go off my planned schedule. It was almost like a check and balance.

As well, having all 36 weeks filed helps you see the big picture, so you clearly see that delaying math for a week will delay you end of school date. At which point you can either decide that you are ok with that or try to find some way to skip some easier math down the road so you do end up finishing on time.

In my mind, there is a big sense of discouragement for both teacher and student when you get to the end of the year and see that all other subjects are done except the last 78 pages of math. In our experience, it has led to a viscous cycle, because we get burned out on math and then end up starting the next year already behind.

I hope that helps. Like I said way back at the beginning of this thread, this system will not work for every family. It works for us, because if I didn't file. Half of it would 't get do e and the rest would be hopelessly disorganized. I love how the filing system is teaching both me AND my children to become more organized and grow in our perseverance.

Thanks to THIS thread I'm now WELL on my way to having a VERY organized and EXCITING school year!!

I'm so busy rushing around getting everything together each morning...yes I mean crafting supplies and making copies of things I forgot and the likes...that the enjoyment went away so fast! I started to just act as a robot and it started to show in our lessons and the kids started asking for more "fun" things..and my reply was "mama just isn't organized enough this morning"..and that led to morning after morning!

Now we have a workbox system ready! We've got our weekly folder system up and ready! AND I've got the ENTIRE year filed in my hanging folders in my desk. I'm SUPER excited!! I'm doing EVERYTHING I can ahead of time. This includes extra notes to myself attached to the folders in my filing drawer...and even putting together project lists of supplies so I can reach into ANY folder at ANY time and know what I'll need and not go out the night before a project and get supplies I forgot we needed...or like lastyear we skipped alot of hands on stuff because I didn't get the supplies needed.

I'm now complete with the ENTIRE year of filing for Science Apologia Botany. I loved LOOKING into the years worth of lessons, planning and all the exciting projects and such things to come. It's so exciting!! I have to finish filing Math and History as I'm gonna be working on in the days and weeks to come.

Thanks to THIS thread I'm now WELL on my way to having a VERY organized and EXCITING school year!!

I'm so busy rushing around getting everything together each morning...yes I mean crafting supplies and making copies of things I forgot and the likes...that the enjoyment went away so fast! I started to just act as a robot and it started to show in our lessons and the kids started asking for more "fun" things..and my reply was "mama just isn't organized enough this morning"..and that led to morning after morning!

Now we have a workbox system ready! We've got our weekly folder system up and ready! AND I've got the ENTIRE year filed in my hanging folders in my desk. I'm SUPER excited!! I'm doing EVERYTHING I can ahead of time. This includes extra notes to myself attached to the folders in my filing drawer...and even putting together project lists of supplies so I can reach into ANY folder at ANY time and know what I'll need and not go out the night before a project and get supplies I forgot we needed...or like lastyear we skipped alot of hands on stuff because I didn't get the supplies needed.

I'm now complete with the ENTIRE year of filing for Science Apologia Botany. I loved LOOKING into the years worth of lessons, planning and all the exciting projects and such things to come. It's so exciting!! I have to finish filing Math and History as I'm gonna be working on in the days and weeks to come.

Hi Mamaofblessings :001_smile::001_smile:

I love the sound of what you have done (and I have children of similar ages with a baby in the mix). I have read this monster thread and I'm pulling myself together as I write! Can you give a specific breakdown on what you've done? How are you using the hanging file folders (what exactly did you do with them? Do you have a hanging folder for each week with manila folders for each child within each week? Or . . . ), the weekly folder system (is this different than your hanging folders?), and the workboxes? I'm trying to see how you're using them all together -- the big picture and then the day by day, week by week breakdown . . . :D I don't know how to ask exactly but maybe I'm making a little sense?

The way you are pulling it together sounds like the way I'd like to. If you have time to summarize your system that would be AWESOME!!!!!!

