Menu

Has it always been okay to talk about dieting?

Let me start out by saying that I'm a social reject so I don't know, maybe this is normal.

We went to lunch today with 3 other families and the thinnest gal there brought up Biggest Loser (which I've never watched) and that started a huge discussion about dieting/weight.

So these two couples start sharing numbers, what they eat, how their hormones effect their weight lost, FIBER intake, Jillian this Jillian that. They are swapping detailed accounts of how much they weigh, their clothing sizes, and how much they want to lose before vacation, etc.

I guess I can understand a conversation similar to that between members of the same sex (girlfriends) but in mixed company? Is this a new phenomenon because of this television show? Would any of you feel that was an inappropriate conversation? I don't know, it just felt awkward. Hubby and I didn't participate, because really our fiber intake is no one's business, but then we felt like the 3rd wheel.

I think it is acceptable to discuss. There is a lot of attention on diet these days and that is probably a good thing. I think that if talking about it helps motivate and encourage people to eat healthier then more power to them. Now if they start talking about their 'bodily functions' that is when I'd get a tad uncomfortable. Fortunately, I've never experienced that level of diet discussion. :)

It's unfortunate that they were more focused on weight and size rather than eating and exercising for better health, but either way, I don't see a problem with it.

I'm curious why you think talking about fiber is taboo? Had they used different terms (leafy greens, raw fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, whole grains) would you have been as surprised? Do you feel that a person's intake of sweet potatoes and oatmeal are no one's business?

I'm very weary of the whole food/what we eat/intestinal fortitude/weight discussions. Your're right they are more prevelant these days, and I don't know why. To me it is one step above a "listen to my latest ailment/treatment" diatribe. My SIL is the worst when she is on a diet. Finally, one day I just told her, "either eat it or don't but please stop debating it."

As someone who can stand to lose more than a few pounds, I find these discussions disburbing. I can't come out ahead. What I know to be true, I'm obviously not putting into practice. What is false/a big fad/unhealthy - who would believe me? Talking about it in mixed company - no way!

That sounds like WAY TMI for me. DH and I did have a discussion about weight loss a few weeks ago when we went out to dinner with some good friends of ours, but it was a more general discussion: the relative benefits of cardio vs. weight training, eating 5 mini-meals vs. overall calorie counting, etc. We didn't get into any personal information such as weight or clothing sizes.

I think it's fine to make a general statement that upping fiber intake is helpful for curbing hunger and losing weight. But the specifics should be saved for one's weight-loss buddy.

I would feel uncomfortable because I'm overweight and I wouldn't want to share how much I weigh or my clothing size! A general discussion perhaps, but not more than that. I did have lunch with a girlfriend the other day who has lost 70 pounds. She did share her strategies and did ask me if I'm going to start dieting again (because we've supported each other in our endeavors in the past). It was not hard for me to tell her that due to my other health problems right now I have to put off trying to lose weight. But I would feel really embarrassed if I were in a group and the spotlight was on me to share those details!

I would feel uncomfortable because I'm overweight and I wouldn't want to share how much I weigh or my clothing size! A general discussion perhaps, but not more than that. I did have lunch with a girlfriend the other day who has lost 70 pounds. She did share her strategies and did ask me if I'm going to start dieting again (because we've supported each other in our endeavors in the past). It was not hard for me to tell her that due to my other health problems right now I have to put off trying to lose weight. But I would feel really embarrassed if I were in a group and the spotlight was on me to share those details!

The OP gives me the impression that those involved were volunteering the information. I wouldn't answer if those particular questions were asked of me, but I wouldn't be surprised or bothered if others in my company were having the discussion.

I have no problem talking about the local & organic movement or the move away from processed foods. Don't have a problem with talking about various ways we are all getting exercise. What made me feel uncomfortable was the numbers game.

It being no one's business how much fiber I'm getting was just a way of saying, the conversation felt too personal. I can't imagine sitting in a crowded loud restaurant yapping about my dress size or how much I weigh or how my shirts are fitting, but I guess my friends didn't have a problem sharing that information. The men seemed a bit awkward about it, too.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Heck, I get embarrassed listening to the "testimonials" on television referring to how Activia has helped their digestive systems. All I can think is, ok, are you really telling the world what I think you are. :-P

So, no, weight loss, hormones, digestive issues, would not be a subject that I would pursue in mixed company.

