Menu

I want to move to a farm with no neighborhood kids

:rant:

The two neighborhood kids have my daughter in an absolute tizzy about education. Homeschoolers, according to them, cannot get jobs, cannot go to college, and cannot eat at restaurants because it costs too much. DD now wants to go to school. (I don't know if she realizes that she has to BE there before her current wake-up time!). She doesn't hear their ignorance on things (not using that word to be mean!). Latin isn't a language, and various geographical and historical mistakes. Yes, he has his times table memorized to the 10s, but that's her choice. She's doing times up to 10 (and double digit with carry, etc) she has just chosen to be stubborn about memorizing them. And I told her that, hoping it would spur her to memorize them and 'beat' him, cuz she's VERY competetive.

I've told her all the benefits of homeschooling, but I guess not having a career and income sorta trumps some things. And for the record, we are NOT unschooling, not that there's anything wrong with that! But the general population has wierd ideas. We do textbooks and reading, and all the regular stuff.

Ignorance is bliss, only to those who don't have to deal with the blissful!

Too bad it's summertime--I'd tell you to take your dd to lunch, maybe somewhere across the st from the public school, just to flaunt the fact that not only can hs'ers go to restaurants, they can go when.ever. they. want. :lol:

But really, you might consider doing a unit study over the summer (if y'all don't hs yr round) about career choices, let her see what she's interested in, what kind of ed/exp would help her in that field, etc. When something is less mysterious, it's usually less frightening. If she knows more about getting a job than dn, dn's less likely to be able to scare her about it.

Do your children know other hs'd children? I think it's important they see with their own eyes thriving hsers That will give them the knoweldge base to understand that these children think that because they don't know any better. Your kids believe them because they don't know any better, kwim? It's a cycle you want to break.

My youngest (a little older than your oldest) knows many kids who go to school (her brother, for one), and says she never wants to go to school. (She's always been hs'd). She loves her freedom....and she also see that hsers do anything they want to do. They are artists, musicians, they go to college, they graduate from college, they travel. They have freedom to do anything they wish to do.

Once your kids see this/know this, they will understand that the kids are wrong/don't know any better.

Edited by LibraryLover

Tell her Selena Gomez and the Jonas Brothers are homeschooled, as well as Jaden Smith (Will Smith's son, starring in Karate Kid). That should help her street cred. :tongue_smilie:

And Miley Cirus (sp?). ;) She was on David Letterman, and I saw the clip. She talked about hsing.

Hmmm... My neighbor HS's and out of her 3 kids that have graduated from HS (the rest are too young yet), the eldest is working on her PhD, the next has been flying helicoptors for the US Army since he was 19 (entered Warrent Officer school at 18, almost unheard of), and the other started college at 16 and will have his engineering degree by 21... But maybe that's not the kind of education or employment your neighbor considers worthwhile... Hmmm....

I want to move to a farm in a neighborhood where everyone homeschools! ;)

I hate jerky neighbors. :grouphug:

I live on a street where 18 kids are or WERE homeschooled (about 5 of them have graduated and are in college/married). Only two kids (from the same family) go away to school.

It's nice, but......we never see the other homeschoolers because we are always involved in activities. I see my neighbors once a year or so at a homeschooling function. LOL

But, yes, it is nice to not hear all of that garbage.

I'm all about the immature response. :lol: I'd fill my kids with stories of how awful public schools are, how most students are functionally illiterate sheep with no original thoughts in their heads & more worried about clothes, sports and parties than about their brains.

The wiki entry has some data about the US too but these UK stats are more powerful IMO -

The UK government's Department for Education reported in 2006 that 47 percent of school children left school at age 16 without having achieved a basic level in functional mathematics, and 42 percent fail to achieve a basic level of functional English. Every year 100,000 pupils leave school functionally illiterate in the UK.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_illiteracy

Suppose you head over to the high school board and see if anyone's graduates have the time to write a personal letter to your dd outlined exactly how cool they are. 20 letters to show her friends should trump their little ignorances.

:)

Rosie

:rant:

The two neighborhood kids have my daughter in an absolute tizzy about education. Homeschoolers, according to them, cannot get jobs, cannot go to college, and cannot eat at restaurants because it costs too much. DD now wants to go to school. (I don't know if she realizes that she has to BE there before her current wake-up time!). She doesn't hear their ignorance on things (not using that word to be mean!). Latin isn't a language, and various geographical and historical mistakes. Yes, he has his times table memorized to the 10s, but that's her choice. She's doing times up to 10 (and double digit with carry, etc) she has just chosen to be stubborn about memorizing them. And I told her that, hoping it would spur her to memorize them and 'beat' him, cuz she's VERY competetive.

I've told her all the benefits of homeschooling, but I guess not having a career and income sorta trumps some things. And for the record, we are NOT unschooling, not that there's anything wrong with that! But the general population has wierd ideas. We do textbooks and reading, and all the regular stuff.

Ignorance is bliss, only to those who don't have to deal with the blissful!

Is it possible she feels a need to fit in with a group of kids, and public school looks like it's the solution?