:D:D:D

I agree with Melanie. Planning is the only way I can get things done, I did this system last year- only 6 weeks ahead of time, and this time I'm doing all 36 weeks. Or maybe I'll do 18 weeks to start. But either way, I'm doing more than 6, it goes by so fast and then I'm having to start all over again for the next 6 weeks! I'd rather just do it all at once. I pretty much know what will work, and just need to have confidence that we can stick with the plan for one year! Like she said, having the finish line and the weekly plan is a lifesaver here.

Can you give a specific breakdown on what you've done? How are you using the hanging file folders (what exactly did you do with them? Do you have a hanging folder for each week with manila folders for each child within each week? Or . . . ), the weekly folder system (is this different than your hanging folders?), and the workboxes?

Hi! :D

I posted pictures in the parent area of this forum if you want to see pictures.

Here is my best description :p

Hang on it's a bumpy ride.

Before using ANY sort of filing or workbox system I had a weekly folder system I was using. I'm still going to use it. It sits on top of our shelving unit and each one of my children have a folder for each day of the week we do school (Mon-Fri). This allows me to file the weekly papers there so when I go to fill their workboxes this coming year I'll have the entire week sorted already and fill the daily workboxes that much easier. Sunday evening I will refill the weekly folders and prep the Monday Workboxes! Confused yet?

Ok now as for my filing system here is what I've done.

I have hanging folders marked as follows

:General Information:

:Holidays: - Inside this hanging folder I have a regular file folder for each month. Allowing me to throw in Valentines craft worksheets/projects ideas AND Christmas if I want to! This way I don't bookmark and forget..these will be in my files so I can add in an extra fun holiday themed unit or project anytime without having to fuss around digging through my computer files or searching websites. Also these are easily sorted and organized by month. I didn't want just one folder and have to sort thru to find something for a specific holiday, I'd be less likely to even open the folder if I did that. So 12 folders are inside this one hanging file folder.

Inside each of these hanging folders I have 8 folders. 4 folders for each month and I broke each month down to a week. So they are labeled July Week One, July Week Two...and so on. I didn't put a date or year as I plan on reusing these and don't really want to redo these again in the next coming years. This was a couple hours of work :p

:Summer - July/August:

:Fall - September/October:

:November/December:

:Winter - January/February:

:Early Spring - March/April:

:Late Spring - May/June:

As for the workbox sytem. I have 2 currently homeschooled kiddos. I will have 3 in the long run so I didn't have the room to put drawers for each subject per child up in my house. We just haven't the room. So instead I purchased a 4 tier shelving unit from Walmart for $15. This shelf is small enough to fit into a small area in our schooling area but it's big enough to fit the hanging file folder crate on each shelf. Making it perfect for the workbox system. I have 4 crates. The top crate is labeled "Our Workbox" this will be filled with the subjects that we do together, such as Science and History. Then my oldest dd has a workbox with the velcro numbers and clear bags that I got at the Dollar Tree with velcro numbers on those to match the workbox numbers on the front. Inside I can put her work in them. These are large enough for heavy workbooks, text books, puzzles, counting tools and more. I also have a workbox setup just like my oldest dd for my middler. Then on the bottom shelf I have made a workbox for my 16m old son. This will help me out ALOT during school hours when he feels left out. Inside I've put tupperware with lids for his playdough, his army and police guys I purchased at the Dollar Tree along with a cup to sort them in by color. I also have purchase HUGE pom poms and have sorted them out so he can play with them and sort them too as he grows into that learning curve. Also inside I've included some fun board books and a magnadoodle that he LOVES to play with. I've also got him a cookie sheet inside with a couple butterfly magnet pom pom activities that I printed and laminated for him to do. I'm going to also sew up some bright colored bean bags for him to play with as well during school hours.

