Menu

ipod touch

I have an iphone and I love it. I know there are things that are different for the itouch. However, there have been loads of threads about the itouch:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173456&highlight=itouch

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169641&highlight=itouch

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140644&highlight=itouch

I think they are great. My two kids each have one. And my little sister has one. I didn't get one because I have the iPhone and they are nearly the same thing.

You can put most all the apps that the iPhone uses, keep grocery lists, connect to wifi and surf the net, put your songs on there, TV shows, movies, audio books, you can read books, take notes, store phone numbers and addresses, keep your calendar, play games, and many many more things. I use my iPhone for everything.

You can put most all the apps that the iPhone uses, keep grocery lists, connect to wifi and surf the net, put your songs on there, TV shows, movies, audio books, you can read books, take notes, store phone numbers and addresses, keep your calendar, play games, and many many more things. I use my iPhone for everything.

ok..how do you put your grocery lists on it and how do you watch TV on it...I have one, but I don't have it all figured out yet...this will help me...thanks.

You can't watch live TV (at least I don't think you can LOL) but you can download movies and TV shows from iTunes. Or there are ways that you can upload movies of your own, change the format, and then put them onto your iTouch. You have to download a program to do that though. I actually put a few home videos onto my girl's iTouches because they like watching home videos.

For grocery lists you can either use the "notes" app that comes on your iTouch. Or you can download a Grocery List app from iTunes. I use Grocery Gadget.

There's also a maps app that you can use as a GPS. And I use the clock on my iPhone as my alarm clock. And I even downloaded a clock that glows like bedside clock each night. I use the calculator on it often. I downloaded the weather channel app so that I always have the weather with me. I check that often with all of our violent afternoon thunderstorms in Florida. And I keep photos on there to show friends and family.

Can you tell I couldn't live without my iPhone? LOL

I have an iPod Touch, and love it. I didn't want to go with the iPhone because I'm cheap and didn't want to pay for a data plan when I rarely use my cell phone. The big difference is that you can only access the internet services on an iPod Touch when you have a WiFi connection-but those are available enough that I haven't felt a lack. Having said that, having had the iPod Touch for awhile, I may yet get the iPhone and pass the Touch down to DD.

I originally got it to be an e-reader, but I've found myself using it for much more than that. There are a TON of free apps, free video, and so on out there. I've also started using it for my carschooling and personal audio playlist, and leaving my iPod classic at the studio where I teach music.

Ah, that was one question, are some games etc free? How much does it cost to download a movie?

Thank you for the other thread links, i will go read them.

We are to travel (we being ds13 and me) a lot over the next 6 months for family reasons and i thought one of these would be good. Ds can use it as a games machine, and I can email dh, as well as use it as a diary etc!

I am rather a Luddite, and my cell phone is of the brick variety that, well, acts as a phone. ;) I only use it to keep in touch with a student dd with no land-line. We have no TV, or games machine, and only one family computer, so this is a big foray out into the technological world, but if all goes well, I shall go and actually look at one in a shop tomorrow!

Thank you for the input.

Ah, that was one question, are some games etc free? How much does it cost to download a movie?

Thank you for the other thread links, i will go read them.

We are to travel (we being ds13 and me) a lot over the next 6 months for family reasons and i thought one of these would be good. Ds can use it as a games machine, and I can email dh, as well as use it as a diary etc!

I am rather a Luddite, and my cell phone is of the brick variety that, well, acts as a phone. ;) I only use it to keep in touch with a student dd with no land-line. We have no TV, or games machine, and only one family computer, so this is a big foray out into the technological world, but if all goes well, I shall go and actually look at one in a shop tomorrow!

Thank you for the input.

I bought ds10 one a few months back and he LOVES it. Lots of games, lots of aps....And I didn't even know it could be used for several of those things mentioned on this thread...

Here are some of my favorite uses of my iphone:

Free or included with the phone:

Texting: I never texted on my old phone. I now text quite a bit, including sending lots of photos. It's good for communicating with people who aren't much for talking.

Photos: It has a decent little camera and I can upload pics directly to my facebook.

Grocery IQ: You use the camera to scan the upc codes of the stuff you buy, you enter the price and it saves the items for you. You make a list by choosing things from your saved items or entering new ones (you can enter them manually as well). You check them off as you go and it gives you a running total of your groceries as you go.

Weather: I just use the app that came with the phone, I can have several local cities saved (the weather on Oahu can vary widely) and cities where friends and family live.

My bank has an app: I can transfer funds, track my spending, transfer money to dd's pre-paid debit, scan a check with the camera and deposit it, it's amazing!

Today basic: It's a basic to do list.

Facebook: Most of our friends these days are on facebook, including those scattered all over the world.

Fandango: Look up movie times, watch previews, buy tickets, etc.

Notes: I use the notes feature all of the time and I don't lose them, like I did when they were on little bits of paper!

Urbanspoon: Look up restaurants and reviews. Some restaurants have menus and such.

Amazon: Sort of an amazon-lite for the phone, not as graphic intensive as opening a webpage.

Pandora Radio: Pick a song, artist or genre of music and it will choose songs for you, like customized radio station. I even use it in the car, but you couldn't do that with the touch.

Target: Check the weekly ad, see if your store carries a particular item, etc.

TV Guide: Just what it sounds like!

USPS: Check the hours/phone numbers for your local post office, check on services offered at various locations, check costs for packages, track packages, etc.

Surf Report: A must if you live close to the ocean. :D

Latin Word of the Day: just what it sounds like.

Flashcards: Download flashcard sets made by other people or make your own. (there are several apps for this, some are free and some charge)

Shazam: hear a song in a store or restaurant and you can't remember the name? Shazam will "listen" to it for you and give you the name!

Paid apps:

Couch 2 10k: play your own music, it gives you cues when to walk/run.

I've got to run for now, but those are some of my favorites.:)