Menu

Aderall...new dose 12.5....do you take weekend or summer breaks?

Dd's dr said that some parents elect not to give their dc aderall over the summer...summer break w/summer break! ;) Same is true for weekend.

What do you do? Adderall worked great in the beginning, then it's almost as though she's reached an intolerance to it.

We're taking weekends off so when starting again on Monday she'll have a "rebound" effect. Even though there is no build up, there has to be some that sneaks in to camp out somewhere.

The psychiatrist also said we could wean her off of risperdal. This med takes 2-3 weeks to leave the system. We're taking her off and not giving it to her for 2-3 weeks to see how she does. Unfortunately this falls right smack dab in the middle of our July vacation to Ohio and Canada.

Curious if any of you have done something similar.

My son is 12, and on a 10mg dose. Well, at least that's the dose of the pill. We usually give him a quarter of it first thing, then another quarter a few hours later. Sometimes, if he needs it, we give him the other half in the afternoon, but often he's fine.

Weekends he'll go without it unless he has heavy chores or we're driving in the car for long periods. Same with summer - last summer he was off of it for 2 months. His non-stop talking would have been an issue, but he was off fishing & kayaking all day (every day), so I didn't have to be around it. A win-win... ;)

By the way, he is ADD with no "H".

My son is 12, and on a 10mg dose. Well, at least that's the dose of the pill. We usually give him a quarter of it first thing, then another quarter a few hours later. Sometimes, if he needs it, we give him the other half in the afternoon, but often he's fine.

Weekends he'll go without it unless he has heavy chores or we're driving in the car for long periods. Same with summer - last summer he was off of it for 2 months. His non-stop talking would have been an issue, but he was off fishing & kayaking all day (every day), so I didn't have to be around it. A win-win... ;)

By the way, he is ADD with no "H".

Elinor, Thanks for that. We're trying it and we'll see. I'm curious how it will pan out. How long has he been on the med? My dd since about this time last year.

And, my dd is add and also the one with the "h". :D I will say though as she's maturing and going through puberty...she seems to be calmer and etc.

Sheryl <><

Neither of my kids ever had weekend or summer breaks. Why would they? It wasn't like we wanted a break from a mostly well behaved, in control kid to get a wildly impulsive, non-reflective child.

Oh yes, I see. Well, I hope the doctors are right. They say it can have a rebound effect on some. Of course each person's body chemistry metabolizes meds in a different way...kwim? We'll see. It could just be she's just making improvements period...on her own.

See my reply to chris (previous reply entry) as this is a second reply to my original thread.

But.....can a patient "grow" or "improve" for the better warranting the add, adhd meds be removed all together?

Does anyone have knowledge of this?

Elinor, Thanks for that. We're trying it and we'll see. I'm curious how it will pan out. How long has he been on the med? My dd since about this time last year.

And, my dd is add and also the one with the "h". :D I will say though as she's maturing and going through puberty...she seems to be calmer and etc.

Sheryl <><

My son has been on the meds for almost 4 years now I think. Because he is not hyper, he is not wild & out of control all the time - he just runs his mouth constantly & exhausts everyone around him when he's "on". It seems like it goes in cycles (within a month, almost like a girl's hormonal cycle). Some days he can control his mouth & actions with no meds; other days no. We can literally tell what kind of day it's going to be when he walks out of his bedroom first thing. Truly, he doesn't even have to talk. It's all in his facial expressions. One look at his face & I'm either sighing & reaching for his pill bottle or perking up & hoping for a great day. Ah well, at least each day brings something new and there's always hope for the next...:tongue_smilie:

My son has been on the meds for almost 4 years now I think. Because he is not hyper, he is not wild & out of control all the time - he just runs his mouth constantly & exhausts everyone around him when he's "on". It seems like it goes in cycles (within a month, almost like a girl's hormonal cycle). Some days he can control his mouth & actions with no meds; other days no. We can literally tell what kind of day it's going to be when he walks out of his bedroom first thing. Truly, he doesn't even have to talk. It's all in his facial expressions. One look at his face & I'm either sighing & reaching for his pill bottle or perking up & hoping for a great day. Ah well, at least each day brings something new and there's always hope for the next...:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for sharing that! Ditto here. I can't believe it. I've never heard this description (above) from anyone other than me. ;) Honestly, it used to be all I had to do was "see" the expression on my dd's face...if she made eye contact she was engaged and it would be a good day. If no eye contact, she would NOT be engaged and it would be less than desirable. That was 1-2 years ago and PTL she's hormonally changing. Overall she's just doing much better.

It's b/c of that I'm wondering if add, adhd meds are long term or if people can be weaned from them b/c something internally kicks in, learning strategies, etc.