Menu

I pretty much do the same. I've got 2 of our subjects completely planned out on paper so far. I made them by week but it's just my schedule to help keep us on track. Just so I can kinda see where we are, what we have left, etc.. I also make a weekly schedule for my dd. She uses this as her daily checklist. I did that this past school year but I always did it on Monday. So I never felt really as organized as I wanted to be. I would be trying to move things around we didn't get to the previous week, shuffling this and that. It seems like something always got dropped or pushed back. When I saw this new filing system idea, I hoped it would help with some of that. :)

I need to figure out just how I can make this work for me. I do need some flexibility since like you said, you don't want to be constantly shuffling around, but I also need some structure to keep me going. Thanks for sharing your ideas, it helps me to sort out mine.

Yes--my concern too is the adjustments you would need to make to fit the learner. That's one of the main points of homeschooling--to be able to tailor to your child. Planning out 36 weeks a the front end seems to be counterproductive. However I do see doing this by breaking units up into a logical sequence of folders, so if I needed to add something in, there would be the flexibility to do that. Hmmmmm. I can see the appeal.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see how the filing system is great for those who need to check things off. ;)

I'm not one who needs to check things off. This just really simplifies things for us. For years we just did the next lesson in each book and ended when we ended. The appeal to setting up binders or folders for the year is that the girls know exactly what they need to do each week, their work is portable, and no one can say they couldn't do it because they couldn't find their workbooks. They do school at our church once a week while I'm in Bible Study. Before I started binders, the girls were always running around trying to find books, etc... Half the time they would forget a book. After the binders, it was easy.

We did binders with 6 wks of work in them last year. The girls loved it. It put them in control of their week. They knew what had to be done. If they wanted to work ahead n one subject, they could. They're learning how to manage their time. I rarely let them roll work over to the next week. So, if they didn't want to do school on Saturday or at night, they didn't waste time during the day.

There were occasions when I realized that I had assigned too much work and had to roll some over to the next week. For that reason, I think I will not fill out weekly lesson plans for more than a month to start. Then I won't have to change too much is I over estimated.

I'm not really a person who is super organized. In fact, I'm generally the opposite. This has real practical benefits, though. So far, I have my hanging files set up in a crate with color coded files for each dd labeled by week (no dates, wk 1, wk 2,...) I have filed some of TOG, Math Mammoth, Words on the Vine, and Spelling.

I'm excited about this system over just binders for 2 reasons - 1. I will have less work to do during the year. 2. The girls will only have to carry around a small binder with one week of work. Thank-you to whoever started this thread!

Guest aquiverfull

I'm not really a person who is super organized. In fact, I'm generally the opposite. This has real practical benefits, though. So far, I have my hanging files set up in a crate with color coded files for each dd labeled by week (no dates, wk 1, wk 2,...) I have filed some of TOG, Math Mammoth, Words on the Vine, and Spelling.

I love your ideas, but can you clarify a bit?

I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You have a file for TOG, one for MM, etc.. then within those separate files you have a different colored weekly folder for each child? Where are you using the hanging files? Are you using regular file folders inside of the hanging ones? I'm just trying to work out how I want to do it in my head. Thanks!

Of course Corbie really needs to answer but since she's not here and I am, this is what it sounds like to me:

She has all the weeks number in hanging folders. Then, each dd has a color coded file in that week. And so far, she has filed papers for TOG, MM, Words on the Vine, and spelling.

That is how it sounds to me. It is how I am doing it, so perhaps that is why I am reading it that way.:) Now, hopefully Corbie will read this soon and answer......

Guest aquiverfull

Thanks woolybear!

Ok, please forgive my ignorance here, I need to have things really spelled out for me. :blush: So you are saying you plan to have 36 hanging file folders? Within "week 1" hanging file folder you will have one folder for history assignments for child #1 & a different color folder for history assignments for child #2, etc... Then you will have another folder for Math for child #1 and a different colored folder for Math for child #2? All of this within the "week 1" hanging file folder? I don't have any hanging file folders here and it's been a while since I've seen one, can they hold a good amount of regular folders? Am I understanding you correctly?

I am still working on all of this, but this is what I am thinking.....I will have 36 hanging file folders. Within "week 1" I will have two folders--one each for each child, with all their paper work that can be filed. Then, they will each have a portable file box with hanging folders. I haven't decided about this part, but I am considering breaking down their papers into subject files in their boxes. That way I am just doing this at the beginning of the week. In the main file crate their work will be in their folders all together. Does that make sense?

