Menu

DSLR camera aficionados, which lenses and filters are your favorites?

Right now I've only got the 18-55mm lens, and I'm going nuts because I keep trying to find the automatic zoom that was on my old camera. This one doesn't have a long enough focus so I know I want another lens, but I'm not sure I want a bunch of lenses that I have to keep changing or if I just want one with a large range. I'm sure it'll lose quality if I do that though. So I'm wondering what other people use.

I'm debating between a 70-300mm lens or a 55-200mm one. I don't think I'll go for the 18-200mm lens.

I'm also wondering about filters. The protection filter sounds like a good idea. What about other filters? How often do you use them?

Any other accessories that are must-have? External flashes?

TIA!

Edited by Apiphobic

I can't do without my UV filter, and my Polarizes filter :)

So do you leave your UV filter on all the time and switch out with the polarize filter on certain shots?

I am a professional photographer and I don't use any filters at all :)

What are you using your camera for? Knowing what your primary purpose is will help me make suggestions for you :)

I'm not going into business or anything, but I do like to take a lot of pictures. Family, friends, animals, scenery, vacations, etc. The usual family photo album stuff. I'd love to get better at taking fast motion shots. I rely too much on the flash for those and would rather adjust shutter speed to get those pictures.

Is that enough to clarify?

I don't use a filter either. Why buy an expensive lens and then put cheap glass in front of it? I do use a lens hood for protection though. As for a zoom I like something in the 28-75mm range. The 70-300 or 55-200 are ok for outside but would be really cramped for indoors.

I shoot Nikon and my favorite lens is a 50mm prime because I love bokeh. I also have a polarizing UV filter on my lenses as it protects them from damage.

There are differing qualities of filters. I mainly shoot outdoors and have a good quality multi coated glass UV filter.

I have a Nikon D700 and the lens that is always on it is the 24-70mm 2.8. I also love my 70-200mm VR 2.8. To complete the set, I have the 14-24mm 2.8 wide-angle.

I also have a 105mm VR macro, some prime lenses for portraits, and a lensbaby. I went all out a few years ago because I wanted to be a portrait photographer, but now I'm too busy homeschooling.

I have since decided that filters aren't necessary but usually put a high quality one on just to protect the expensive lenses.

Do you shoot Canon or Nikon?? (or something else I guess)

I don't think I'm near the photographic level to be able to say I "shoot" one or the other, but my camera is a Nikon so I'm trying to learn.

I keep a filter on my camera so I can't scratch my lens. Usually I have the UV layered over the polarizing. I would much rather scratch or dirty a filter than an expensive lens. I have a Canon EOS 50D.

Yes, I'm worried about scratching a lens, too. I wasn't aware you could use more than one at a time. Thanks.

Me either. I do love my 50 mm prime and my 55-200mm lenses.

My mind is boggled. I used a zoom so often on my old camera that I feel cheated with this one.

Do you have to move a lot and switch lenses if you aren't close enough?

I don't use a filter either. Why buy an expensive lens and then put cheap glass in front of it? I do use a lens hood for protection though. As for a zoom I like something in the 28-75mm range. The 70-300 or 55-200 are ok for outside but would be really cramped for indoors.

Does the glass cause reflection problems or something? Aren't there anti-glare filters or things like that?

Do you change your lenses often?

I shoot Nikon and my favorite lens is a 50mm prime because I love bokeh. I also have a polarizing UV filter on my lenses as it protects them from damage.

There are differing qualities of filters. I mainly shoot outdoors and have a good quality multi coated glass UV filter.

Again, I'm boggled. No zoom?

Thank you for the info on the filters. I'm leaning toward using them just because I know how easily accidents happen around me. :P

I ALWAYS keep a skylight filter on my lenses. And not a "cheap glass" one, either. A bleeding expensive one.

But a bleeding expensive skylight filter doesn't approach the price of a new lens.

a

Yes, that's why I'm trying to figure out where I should focus my priorities.

I have a Nikon D700 and the lens that is always on it is the 24-70mm 2.8. I also love my 70-200mm VR 2.8. To complete the set, I have the 14-24mm 2.8 wide-angle.

I also have a 105mm VR macro, some prime lenses for portraits, and a lensbaby. I went all out a few years ago because I wanted to be a portrait photographer, but now I'm too busy homeschooling.

I have since decided that filters aren't necessary but usually put a high quality one on just to protect the expensive lenses.

Wow, that's a lot of equipment. I think I'll have to go slower than you did.

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it!

I trained as a photographer but went off on a tangent for work. I pretty much only ever used a UV or skylight both for their actual use and for protection (they are not the same filter so maybe choose the most appropriate) and a polariser.

I have a skylight on permanently at the moment for protection, largely because my kids like to pinch my camera and it does give it some protection from the 2 yr old. You don't need a protection lens though if you are more careful than I am with your camera. It can be a cheap bit of rubbish glass in front of a good lens and it might be detrimental to the quality of your images.

I used to use a polariser a lot. Its handy to have and makes a big difference to a lot of shots.

I used to have a set of cokin filters but barely ever used them. I think I bought a second hand set.

I had quite a set of special effects filters when I shot film, but since going digital, the only filters I ever use are the UV and polarizing, mainly for protection of the lense. I do like my polarizing filter for outdoor shots. Anything else I used to do with filters can now be done in Photoshop for the most part.

As far as zoom lenses, don't just look at the focal length (70-300mm), consider the appeture as well. I would buy the lense with the lowest appeture you can afford, especially since you mentioned wanting to do action shots. I will warn you though, low appeture zooms run big $$$.

Does the glass cause reflection problems or something? Aren't there anti-glare filters or things like that?

Do you change your lenses often?

I choose not to use filters for a few reasons. I don't want any loss of quality to my photos, I don't want to lose sharpness. Also, in the case of a drop or bump, the filter can shatter easily and end up scratching your lens. A lens hood is better alternative in my opinion. It's cheaper, recesses the front element making it much harder to scratch or break, plus it reduces lens flare.

I do change my lenses often, I have 4 primes (35, 50, 85 and 105 macro) and 2 zooms (12-24 and 28-75) so I have a lot to choose from for any given situation.

I ALWAYS keep a skylight filter on my lenses. And not a "cheap glass" one, either. A bleeding expensive one.

But a bleeding expensive skylight filter doesn't approach the price of a new lens.

a

Thanks a lot, Asta. Because of you, I had to go bleed $250 for the high quality polarizing and UV filters. Until you wrote that, I was perfectly happy with my cheap ones. :-) I am such a groupie! Please tell me....do I need a skylight filter and what does it do?

I have the Nikon D40 and bought it with the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm lenses. I love the zoom lens for outdoor pictures. It doesn't do well in low light, though. I recently purchased a Tamron 28-75mm lens and I use that for indoor no flash pictures. I considered a prime lens instead, but I'm sort of attached to my zoom. :001_smile:

LOVE my 50mm!! I'm on my 2nd one, I got the cheapo $75 one and it lasted about a year (probably doesn't help that I dropped it). Then I upgraded to the f/1.4....love. :) I also have a UV filter on it, strictly for protection from scratches.

I also have the 55-200mm...quality isn't very good, but the 75-300mm would probably be about the same. It's fine with a lot of light and if I'm not expecting a lot of detail. I would love to get the 100mm macro. Or a low f-stop zoom...but like someone else said, those are $$$$$. :P

In general, prime (no zoom) lenses tend to be faster and better quality...but it is nice to have the zoom when motion is restricted.

I don't have filters either. Photoshop (or PS Elements) can do pretty much anything a filter can do and then some, without altering the original photo.