Does this clear it up? Or did I just confuse you more? :001_smile:

Natalie,

I haven't had time to read all the responses yet, but here is my take on this issue. I definitely see where you are coming from, and the flexibility in homeschooling is certainly a plus.... However, I finally realized that for people with my personality, it can also be a curse. The very fact that you can be flexible with your speed at which you accomplish subjects caused me to fall behind every single year. Not because the kids needed time to 'cook', but because aftere the 'cooking' time, we didn't take the time to catch up so we would reach the finish line at a reasonable time.

If you don't have the end in mind when you start, then you will have a harder time getting there. Begin with the end in mind... Isn't that from one of those fancy self help books? Lol

Another excellent quote!

I still believe a little bit every day is far more beneficial than the spurts and stops that I was doing before. That being said, if the kids do need a bit of time to cook, or want to work faster, than there is nothing stopping you from pulling out the math from the next week's folder. It's not as though the pages are glued on there right? For me, the inconvenience of having to do that helped me decide if it was really worth it to go off my planned schedule. It was almost like a check and balance.

This is me as well! I cant tell you how many times I've tossed out half a curriculum at the end of the year! So we miss one HUGE chunk instead of skipping over or skimming bits and peices!

As well, having all 36 weeks filed helps you see the big picture, so you clearly see that delaying math for a week will delay you end of school date. At which point you can either decide that you are ok with that or try to find some way to skip some easier math down the road so you do end up finishing on time.

In my mind, there is a big sense of discouragement for both teacher and student when you get to the end of the year and see that all other subjects are done except the last 78 pages of math. In our experience, it has led to a viscous cycle, because we get burned out on math and then end up starting the next year already behind.

Yep Yep Yep

I hope that helps. Like I said way back at the beginning of this thread, this system will not work for every family. It works for us, because if I didn't file. Half of it would 't get do e and the rest would be hopelessly disorganized. I love how the filing system is teaching both me AND my children to become more organized and grow in our perseverance.

Natalie,

Thank you for sharing all that, Melanie. You've given me a lot to think about!

So we miss one HUGE chunk instead of skipping over or skimming bits and peices!
This something I need to learn how to do. It would relieve a lot of stress.

I think home schoolers all too often climb onto the Mastery Bandwagon--which is a great bandwagon to climb onto--without realizing that maybe they should get off and do something else for a while.

I have joined the ranks! I made 36 folders and tore apart almost all of my ds's workbooks. I decided against tearing up the CLE LA and Math workbooks because each book has 2 quizzes and a test. I think keeping it together will be better for test review.

In the folders he has BJU Bible and Reading, several critical thinking workbook pages, REAL Science Odyssey pages, daily geography practice, and some art project ideas.

I made monthly folders where I will be putting library lists, supply lists, etc. Next thing to do is figure out if it can even work for dd. I really don't think so. Bummer! It would be fun.

I've enjoyed this thread so much. Thanks to all who kept it going!

Hi! :D

I posted pictures in the parent area of this forum if you want to see pictures.

Here is my best description :p

Hang on it's a bumpy ride.

Before using ANY sort of filing or workbox system I had a weekly folder system I was using. I'm still going to use it. It sits on top of our shelving unit and each one of my children have a folder for each day of the week we do school (Mon-Fri). This allows me to file the weekly papers there so when I go to fill their workboxes this coming year I'll have the entire week sorted already and fill the daily workboxes that much easier. Sunday evening I will refill the weekly folders and prep the Monday Workboxes! Confused yet?

Ok now as for my filing system here is what I've done.

I have hanging folders marked as follows

:General Information:

:Holidays: - Inside this hanging folder I have a regular file folder for each month. Allowing me to throw in Valentines craft worksheets/projects ideas AND Christmas if I want to! This way I don't bookmark and forget..these will be in my files so I can add in an extra fun holiday themed unit or project anytime without having to fuss around digging through my computer files or searching websites. Also these are easily sorted and organized by month. I didn't want just one folder and have to sort thru to find something for a specific holiday, I'd be less likely to even open the folder if I did that. So 12 folders are inside this one hanging file folder.