Thanks woolybear!

Ok, please forgive my ignorance here, I need to have things really spelled out for me. :blush: So you are saying you plan to have 36 hanging file folders? Within "week 1" hanging file folder you will have one folder for history assignments for child #1 & a different color folder for history assignments for child #2, etc... Then you will have another folder for Math for child #1 and a different colored folder for Math for child #2? All of this within the "week 1" hanging file folder? I don't have any hanging file folders here and it's been a while since I've seen one, can they hold a good amount of regular folders? Am I understanding you correctly?

Just to give you another "view" I have my folders set up and I just need to put the papers in. In my file box I have 36 hanging folders (yellow ones because that's my favorite color) labeled Week 1- Week 36. Then in each one of those folders I have 3 manilla folders (I had these laying around) which I labeled with my 3 childrens names and the week #. So in the Week 1 yellow hanging folder there are 3 manilla folders labeled Everett-week 1, Annika-week 1, Lucas-week 1. In those manilla folders I'll put all the papers that child will need during that week. So for example Everett-week 1 would have 3 Growing with Grammar worksheets, 5 Horizons math worksheets, any worksheets needed for science and history, a source text worksheet or lined paper needed for IEW, and some lined paper for any All About Spelling steps we get through. Annika-week 1 would have 5 McRuffy math worksheets, 5 McRuffy LA worksheets, 5 HWOT pages, and any history or science worksheets needed for the week. Lucas-week 1 would have 5 McRuffy LA worksheets, 5 McRuffy math worksheets and 2 McRuffy Science worksheets (if there are any for that weeks lessons).

Some weeks I may add in a specific paper we'd need for art or anything other non-routine, non-core items we may want to do.

I'll do the same for Weeks 2-36 during the summer so when school starts I can move things to their weekly work binders.

Each of my kids have a 1 inch binder with pocket dividers in it for the days of the week. Sunday night I'll take the week 1 folder (or what ever week were on) out and place the worksheets in my kinds binders according to what day

things will be done.

I like the idea of setting things up by week so when we need a break it's no problem, we'll just pick up the following week (or after our break is over) with the next weekly folder, but those weekly folders aren't tied to any specific calendar dates.

HTH give you an idea of how it could be set up.

I'm here!

OK - I have a crate with hanging files - no labels. You could label them, but I don't see the need. In the first hanging file, I have a colored file for each dd. For example, dd#1's files are all green. In the first hanging file, her green file is labeled "Week 1". In that file, I put all her work for that week - all her MM, TOG, etc... I also have a weekly lesson plan sheet with the assignments for each day. DD#2 has blue folders with her work. DD#3 has purple. I even made some for dd#4. She's only 3, but I'm putting Kumon workbook sheets and other crafts/games. I won't do a year at a time for her. The next hanging file holds all the "week 2" folders, and so on.

Anyway, I have folders for 36 weeks. I'm not using dates so that we have some flexibility. I will date the weekly lesson plans, though. This helps me know when we will be doing things, finishing things. It also serves as a good record for what we have done afterward.

Hope that made more sense. :)

Guest aquiverfull

Woolybear- Yes it makes sense. Thank you so much for spelling it out for me. :)

Nukeswife- Thank you so much for your very specific plan. That really helps me to see all the little details. I also plan to use a weekly binder. Happy Birthday by the way!! :)

Corbie- Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense and I also want to just use weeks instead of calendar dates. I know it will be a mess if I try to stick with actual dates. I'm thinking of doing this system for 3 of my dds. The youngest in this system is 4 years old. I know I won't have a lot of things in her folders but she really enjoys workbook pages and coloring. So I'll get some things to keep her happy.

Thank you all again for helping me to clearly see how this can work. I'm still thinking about how exactly I want to set this up. I enjoy hearing how you are all doing it.

I am seriously thinking of ditching my weekly binders for the modified version of workboxes (with the drawer system) but I only have two kiddos ;) so it shouldn't take up too much space. I will be getting some for my little guy too since I know I won't hear the end of it if I don't :tongue_smilie:. He just wants to do everything big brother does. I will be going out to get my stuff soon :D.
I bought my plastic drawers at Walmart.

I am seriously thinking of ditching my weekly binders for the modified version of workboxes (with the drawer system) but I only have two kiddos ;) so it shouldn't take up too much space. I will be getting some for my little guy too since I know I won't hear the end of it if I don't :tongue_smilie:. He just wants to do everything big brother does. I will be going out to get my stuff soon :D.