Heck, I get embarrassed listening to the "testimonials" on television referring to how Activia has helped their digestive systems. All I can think is, ok, are you really telling the world what I think you are. :-P

So, no, weight loss, hormones, digestive issues, would not be a subject that I would pursue in mixed company.

LOL. Glad I'm not the only one.

Not inappropriate but boring as all get out. I love it when the conversation turns to diets and all that they are giving up for this event or that. I just say well the time will come when you are ok with the way you are and until then I will enjoy life for the both of us. I wear a 16-18 and have low blood pressure with plenty of spunk in my step. Life is too short.

I'm very weary of the whole food/what we eat/intestinal fortitude/weight discussions. Your're right they are more prevelant these days, and I don't know why. To me it is one step above a "listen to my latest ailment/treatment" diatribe. My SIL is the worst when she is on a diet. Finally, one day I just told her, "either eat it or don't but please stop debating it."

I agree. I've had to ask my mother to stop criticizing and berating dishes at holiday meals.

FWIW...I've lost 50lbs this year through healthy lifestyle. But I still don't EVER bring up diet with people. I think it's plain tacky.

:iagree: I would not discuss the size of my clothing, weight, etc. in mixed company. I think fiber intake is taboo because it tends to relate closely to bathroom habits...

The fiber convo went like this...

"I read that Jillian [who must be next to God] said you should up your fiber intake. I took her literally and must have had like 15 grams of fiber at one meal. We ALL know why that turned out to be a bad idea, so now I'm only aiming for...blah, blah, blah."

And I was thinking, "Did I really want to know that?" LOL. Whatever.

The fiber convo went like this...

"I read that Jillian [who must be next to God] said you should up your fiber intake. I took her literally and must have had like 15 grams of fiber at one meal. We ALL know why that turned out to be a bad idea, so now I'm only aiming for...blah, blah, blah."

And I was thinking, "Did I really want to know that?" LOL. Whatever.

Ewwww, so it really is like an ailment discussion - only worse.:lol:

Lol, Daisy!

Do you think the obesity epidemic has people talking about these personal issues? I read a few months ago that the military actually considers it a national security threat. Maybe people think it is such a problem that it just can't be hidden anymore?

Lol, Daisy!

Do you think the obesity epidemic has people talking about these personal issues? I read a few months ago that the military actually considers it a national security threat. Maybe people think it is such a problem that it just can't be hidden anymore?

I agree that it impacts national security. No way could a large population go through 12 weeks of bootcamp and be combat ready. They couldn't even fit in the tanks!

Return to actual thread....

I have a group of friends who are like that. I find that it's almost impossible to get a group together for a meal and not have the topic arise. How far it goes depends on who you're with.

Personally, I think we are entirely too obsessed about food in America, and the weight loss discussion is just one part of that obsession.

I'm one of those who's finally embraced the concept of Health at Every Size, and for various reasons, it's going to be a long time til I'm the size that would be best for me, health-wise.

I am NOT going to obsess about food or dieting in the meantime.

I TREASURE the friends I have who don't feel they have to justify every morsel they put into their mouths, or tell everyone what they've eaten that day. I truly don't care!!! LOL

I don't see a problem with that conversation. I don't see fiber intake any differently than I see vitamin D intake. Fiber helps a lot more than irregularity.

I guess I think it's beneficial to talk about things that are relevant to people's lives.

My biggest problem with these conversations is when they take place in front of my dds. I am trying to raise two girls and I do not want them forever worrying about their caloric intake, weight and appearance. My mom and sister have these types of discussions all the time and I have to ask them to stop or wait until my dds are out of the room.

My biggest problem with these conversations is when they take place in front of my dds. I am trying to raise two girls and I do not want them forever worrying about their caloric intake, weight and appearance. My mom and sister have these types of discussions all the time and I have to ask them to stop or wait until my dds are out of the room.

If it helps, I knew my grandmothers were nuts...

Sweet and cute, but quite interested in calories. One was quite curvy, and one was a twig. I saw from the get -go that these things are mostly genetic

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't see a problem with that conversation. I don't see fiber intake any differently than I see vitamin D intake. Fiber helps a lot more than irregularity.

