Menu

Are there any "open-and-go" Latin programs for moms that don't know Latin?

5sweeties

I've got 5 kids to school next fall...and I would love to work on Latin, but I really don't have a lot of time to prepare/study over the summer...we are building a new house. Anyway, I would love to learn Latin along with them, but I just can't commit any more time to lesson planning and studying than what I am now doing. My children will be 6, 7, 8, 10, and 13.

Thanks!

Lively Latin is definitely "open and go" and it would work with a wide age range -- the littles could just focus on the vocab/grammar and the tweeners could do the full range of activities -- art, history, derivatives and you'd probably be able to keep just about everyone going at the same rate.

T

I have to give Lively Latin my vote for open and go. We are using it for my 9yo and LC for my 11yo. LC is easy to use but I think it requires more work to add the grammar review and history. LL has all the review and history build right in and every lesson is set up a little differently so it is not the same every week. This works better for my 9yo although it is the routine of LC that works for my 11yo. With LL we just open up the binder and do the next thing for the duration of our Latin time. The only extra thing we do is to quickly review the flashcards.

Another vote for Lively Latin! I'm using it for my 13, 11 & 8 yos. If my oldest loved Latin and had a desire to learn Latin, then it would probably be too easy for her...but since she has negative-motivation to learn Latin, it is perfect. :)

The lessons are laid out nicely, and it really is open-and-go. I'm not using it for my 5 yo -- but if your 6 & 7 yos wanted to learn Latin & are reading and writing okay, then it would be good for them too. You (or older child) might need to do some of the writing (child dictates, including spelling)...I do this on some of the longer pages w/ my 8yo after his hand gets tired.

Lively Latin 2 is out and we'll be using it! :thumbup:

Prima Latina is open and go. but it would be too light for your 10 and 13 yo.

Just a thought here - Too light might be the way to start. I lived in Mexico and had to learn Spanish in a classroom grammar setting. What I thought was incrediblily hard at first was so easy in 3 months of time that I couldn't believe I struggled so at first. He would just do it extremely fast.

I thought Matin Latin was wonderful in this regard.

Although it doesn't seem as popular as other programs, I was very happy with Matin Latin. It has a reputation for being good for those of us who know no Latin. I will admit that towards the end of ML 2, I needed to keep a day ahead.

I have written a detailed review. Email me if you would like it.

Since I never took Latin, having the DVD to teach the lesson helped me teach correct pronunciation (my son and I watched it together), and the workbook is well written. It's a lot to learn if you've never studied it, so if we'd just used a book I would have been very stressed out. As it turned out, I learned it right along with my son.

Joyce

Lively Latin sure doesn't seem "open & go" to me.:confused: It's more like print up the weeks lesson pages, sit at the computer and listen to the downloaded vocab, and go online to get your schedule/activities from Magistra. Perhaps I am completely misguided on how the program works...but in my mind it is too computer reliant for my tastes.

I chose to go with Latin For Children. We have not started yet, but I have all the books and DVD's onhand. To me, THIS is an open and go Latin curriculum! It looks great!

Lively Latin sure doesn't seem "open & go" to me.:confused: It's more like print up the weeks lesson pages, sit at the computer and listen to the downloaded vocab, and go on-line to get your schedule/activities from Magistra.

I haven't started Lively Latin yet, I'm looking to begin BB2 next fall. We've used Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I so far which have been great but ds is finding them very boring.

As for LL, I personally don't see printing the lessons as particularly time consuming, nor do I see listening to vocabulary on-line any more burdensome than watching a DVD. And it's my understanding that study with the Magistra is an optional service included for those who desire additional help. It is not necessary to using the program. I just wanted to throw that out there. :)

I like Latina Christiana. My dc can do it independently of me but I go over the lessons myself to learn it with them. They watch the DVD one day. Then listen to the CD and practice the vocabulary. The third day they do the written work. 4th day review with the flashcards. 5th day quiz.

Except for the DVD it takes about 10-15 minutes to do.

Lively Latin sure doesn't seem "open & go" to me.:confused:
We print up one lesson at a time, I listen to the audio and makes notes on the flashcards, and we usually skip the games. Since only every other lesson has new vocabulary, that's 8 times I have to make notes. The major components of LL are the Big Book and the flashcards. There is no daily online check-in or schedule, and, if the child would benefit from the games, they need not be part of the lesson but rather done at everyone's convenience.

Lively Latin sure doesn't seem "open & go" to me.

We don't sit at the computer at all. It takes me 15 minutes on Sunday to print or download all Blaze and I need for a week's work of lessons.

I print the lessons & teacher's pages & download the MP3 bites to our HS'ing IPOD. I place his pages in his Latin binder, and mine in my TM. That's it.

I'm just throwing my vote in for Latin for Children. My 8 & 7 year old are enjoying it, and my 5, 4, & 2 year olds have learned many of the chants from the Chant CD (my 4 year old was entertaining himself while he was waiting for Judo to be over by chanting the First Declension Noun endings yesterday). I'm learning along with my boys.

Latina Christiana? We have had no "hiccups" over the last 2 years and my son is in 4th grade and I have absolutely NO experience in Latin. We do use the DVD's because I needed the handholding. We will be using LCII next year and the younger son in Prima Latina. There is a wonderful little website to use computer games for drilling the vocab and it is free!

http://www.quia.com/pages/krhest.html

We really do like the Memoria Press latin program. We spend 15-30 minutes daily on latin except for the day we watch the DVD as it takes a little longer than 30 minutes.

Blessings,

Penny

Mom to 5 and homeschooling for 17 years - wow, has it been that long?

We don't sit at the computer at all. It takes me 15 minutes on Sunday to print or download all Blaze and I need for a week's work of lessons.

I print the lessons & teacher's pages & download the MP3 bites to our HS'ing IPOD. I place his pages in his Latin binder, and mine in my TM. That's it.

Well, I must say that sounds easy enough. :001_huh: I guess it comes down to preference. I prefer my books bound, not in pdf. (been there down that with another program and HATED it) and I don't own an IPOD, though I did just win one from Clarks Shoes that I need to send away for. :D

Open and go for me is everything all done for me, and ready to roll, with no prep work on my part. I will already have enough prep on my plate with TOG, any other prep...no matter how simplistic it may seem, would bog me down for sure. I know my limitations! LOL

With Latin for Children, my son can basically do the program independently. I'm liking that. ;)