We use drawers for workboxes--I have a description & pictures in my siggy link. The description is from a year ago but that's still how we do it, works for us! We get more done, don't lose anything and our day has a better flow.

I can't quite figure out what to do with the file idea here, but mulling it over, I'm in the midst of setting up for school here too!

Merry :-)

We use drawers for workboxes--I have a description & pictures in my siggy link. The description is from a year ago but that's still how we do it, works for us! We get more done, don't lose anything and our day has a better flow.

I can't quite figure out what to do with the file idea here, but mulling it over, I'm in the midst of setting up for school here too!

Hi Merry,

How do you maintain momentum for filling those drawers every. single. day? Plus, how did you handle the whole velcro-number-this-drawer-is-completed stuff? Our numbers kept falling off no matter what I did b/c the velcro was so strong it caused the laminated number cards to pull apart repeatedly. :rolleyes:

I found I lost the drive to keep loading the drawers, and when the numbers started falling off right and left, I quit. Ideas?

Right now I'm leaning toward the file crate, 36 hanging folders, 3 folders in each (3 kids), then pulling each folder out once a week and transferring it to a working binder for each child. I'm not sure if I'll have the binder subdivided into four days M-Th or not. I have a general schedule made up and will have one for each child so they have a general idea of what to do when, but it won't have specific assignments, just the subject and rough time slot (really just an order of events).

One thing that's really bugging me is the ripping-apart of workbooks. So many of our workbooks are open-and-go, a two-page spread done at one time. (Spectrum stuff - love these.) The idea of having to transfer pages from one week to the next so the back can be done kind of bugs me.

For those of you who are going to organize this by subject, I have a question.

Are you going to put 36 folders for the weeks within the subject areas?

I like the idea of organizing by subject. Yet, I really also love the idea of having the 36 weeks all sorted out. I plan to do a weekly binder. That way I can just pull from the weekly folders from the various subjects and put in the binder for my dd that week. However, if I plan by each subject and have 36 weekly folders within each subject it's going to end up being a ton of folders. Am I over thinking this?

When I have planned for a subject but not incorporated into weekly folders, I have used paperclips (so technical) to separate lessons.

Ok, I have the first 13 weeks done for dd6 (except for math waiting on that to arrive). So here is what I settled on. I have 4 hanging folders for dd6. Each one is labeled 1st 9 weeks, 2nd 9weeks, 3rd 9 weeks, 4th 9 weeks. In each hanging folder are plain folders labeled week1, week 2 and so on. I separate her work by the day. Paperclip each day and put a sticky note on the front for the day of the week and then place it all in that week's folder. I will be setting up our workboxes soon so my plan is each day I can just go to the folder pull out the next day's work and place it in the correct workboxes. I will also print out an assignment sheet with boxes to check off. Looking sooooooo forward to being better organized this year!!

One thing that's really bugging me is the ripping-apart of workbooks. So many of our workbooks are open-and-go, a two-page spread done at one time. (Spectrum stuff - love these.) The idea of having to transfer pages from one week to the next so the back can be done kind of bugs me.

This part is annoying me too, but I ran it through my head and just wrote a note on the page that needs to be transferred. I am making a weekly To Do Binder with 5 folders in it for the 5 days (we are really only doing 4 days of Core subjects, but the 5th is for catch up) So this way I can just transfer the page to the next folder. If I have to transfer one to the next week, I will just put it in the day one folder for next week. I LOVE post its so I will make a note of any "transfers" also just to make sure ot all gets where it needs to go.

This part is annoying me too, but I ran it through my head and just wrote a note on the page that needs to be transferred.

I did this for things like memory work that needs to be reviewed each day. However, I have decided against ripping up our math workbooks. It is just as easy for us to have the workbook on the shelf with each child's workboxes and place it in the correct box each day.

Guest aquiverfull

I've decided I'm ok with ripping apart workbooks. For my 11 year old the only workbooks she has are CLE Math and Latin for Children. The LFC people are BRILLIANT. They don't print a new lesson on the back of a previous one, so it'll all be perfect. :)

CLE on the other hand has almost all new lessons on the same page with previous ones. I plan to just make a note and transfer them to the next folder, although it does irk me too.

Edited by aquiverfull

This part is annoying me too, but I ran it through my head and just wrote a note on the page that needs to be transferred. I am making a weekly To Do Binder with 5 folders in it for the 5 days (we are really only doing 4 days of Core subjects, but the 5th is for catch up) So this way I can just transfer the page to the next folder. If I have to transfer one to the next week, I will just put it in the day one folder for next week. I LOVE post its so I will make a note of any "transfers" also just to make sure ot all gets where it needs to go.
Hmmm....chewing....