Inside each of these hanging folders I have 8 folders. 4 folders for each month and I broke each month down to a week. So they are labeled July Week One, July Week Two...and so on. I didn't put a date or year as I plan on reusing these and don't really want to redo these again in the next coming years. This was a couple hours of work :p

:Summer - July/August:

:Fall - September/October:

:November/December:

:Winter - January/February:

:Early Spring - March/April:

:Late Spring - May/June:

As for the workbox sytem. I have 2 currently homeschooled kiddos. I will have 3 in the long run so I didn't have the room to put drawers for each subject per child up in my house. We just haven't the room. So instead I purchased a 4 tier shelving unit from Walmart for $15. This shelf is small enough to fit into a small area in our schooling area but it's big enough to fit the hanging file folder crate on each shelf. Making it perfect for the workbox system. I have 4 crates. The top crate is labeled "Our Workbox" this will be filled with the subjects that we do together, such as Science and History. Then my oldest dd has a workbox with the velcro numbers and clear bags that I got at the Dollar Tree with velcro numbers on those to match the workbox numbers on the front. Inside I can put her work in them. These are large enough for heavy workbooks, text books, puzzles, counting tools and more. I also have a workbox setup just like my oldest dd for my middler. Then on the bottom shelf I have made a workbox for my 16m old son. This will help me out ALOT during school hours when he feels left out. Inside I've put tupperware with lids for his playdough, his army and police guys I purchased at the Dollar Tree along with a cup to sort them in by color. I also have purchase HUGE pom poms and have sorted them out so he can play with them and sort them too as he grows into that learning curve. Also inside I've included some fun board books and a magnadoodle that he LOVES to play with. I've also got him a cookie sheet inside with a couple butterfly magnet pom pom activities that I printed and laminated for him to do. I'm going to also sew up some bright colored bean bags for him to play with as well during school hours.

Does this clear it up? Or did I just confuse you more? :001_smile:

:001_smile:THANK YOU! Not confusing at all . . . I actually planned to use crates so hearing that you are doing that for workboxes is fantastic. Thanks for sharing the specifics . . . my muddled brain needs that help!!!! Great job getting so organized. I like your ideas for your toddler too :D.

I'm going to go look for those pictures now!

This something I need to learn how to do. It would relieve a lot of stress.

I think home schoolers all too often climb onto the Mastery Bandwagon--which is a great bandwagon to climb onto--without realizing that maybe they should get off and do something else for a while.

I think you can get mastery WITH OUT doing every single page of every single book. What if u took say a workbook page in math that wasnt completed and cut it into strips and put those strips into the next week. Sorta tacking two or three review problems onto another days assignment. Sorta like a warm up daily.. And then if there are still mastery issues then make 2 or 3 problem drill pages and toss them in the next weeks folder. You see what I mean? So your not waiting on Lesson X to be done before you move on to Lesson Y.. They only way this will back fire is if the step has to be mastered before doing something new. But even then.. Once its mastered then you can do the same thing with the next step..

Was that confusing? There just has to be a way to keep moving with out holding the whole year back.

I made monthly folders where I will be putting library lists, supply lists, etc. Next thing to do is figure out if it can even work for dd. I really don't think so. Bummer! It would be fun.

Just had a lightbulb moment when I read this. I was just thinking about how a week or two in advance to get library books and supplies might not be enough time, but I didnt want to shuffle all my plans from folder to folder either, so making a monthly list and filing it in the monthly folder is a GREAT idea. I can check library books out for 6 weeks and be a month ahead on supplies will be great. I am going to add another crate for "next months supplies" to my shelves.

Just had a lightbulb moment when I read this. I was just thinking about how a week or two in advance to get library books and supplies might not be enough time, but I didnt want to shuffle all my plans from folder to folder either, so making a monthly list and filing it in the monthly folder is a GREAT idea. I can check library books out for 6 weeks and be a month ahead on supplies will be great. I am going to add another crate for "next months supplies" to my shelves.

