Menu

ASL......

stephanie

My kids were interested in learning ASL this year, and I don't know if there is a recommended program that's been discussed here. I've looked up some on Amazon, but was hoping for some personal experience. I'd like to have dvd's so they can watch them on their own. Any ideas?

I was a sign language interpreter in another life and, in all honesty, you should probably learn from a real, live person. You can learn some basics from books, but 2D just doesn't cut it when you're learning movements. It would be like learning ballet from a book. Check to see if there are any classes going on through your community college or an adult outreach- they're usually fairly inexpensive.

I was a sign language interpreter in another life and, in all honesty, you should probably learn from a real, live person. You can learn some basics from books, but 2D just doesn't cut it when you're learning movements. It would be like learning ballet from a book. Check to see if there are any classes going on through your community college or an adult outreach- they're usually fairly inexpensive.

:iagree: Use any vids or dvds you can get from the library, or persuade your library to buy and check youtube. It's a way to pick up vocab and good for receptive skills but not worth the expense of buying them. You really don't learn grammar this way though, so you will need access to a real live person once you know some basic vocab. Another thing, don't speak and sign at the same time. It makes you feel like you're assisting language learning, but it really inhibits. If someone doesn't understand a sign, fingerspell it as many times as necessary.

Rosie