Hi Merry,

How do you maintain momentum for filling those drawers every. single. day?

Well first, I hardly ever change things, LOL! Sometimes I change out what's in the writing drawer--copywork or various assignments. With the other drawers, I have my kids return their work to the drawer, then I correct all at once in the afternoon, evening, or just before school starts (preferably not option 3, LOL!). I just open the drawer, correct the work, and if it's all right I put it back in the drawer. If we need to go over the work or go over the assignment for the next day, it goes in the top drawer (which is "time with mom" for us). I'd have to do something with their corrected work anyway, and it's easy to just put it right back in the drawer--and I correct the work right by the drawers, so it's handy.

After the kids do time with mom, it's their job to put any of those books back in the right drawer. I labeled the drawers to make this easier for us all to remember.

Plus, how did you handle the whole velcro-number-this-drawer-is-completed stuff? Our numbers kept falling off no matter what I did b/c the velcro was so strong it caused the laminated number cards to pull apart repeatedly. :rolleyes:

I got lucky I guess, I never had this problem. I didn't use the velcro dots, I used a strip of velcro with adhesive that I cut into squares. Maybe the adhesive was stickier? I don't know! I was always wishing I had those cute little dots but maybe the strip I had is better?

Maybe they could have a wipe-off chart on the wall to X off the drawers as they do them instead?

Could you just put the whole workbook into their folders and use them like you have been? Each week you could just move the workbook to the next folder. I never tear worksheets out either, my kids know to do the next page or lesson in those types of books, or I use post-it notes to say to skip a page or to skip ahead to this point etc... Someone awhile back gave the idea to use red & green post-its to mark where to start and stop reading or working--that worked well for us this year too.

We're pretty similar to momteaches2 http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1824036&postcount=63

If anyone likes visuals :001_smile: here is an old blog post showing what we do. We've evolved since then and pull 5-6 wks at a time to put in the DC working folders.

I don't like to fill/enrich our work folders or organise further ahead than that as life happens and then it feels like we've missed piles of work instead of just a week or two here & there :tongue_smilie:

I also only allocate a weeks worth of work with HST at a time, makes it easier to reassign or skip small amounts instead of huge chunks of data.

Neat thread by the way, I'm learning some new extra tips.

Edited by Tuesdays Child

Guest aquiverfull

Marie,

I don't know how I missed your idea about paperclips. It's so simple but I think it will be effective. I'm still thinking how I want to set up our folders but I'll most likely just use 36 hanging folders with colored folders for each child and paperclips dividing up the subjects. I don't know. I think I have those same sterilite boxes you are referring to with the holes in them. I love your idea of sewing on numbers...VERY COOL.

Workboxes worked ok for us. However, we didn't end up staying with it all year. It did transform our homeschool though, it helped us to be more organized and kept my dd from dwaddling so much. She worked much more efficiently with them. I'm hoping the weekly binder will do the same. I had used magazine holders for our workboxes but I simply don't have the space for all those boxes now that I'm homeschooling 3 children.

Plus we homeschool at the kitchen table and kept our workboxes in another room. Going back and forth got old. The binders will be a little easier on portability.

Tuesdayschild- I love your blog. Thanks for all the great visuals. :)

I also enjoy having just a few pages in our working binders rather than a pile of workbooks (besides our other books and materials) all over our school table.
Oooooohhhhhh I think you just gave me a really good reason to ante up and rip 'em apart. We have an enormous table in our classroom, but with three kids' worth of stuff; mom's coffee mug, red pencils, stickers, and post-it notes; and other stray things that make it on to the table, it. drives. me. insane.

Workbooks all over the table vs. one binder. Well, the workbox drawers kept all the mess off the table, too, but the whole number issue bugs me.

-----------

I got lucky I guess, I never had this problem. I didn't use the velcro dots, I used a strip of velcro with adhesive that I cut into squares. Maybe the adhesive was stickier? I don't know! I was always wishing I had those cute little dots but maybe the strip I had is better?

I didn't use the dots either. I used strips of velcro that I cut up, too, because it was cheaper. What did you use for your numbers? Maybe that's where I went wrong.