I'm glad I could help someone with an idea. I will be using the folder for those and the things I'll do with both kids. We'll be doing devotionals together as well as some music/art stuff, history read alouds, and history projects.

Guest aquiverfull

I think I've decided to just set up 9 weeks at a time. I really wanted to do all 36 ahead of time. Since I'm unsure about how to schedule some of our programs, I think this will work better. Maybe as we work through these I can get a better idea and then schedule out the rest of the year.

So I've decided to set up a crate for each child (for me that's 3). I still haven't decided how I'll set up the folders. But here's two options I'm considering:

Option 1: Have 9 regular file folders and 1 Hanging Folder. Inside the Hanging Folder, I'll have 5 regular folders marked Monday - Friday. Every week I'll move another week into the hanging folder files, separating the work into days, and take the week we're currently on and stick them into a binder. So If we are on week 2, I'll place week 2 work into our weekly binder. At that same time, I'll place week 3's work into the hanging folder to be ready to go into the binder for next week . This will also help me to see what's coming up, remind me of supplies I need to gather, or check library books out, etc.

Option #2. I'll have 9 hanging file folders for each child. Within each of those I'll have 5 regular file folders for Monday -Friday. I'll just move each week into the weekly binder on the previous weekend. Then I'll make a separate folder for me for teacher's notes- such as supply lists, library books list, etc.

I already own a lot of plain file folders and already have a crate for each child. That way setting up a crate for each child will help to keep it separate, save me $$, and help me to use what I already have. If I don't do it this way, I'll have to buy colored folders for each child. Option 1 would save me money on hanging files, but there not that expensive so I might just go with option 2. This will leave a lot of room in each crate. So I'll probably just keep the books and workbooks that haven't been torn up yet in there too.

I hope this helps someone. Thanks to all of you who helped me figure this out. :) All of your ideas have been so helpful!

Thanks to Catholicmommy's suggestion in another thread, I finally figured out how I was going to set up my file system. My main problem was that we do either History or Science each day and do a topic for however long it takes - could be 3 days, could be a month. So, I didn't want to file this stuff by week since I never know how long we'll be doing something and I didn't want to constantly be shuffling things around.

In a crate I will have weekly hanging folders that will contain 2 internal folders - 1 for each of my kids. In each internal folder each day/subject will be paperclipped together. I'm doing my workboxes by week since I never have time to reload them each day. I have magazine holders where each days stuff is paperclipped together. Since most of our stuff is paper, this should work.

So, each week's folder will contain:

For DS:

-ETC pages and a matching emergent reader

-AAS - check off sheet and blank template for spelling words

-MEP pages for two lessons a week and an index card noting what other supplies are needed so they can be put in workbox (we do MEP Tues/Thurs)

-Time/Money workbook pages (we do Monday and alternate each week)

-Activities for RS Abacus - workbook pages or index card indicating what to do for next lesson (I have to look closer at book to see if its logical to tear up, we do this Wednesday).

-Fine Motor Skills - Kumon cutting pages and Mazes pages

-Check-List for Read-Aloud/Literature Selections that will move each week.

-A Check-list for our History and Science themes (I already have a plan in excel) that gets moved from week to week with list of books/resources to obtain.

For DD:

-Letter and Number pages - usually bingo dabber/sticker pages - just a fun thing for her to do while ds is working.

-Possibly MEP reception pages if she shows interest.

In the back of the crate will be folders for each of our themes or Holidays with:

-worksheets or fun craft activities for each Holiday

-Each History topic - Mosaic lesson plan pages, checklist or index card showing what SOTW pages and additional readings (UILEWH), SOTW AG pages and maps, description of activities

-Each Science topic - Checklist or index card showing BFSU lesson plan pages, additional reading and activities. Any worksheets/lab recording pages.

