Menu

What age would you leave a teenager home alone for the weekend?

What age would you leave a child home alone for the weekend  

1. 1. What age would you leave a child home alone for the weekend

• 12 and under
    • 18+

With both my older, 16 was the age. My oldest went to college and travelled alone overseas on airplanes at that age. My middle is extremely responsible but she has never had cause to be left alone. I think that in three years, my youngest will probably be responsible enough too. (My kids aren't into parties and the older two had no one they would be inviting over).

depends on the maturity of the child.

my parents left me at 16. i could drive. we had dogs! :001_smile: i wasn't a big fan of staying alone so they usually allowed my bff to stay.

they left my cousin (they were her legal guardians) at an older age - i think she was about to turn 18 and heading to college soon - and she threw a party. . .

my 16 yo would be fine but due to extenuating circumstances i haven't left her overnight alone just yet.

there is much to consider in each individual situation.

i didn't vote because i would vote "it depends" IOW "other"!

I voted for 18, because normally I wouldn't leave a teen home alone for the weekend. However... I have left town without a 'babysitter' when dd was 16.

DD stayed home 'alone' at 16 while I traveled on business. I always arranged for her to have dinner and sleep at a friend's house... very rarely allowing a friend to sleep over here. I just didn't want her to get lonely. My kid is very resonsible. So she drove herself around to her various appointments during the day.

I've also left DD in the care of near strangers for business trips when she was in 6th-8th grade. That was much more uncomfortable for me.

My parents left me for a week at 17. My boyfriend stayed with me (without my parents permission). My mom found out and said "that wasn't cool" to my boyfriend. His dead-pan response "you told me to take care of her while you were gone, I couldn't do that from my house". My mom didn't say another word.

I say 18 but it would really depend on the situation and what was happening. I would consider younger ages, but knowing that it pretty much gives girl/boy friends free range on

I wouldn't do it until at least 16yo and even then only because we have a dog.

I was going to have the 17yo stay home alone over the weekend while I was out camping with the 12yo and 14yo and my dh was out of town, but our camping trip got rained out (campground was prone to flash floods, so we didn't go). I wouldn't have been comfortable with her being home alone for a whole weekend before that.

I'd be fine with my middle or youngest being home alone for the whole weekend after either has a driver's license. The oldest got hers just 2 months before her 17th birthday.

My dd 16 would rather not be home alone for hours and hours. She's very responsible and babysits for many hours at a time but doesn't like the house empty. I still leave her with a family friend if the rest of the family is going away and she has to stay home to go to her college class.

I know a 14yo boy- son of a single mum, very mature kid- who was left alone for a weekend. I have no problem with that. His mum knows him well.

For us, it would be around 16 , only because we havent needed to or wanted to before now (or even now). Dh and I went to Bali for 3 days in February and left then ds14 and dd15 at home, but we had some responsible young friends- in their early twenties- come and stay with them. They love these people, and they went to movies etc, so it was more like a party weekend for them, and they didn't feel "babysat". And we felt comfortable knowing they weren't alone.

In our case, dd16 is the more mature- yes I would leave her alone for a weekend. No, I wouldnt leave ds14 alone (he really might get up to deliberate mischief!) but presume I would by around age 16 too.

In an emergency, I would have no problem doing it earlier. I am only thinking if dh and I wanted a weekend away.

I can't vote as my answer would depend on several things:

1. The age of the child, but probably nobody under the age of 16. (I would have to consider this based on child, event etc).

2. The maturity of the child.

3. Whether the child felt comfortable being left.

4. Whether a nieghbor, friend, or family member would be able to get to them if they needed assistance.

5. Whether there were dogs on the property.

Edited by LibraryLover

It really depends on the particular teenager.

I was able to be left home alone from the age of 12. My brother was unable to be left home alone until well, he wasn't left alone. If I could not watch him or keep track of events he was planning then my parents worked hard to try and change their work schedules.

LOL, this made me laugh. I was a GOOD kid. My mom and stepdad got married and went away a lot of weekends together. I still threw parties for my friends. Those parties were small events at first but got bigger and more out of control. Once it got beyond my ability to fix damages I stopped. But by then they also stopped going out of town ;-) They even came back one weekend to investigate before leaving town again!

It's natural to want to have friends over when the parents are gone. I seriously was a very good kid. Never in trouble in any way.

I think you shouldn't leave them home alone, my personal opinion :-)

If the teen was responsible AND didn't have a boyfriend and you knew there would be no parties - 16/17?

I was left alone for a couple of days when I was 17 and that led to BAD stuff w/bf...I was EXTREMELY responsible (NEVER in trouble), no parties, no smoking, nothing.

But being left alone with a teenage boy that you love...I don't care how much you trust your teen, they will not be able to trust themselves if they are alone in a house w/their bf/gf...btdt

I couldn't vote on this one because as everyone pointed out, it depends on the child. Towards the end of my senior year in high school my parents and my younger sister went to Washington D.C. for ten days. That was the first time I had ever stayed by myself. To this day, I have no idea what my strict, worry-wort mother (as in the house getting damaged) was thinking. Perhaps she figured I would be busy. I drove myself to my private high school as we lived out in the country, took care of 4 horses, worked 2 days a week after school and had no idea how to run the washing machine or how to cook. No neighbor checked on me (to my knowledge). I also rode the horse down the road for lessons and up in the hills solo for fun.

So much depends on the kid's abilities, their friends, and your family's support system. None of my kids have yet stayed on their own. I would be more inclined to allow the two teens to stay together then I would one on their own.

Just to clarify, I am not considering leaving my child. I had a conversation with my dd and she was is a state of unbelief because I said that there was NO WAY I would leave her home for a weekend. I have no idea what made her think that it was even a possibility.

I have left DD various place for an evening by herself.

Leaving for the weekend, at home, is just asking to become the 'destination' house. It doesn't matter all that much whether DD is responsible or not, although that's a factor. The other factor is, who will hear about it and will they show up? And how fast and how far will the word get around?

I was once alone for two and half weeks when my parents were abroad, when I was 17. :) Before that, I had stayed numerous times alone for a day or few, about the age of 14-15 they stopped sending me to family members or friends overnight if they were gone. It never led to anything bad, and I was a very mature and trustworthy child, they knew they count on me that I would be home at reasonable time and I wouldn't be out on an all-night party just because nobody controlled me, or something along those lines.

That being said, I would probably leave my daughters for the weekend at the same age, 14-15, as I estimate them both to be highly mature and trustworthy kids. They're a lot better protected for cases of emergency than I was as a teen (cell phones; emergency credit cards in case something happens and they have to get out of the house or something like that; contact with the embassy in case they have to leave the country, etc.), and I trust them that they won't do anything silly, since I have a principle of "trust your kids until they give you a reason to change that", and so far they haven't. A mature high schooler, in my opinion, should perfectly be able to stay alone for the weekend. Not all kids are mature though, which is why, again, it depends on the child.

It would depend on the kid and who could check in from time to time. I stayed home for a weekend alone at 15 but our neighbor was a retired cop and I knew he was "watching" me. When I was older and left home I knew my aunt and uncle would do an occasional drive by to check on things. My dad always said that he trusted me but he didn't trust everyone else.:)

I agree with the other posters who said it depends on the teenager. I would have left my oldest home alone at 16, my second son I wouldn't have. It isn't that he wasn't a good kid. He just didn't think things through to their conclusion at that age. He had some pretty hair-brained schemes and some friends just like him.

I would leave my third son, who will be 17 next week, no problem. Not sure about the other three yet; we're not there yet.