I tore up SWO and a preschool workbook for my boys and it was FUN :-) I cannot stand clutter AT ALL. A million piles of books would drive me crazy, but I was also nervous about tearing up a pretty workbook. Yikes my OCD will not get the best of me :lol:

I tore up SWO and a preschool workbook for my boys and it was FUN :-) I cannot stand clutter AT ALL. A million piles of books would drive me crazy, but I was also nervous about tearing up a pretty workbook. Yikes my OCD will not get the best of me :lol:
See, all those loose papers = clutter to me. I like everything being bound, hence my hesitation to rip them apart.

See, all those loose papers = clutter to me. I like everything being bound, hence my hesitation to rip them apart.

that is sooo funny that we have different ideas of clutter. I never thought of that. Having everything filed in a drawer and no workbooks lying around sounds like heaven to me, yet opposite to you. :001_smile:

that is sooo funny that we have different ideas of clutter. I never thought of that. Having everything filed in a drawer and no workbooks lying around sounds like heaven to me, yet opposite to you. :001_smile:
The key is the "filed in a drawer" part. :D I am terrible about filing things because I can truly say with all sincerity that once it is filed, I have to work hard to remember it exists.

Out of sight, out of mind.

if you are scheduling out the whole year?

Like I am looking at some Elemental Chem, Math Mammoth, and SOTW plans and I love that they all have a lot of links and "extras" but I am wondering if I should check out all the links now and save them on my computer so I am super ready or should I just follow as we go along as time allows?

I dont want to over analyze things, yet I need to be super organized as I am new to this and will be babysitting also. I also do not want to make too much work for myself. Simple, right? ;)

Maybe I should just do a basic plan and then as I divide up my weekly files into my DD's Daily To Do folders for the week I can add more details to my plans? as I am rambling about this I think that I will start with a generalized 36 week plan (or 6 weeks for MM) and then add details as I go. I think I wont be so overwhelmed if I have all the basics there to rely on and then as I get time I can run through specifics.

Anyways...if you made it this far....how do you do it??

if you are scheduling out the whole year?

Like I am looking at some Elemental Chem, Math Mammoth, and SOTW plans and I love that they all have a lot of links and "extras" but I am wondering if I should check out all the links now and save them on my computer so I am super ready or should I just follow as we go along as time allows?

I dont want to over analyze things, yet I need to be super organized as I am new to this and will be babysitting also. I also do not want to make too much work for myself. Simple, right? ;)

Maybe I should just do a basic plan and then as I divide up my weekly files into my DD's Daily To Do folders for the week I can add more details to my plans? as I am rambling about this I think that I will start with a generalized 36 week plan (or 6 weeks for MM) and then add details as I go. I think I wont be so overwhelmed if I have all the basics there to rely on and then as I get time I can run through specifics.

Anyways...if you made it this far....how do you do it??

Maybe you should start a s/o thread addressing lesson plans alongside this filing system method...? I'd love some feedback as well and I'm thinking it might get buried here.

kwickimom,

to do a spin off thread you need to post it as a new thread. I've been lurking on this thread and really would like to see the answers to your ?, also. I know that you will receive lots more answers out on the board as your own post.

kwickimom,

to do a spin off thread you need to post it as a new thread. I've been lurking on this thread and really would like to see the answers to your ?, also. I know that you will receive lots more answers out on the board as your own post.

sorry, I will fix it. I had like 5 windows opened on my computer and DH just had called us all for breakfst and I put it in the wrong place :tongue_smilie:

OMGosh! I've been away for a few days and this thread grew like 10 pages!!!

Did anyone have a Q directed at me? I read about to page 20 LOL when I got side tracked.

Im so glad everyone is really like the filing thing! Im loving it as well. We had our first week of school and then were on a trip for 5 days and I took my week 2 and stuck in thier binders and I believe we are ready for week 2 on Monday with little to no prep from me~ Whoot!

I didn't use the dots either. I used strips of velcro that I cut up, too, because it was cheaper. What did you use for your numbers? Maybe that's where I went wrong.

I printed them on cardstock and then "laminated" with reddi-roll (because I always have that around!). I wonder if Sue Patrick has dealt with this issue & has any solutions? Seems like it comes up a lot & maybe I just got lucky for some reason?!

We had our first week of school and then were on a trip for 5 days and I took my week 2 and stuck in thier binders and I believe we are ready for week 2 on Monday with little to no prep from me~ Whoot!

That is great! Just what I need to hear.

Btw, how was your trip? Sounds wonderful. I would love to go camping instead of being home working on a filing system, lol.