I'm trying to decide if Index cards will work or if I should use full pages to keep them from getting lost at the bottom of a folder.

I think I've decided to just set up 9 weeks at a time. I really wanted to do all 36 ahead of time. Since I'm unsure about how to schedule some of our programs, I think this will work better. Maybe as we work through these I can get a better idea and then schedule out the rest of the year.

So I've decided to set up a crate for each child (for me that's 3). I still haven't decided how I'll set up the folders. But here's two options I'm considering:

Option 1: Have 9 regular file folders and 1 Hanging Folder. Inside the Hanging Folder, I'll have 5 regular folders marked Monday - Friday. Every week I'll move another week into the hanging folder files, separating the work into days, and take the week we're currently on and stick them into a binder. So If we are on week 2, I'll place week 2 work into our weekly binder. At that same time, I'll place week 3's work into the hanging folder to be ready to go into the binder for next week . This will also help me to see what's coming up, remind me of supplies I need to gather, or check library books out, etc.

Option #2. I'll have 9 hanging file folders for each child. Within each of those I'll have 5 regular file folders for Monday -Friday. I'll just move each week into the weekly binder on the previous weekend. Then I'll make a separate folder for me for teacher's notes- such as supply lists, library books list, etc.

I already own a lot of plain file folders and already have a crate for each child. That way setting up a crate for each child will help to keep it separate, save me $$, and help me to use what I already have. If I don't do it this way, I'll have to buy colored folders for each child. Option 1 would save me money on hanging files, but there not that expensive so I might just go with option 2. This will leave a lot of room in each crate. So I'll probably just keep the books and workbooks that haven't been torn up yet in there too.

I hope this helps someone. Thanks to all of you who helped me figure this out. :) All of your ideas have been so helpful!

I already had a box of plain file folders so what I did was buy the colored sticker tabs. I use hot pink for DD and hot orange for the boys. Easy to see and grab!

Guest aquiverfull

I'm trying to decide if Index cards will work or if I should use full pages to keep them from getting lost at the bottom of a folder.

Your plan looks great! :)

I believe what some are doing is attaching a library pocket to the front of the folder to hold the index cards.

Guest aquiverfull
I already had a box of plain file folders so what I did was buy the colored sticker tabs. I use hot pink for DD and hot orange for the boys. Easy to see and grab!

Hmmm.. I never thought of the colored labels. That is a good idea. I might have to go this route and include an option #3....:D

You guys have had me in a quandary since I broke down and opened this thread last night, devouring every page. I couldn't even go to sleep last night, because I was thinking about this.

I had come up with such an organized little system and now I am totally re-thinking it. :toetap05:

One of the things that I did last year with my filing system was to think about the littles as well. I had a 4yr old, and two 3 year olds, as well as my school age monkeys :001_smile:. Often when the big kids had a fun worksheet or coloring page to do, the littles started to demand to do school too.... So I decided to add a folder for them as well.

In the preschool folders I had:

-copies of sheets the big kids were doing that week

-watercolor paper for the weeks that the bigs were doing painting in artistic pursuits

-worksheets printed from starfall

-kumon books ripped apart

-rod and staff preschool series ripped apart

-a few file folder games I actually had the time to make once upon a time

Other ideas you could try:

- coloring pages themed to the history or science your big kids are studying

- printables from the toymaker.com

- plans for doing FIAR or BFIAR. (wow, now this is something I would like to try as I always felt like I just didn't have time)

- recipes for play dough or cookies etc... To remind you to have fun with the littles

Hmmm.. I never thought of the colored labels. That is a good idea. I might have to go this route and include an option #3....:D

I like the colored labels too! That's a great idea. Last year, I labeled eAch folder with the week number with a sharpie. Red for my girl and green for my boy. I needed to have the numbers on the folders in case something crazy like my toddler started 'helping' with the filing.