Menu

Which math?

If you are looking to just give him a boost in math, you could look into the Simply Charlotte Mason math series, Your Business Math Series. It offers a choice of a pet store, sports store or book store that they "run". My daughter is doing the pet store. So far she has bought inventory (adding up totals), totaled her ledger (addition and subtraction), figured selling prices (multiplying by percentages to get retail) and she will write checks, pay bills, etc. The website is: http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/your-business-math/your-business-math-ebooks/. You can also have them ship you the book, but I like the "get it now" feature of the e-book.

Math U See also offers a book that is just fractions for 36 lessons. We haven't done this book yet, but I like the overlays that it uses to teach fractions. The website for that is: www.mathusee.com. We have used their other books and my kids don't mind doing the math and enjoy watching the dvd teaching.

Hope this helps some.

~Julie

I like the other person's recommendation. Becoming a virtual business owner does sound like it might be fun and interesting for your child's age level. :-)

If you wanted to boost your ds's math skills, work with him on the four operations this summer (addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication). You can do this with flashcards, timed drills, printable worksheets, math games, logic puzzles, and similar materials like that. My point is to keep your work light and fun during the summer so he will feel refreshed and well equipped to handle the next level of math when he returns to school in the fall. :-)

I'd look for the Kumon workbooks (available at Barnes and Noble) or the Key to Series for supplemental math at that grade level. I wouldn't recommend Saxon unless the kids will be switching to a school that uses Saxon. The format of Saxon makes it difficult to figure out where they teach different topics.

If those workbooks don't work, I like Rod and Staff as well.