Menu

Holy Cow! Bookshelves! No, not booKshelves, bookshelves!!! I want them.

WOW! How cool is that? I've got to show this to dh. It may be too late for us, but he loves to see new ideas, and maybe he'll be able to build some for someone else. (No, I don't love them enough to tear up either staircase. The rest of the house still has to be finished before we start remodeling!)

Thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not covet...

Scroll down to figure out the first image.

Just... wow.

of a show my husband and I watched about 5 years ago about "Famous Houses" or something like that, probably on TLC or Discovery Channel. Anyway, they were featuring that week the home of Michael Graves, the architect.

He had bought a factory made by Italian workers (somewhere here in the U.S.) and had completely renovated it over the years. My jaw dropped down when they showed his library! Yes, this was a geniune library inside his home, with the lighter-colored wood you posted in your photo, and rolling ladders, like the ones you see at huge libraries in New York and places like that! I couldn't believe someone could have a library like that in their home! If I can find a picture, I'll post it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! This is so cool!

Here's an article, but I can't find the photo of his library. On p. 2 of the article, though, it mentions at the top the "Oh my God!" library:

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/home/articles/2004/06/24/alterations_in_the_architects_plan/

I've got it bad! Shelflust. It's a new term for my vocabulary list. I have the same feeling when I walk past a Victoria's Secret, but for a totally different kind of shelves! ;)

Is it just me, or do the books on those shelves look just a tad like they might've been bought for the purpose of filling the shelves? See how nicely color coordinated they are? And all sized properly? And, so many in what looks to be a variety of series? Did these people just raid the nearest used book store or what?

But, the shelves. The shelves??!! OOoooohhh....mmmmmmmm....eererrrppp. :lol:

Doran

Well, this is inspiring! We are in the midst of turning our attic into livable space and we're scratching our heads about how to get more bookshelf space. I don't know about using the steps themselves but come daylight I'm going to go take a look at that stairwell and ponder the possibilities!