I printed them on cardstock and then "laminated" with reddi-roll (because I always have that around!). I wonder if Sue Patrick has dealt with this issue & has any solutions? Seems like it comes up a lot & maybe I just got lucky for some reason?!

Ah. Reddi-Roll. Love that stuff. I had mine laminated with thick stuff at Office Depot, but the edges weren't sealed as I had to cut them. They reassured me it would hold up, but it didn't.

Maybe I just need to make them with clear packing tape or contact paper--I'm pretty sure I'm out of Reddi-Roll.

Thanks Merry.

Okay So here's what I finally wound up doing

I have HST+ and printed off the lesson plans. I first made a master schedule that has the subjects down one side and the months across the top (it was in a link some where in this huge thread). On that I planned when each subject would start so I could concentrate on the ones that needed attention first. Each of those are being planned in detail.

I then put the plan, reading lists, materials needed, student sheets etc (everything on each list is done in order of use) in a subject folder and put in a pretty file box that hides in my linen closet. Now I take the first few sheets of each plan, reading list, materials needed and put into MY binder behind the correct tabs. Then it's open and go. Each kid has binder like the set up in TWTM and a basket for all the books and workbooks that are stored on a shelf. They also have a master schedule that tells them when to do each subject and how much to do in each. They follow that, come to me for mom time and teaching time. I'm marking off completed on the plan sheets and anythign we do on the other sheets. When a page is filled I will transfer that info to HST+ and mark it done.

For me, I don't have to tear apart workbooks because they are in the baskets, the nitty girtty stuff is copied and ready to go, library needs are on a page ready to be ordered, and so are the materials needed. And I don't have to worry about transferring from one file to another as that would bog me done.

I think it's going to work well for us but we will see as the year goes around. I've tried to think of all the things that mess me up and eliminate them now.:lol:

Okay So here's what I finally wound up doing

I have HST+ and printed off the lesson plans. I first made a master schedule that has the subjects down one side and the months across the top (it was in a link some where in this huge thread). On that I planned when each subject would start so I could concentrate on the ones that needed attention first. Each of those are being planned in detail.

I then put the plan, reading lists, materials needed, student sheets etc (everything on each list is done in order of use) in a subject folder and put in a pretty file box that hides in my linen closet. Now I take the first few sheets of each plan, reading list, materials needed and put into MY binder behind the correct tabs. Then it's open and go. Each kid has binder like the set up in TWTM and a basket for all the books and workbooks that are stored on a shelf. They also have a master schedule that tells them when to do each subject and how much to do in each. They follow that, come to me for mom time and teaching time. I'm marking off completed on the plan sheets and anythign we do on the other sheets. When a page is filled I will transfer that info to HST+ and mark it done.

For me, I don't have to tear apart workbooks because they are in the baskets, the nitty girtty stuff is copied and ready to go, library needs are on a page ready to be ordered, and so are the materials needed. And I don't have to worry about transferring from one file to another as that would bog me done.

I think it's going to work well for us but we will see as the year goes around. I've tried to think of all the things that mess me up and eliminate them now.:lol:

So you're not really doing the file crate system? It does sound like you're organized, but I just don't know if I want to do all that HST+ data entry. I've done it in the past, only to give up mid-year and kick myself for all the time I spent.

That is great! Just what I need to hear.

Btw, how was your trip? Sounds wonderful. I would love to go camping instead of being home working on a filing system, lol.

It was good. We werent camping. I wish. My DFIL had a heart attack and DH had been gone taking care of him for about a month! So we were going to see Grandpa and to pick up DH.:grouphug: Working on my filing system was a great distraction!

I need to go in the school room and check our stuff and make sure I have all my supplies. I also need file my book basket list and go through and make 3x5's with supplies needed filed so its not a done project for me..yet.

So you're not really doing the file crate system? It does sound like you're organized, but I just don't know if I want to do all that HST+ data entry. I've done it in the past, only to give up mid-year and kick myself for all the time I spent.

LOL! I reckon not..:D We do have crates in the sense that each kid has their basket and I have a basket of teacher manuals.We drag those out each day. And now I have the file box with the year plans in it. The weekly thing doesn't work for us because we may be in week 3 of history but week 5 of math so that's why I decided subject works better for us.

If I didn't have 3 more behind the first I wouldn't bother with Hst but.. now that most things have come around again instead of remaking plans, I'm just tweaking and adding in things I left out the first use. My input time is still a lot for each new thing but I get to use it later for the next kid.:001_smile: Eventually saving me time . By kid 4, my planning time should be an afternoon any given year!;)