I guess I think it's beneficial to talk about things that are relevant to people's lives.

:iagree: Love to talk health and fitness! Though I wouldn't give out personal information unless I felt comfortable.

Thanks, ladies. It was fun seeing the wide range of opinions.

I probably take it a bit personally because our family happens to be the healthiest eaters out of the bunch, but my opinion doesn't count because I'm overweight.

I always love when they tell me if I just do these 6 things, I'll lose weight, only to discover our family has been eating that way for years. But how wonderful for them that they lost 6 pounds in a week by eating right.

Whatever. It gets old. It gets really old when I'm just trying to enjoy my #$%& salad while they discuss fiber intake over an ice cream sundae, kwim?

That sounds a little bitter. LOL. I don't really mean it that way. Just that in all their conversations they never stop to think that maybe most people don't want to live a reality tv life where their every weight number and dress size is broadcast at the local Roadhouse Grill.

It just seems like more of the games that women play. My child walked at 9 months. Well, my child talked at 6months. Well, I lost 6lbs this week by surviving just on fiber. Well, I'm down 2 dresses sizes but my boobs are BIGGER all because of Jillian. Blah, blah, blah. :lol:

Well, I'm down 2 dresses sizes but my boobs are BIGGER all because of Jillian. Blah, blah, blah. :lol:

Wait a minute! Jillian can do that? :w00t:

(I know you were joking, but you almost convinced me to go and take The 30 Day Shred out of the shrink wrap. Almost. :D)

Wait a minute! Jillian can do that? :w00t:

(I know you were joking, but you almost convinced me to go and take The 30 Day Shred out of the shrink wrap. Almost. :D)

Almost? LOL. Didn't you know? Jillian can do anything. I could probably just touch the picture of her on the DVD and it would make me lose 5lbs. :tongue_smilie:

Actually I have no clue who this girl is and I just realized she was connected to all those shred threads that were popping up around here. LOL. Who knew? Maybe I SHOULD have paid closer attention to that conversation at lunch.

Edited by Daisy

• 2 years later...

It would depend...I know as my parents have gotten older, I've become much more privy to information I would rather not know :scared:

However, I wouldn't be comfortable discussing my weight or my dress size over dinner, with a mixed group of people over dinner. General discussions about food, different dietary changes I was making...or even that I *liked* a certain exercise or exercise video would be okay. Specifics about my bowel habits, or what I weigh...no.

Things I plan to serve with Thanksgiving Dinner include these yummy BLT bites (stuffed cherry tomatoes) and home made kale chips (with garlic/parmesan). My in-laws are coming, so I'm going to introduce them to some different foods, I'm even going to serve them a green smoothie (my house, my rules :laugh: ). I figure that if my kids will eat it, they can too...lol. I'll have other foods available...I can't let picky guests starve.

I think talking about the exact pounds they want to lose and size they want to become, in mixed company, is inappropriate. And FWIW I'm on the younger end, on this forum (32). It's just that people have less tact and consideration these days. Those ladies didbt consider that their husbands might now be thinking about the shape of their bodies, or now wondering what size their own wives are, etc. etc.

In general it's a bad idea to spotlight anything about one's body in mixed company.

As far as fiber intake, they were more likely discussing that due to the fact that fiber fills you up and do is highly recommended. It probably had nothing to do with being "regular."

Also- how boring! Who wants to go out and discuss dieting. Snore.

I am nurse and use to talking about body stuff. I'm pretty open but doubt seriously that I would bring this up as a dinner conversation. I know people are very sensitive aout their weight. I also doubt people want to share their fiber intake. This would lead to the men rude jokes in some situations LOL. I also hate the activa commercials and personally all ED, rest leg, and every other media commerical pushed stuff about peoples health..

I will talk exercise, healthy eating but not dieting because the word should be gone - healthy proportion controls eating with a active moving lifestyle is the healthy way to maintain a healthy body weight and great healthy heart. I tell folks all the time if the heart is not workout and kept proper it just doesn't matter about your body weight, muscle definition, dress size, and especially how many times a day you BM LOL. I mean seriously when did people and the whole health store life style get so people open about their body function Jeez