Menu

Speaking of UPS, does your driver ever honk?

We have three regular UPS drivers. Two of them are great, one drops packages on the front porch, the other inside the garage. We're usually home when they come.

The third driver will sometimes honk, like I'm supposed to go out and wait for him. :confused: It's not just my house, I've seen him do it others as well. Now if I'm outside great, but most of the time I'm doing something, or I'm totally unpresentable, and just let him come to the door. I find the behavior kind of rude, but I just ignore it. So, do you think the UPS honking is rude?

Our UPS man knocks the door or rings the bell and then just puts the package on the porch. I think he is just letting us know he dropped off a package. He is usually back in the truck by the time I get to the door and he waves then.

Maybe it's just his way of letting you know he's there. Does he wait at the truck until you come out, or just honk and then go about delivering the package to the door?

This is what our guy does...if the dogs aren't out. I think honking is his way of making sure there are no dogs in his path. However, our guy isn't detered by our dogs. He has a rural route and there are lots of dogs.

Maybe it's just his way of letting you know he's there. Does he wait at the truck until you come out, or just honk and then go about delivering the package to the door?

No, sometimes he'll honk multiple times. It's not just the one honk to let me know he's there. Heck, he doesn't know I recognize the sound as soon as he's in the neighborhood. :D He'll eventually bring the box up.

No, sometimes he'll honk multiple times. It's not just the one honk to let me know he's there. Heck, he doesn't know I recognize the sound as soon as he's in the neighborhood. :D He'll eventually bring the box up.

In that case, it is definitely rude. His job is to deliver the package to your door, not get you to do part of the work for him. I would ignore the honk and let him do his job. If I felt confrontational, which I rarely do, I might bring it up with him.

We have three regular UPS drivers. Two of them are great, one drops packages on the front porch, the other inside the garage. We're usually home when they come.

The third driver will sometimes honk, like I'm supposed to go out and wait for him. :confused: It's not just my house, I've seen him do it others as well. Now if I'm outside great, but most of the time I'm doing something, or I'm totally unpresentable, and just let him come to the door. I find the behavior kind of rude, but I just ignore it. So, do you think the UPS honking is rude?

Why would he need to honk?:confused: I'm usually climbing into the truck while drooling and trying to rip that curriculum package out of the poor guy's hands. He looks scared...very scared.

The corners of books are dented all the time. He also smokes in the truck.

I would find out who to complain to and do so every single time I received a damaged stinky delivery.

Our driver here doesn't honk. I have had drivers in the past that honk. I've never met him at the end of the drive because he honked. I have met him when I'm expecting a really great package and I can't wait one more moment to get it into my hands.

Unless you've got dogs that need to be seen to before opening the door, or have a really great package coming, I'd ignore the honking and go about my business until he knocks.

ETA: I've never thought it rude. Thinking back I think one UPS driver or another has been honking upon arrival for 20 years.

Edited by Parrothead

Our UPS driver is great-we consider him a friend! He chats with us all the time, and he always comes up to the door, rings it and then sets the package down if we don't come right away.

But, our mailman honks and waits for me to come out and get the packages!!! I do find this rude. Like I'm just sitting around, and can jump, the minute he honks. Sad to say, I usually do.:001_huh: I'm like Pavlov's dog or something.

But, our mailman honks and waits for me to come out and get the packages!!! I do find this rude. Like I'm just sitting around, and can jump, the minute he honks. Sad to say, I usually do.:001_huh: I'm like Pavlov's dog or something.

Ours will not deliver packages to our home. We're well withing the area they're supposed to drive off their route and our driver has no problem SAYING they tried to deliver :glare: They don't even bother to bring the boxes with them anymore and every.single.time. I am given the run around by the postal workers inside the office, because they never can believe my driver is such a useless.................................

Yeah, they can't bring themself to close the mailbox on rainy days either.

I can hear mine coming down the street. She blares the stereo so loud, you can't miss her. She does bring the package to the door and knocks, then jets off. One time, I ordered a 100lb cabinet from JCP and that girl hauled that thing to the door herself. I offered to help her but she refused it.

If you want to get a UPS man fired, just get into a fender-bender with him. If a UPS man gets into an accident, even if it's not his fault, he's fired.

The honk is to let you know there is a package. I like it. He still jumps out quickly and comes to the door. Some of them will ring the doorbell real quick and leave.

Our new driver doesn't do anything, so sometimes I go out late in the day, and a package is there that I knew nothing about.

Edited by nestof3

That's horrible! With the number of people on the road doing everything but driving, that makes me sad.

If you want to get a UPS man fired, just get into a fender-bender with him. If a UPS man gets into an accident, even if it's not his fault, he's fired.

Ours will not deliver packages to our home. We're well withing the area they're supposed to drive off their route and our driver has no problem SAYING they tried to deliver :glare: They don't even bother to bring the boxes with them anymore and every.single.time. I am given the run around by the postal workers inside the office, because they never can believe my driver is such a useless.................................

Yeah, they can't bring themself to close the mailbox on rainy days either.

I can't believe that!! I would be so upset, because we get so many packages by mail. I guess I should be grateful that mine actually brings it.

I would probably be quite annoyed it the UPS and FEDEX guys honked when they delivered a package. We live in a community of townhouses and apartments and someone gets a package nearly every day. However, I often see them drive up and ask DH "Are we expecting any packages today?", hoping that he is here to bring something to us! :D

Our UPS guy does not honk. He puts the package on the porch, rings the bell, and is gone. If I get to the door in time, I yell Thanks!, and that's all the interaction we have.

The mail carrier honks sometimes, but she will usually bring the package to the door. I'm usually watching for her if I'm expecting something, and I'll meet her on the sidewalk. It seems like she always comes during nap time...

That's horrible! With the number of people on the road doing everything but driving, that makes me sad.

Yeah, it's really unfair. I know two UPS drivers personally, and their biggest fear on the job is to get into an accident. Thankfully, neither have. One has been on the job for decades; the other, about 5 yearsish.

Mine honks, but that's because I have usually have a sign up asking people not to ring the bell. If someone rings the bell my pug starts barking like a freak. So he usually drops the package and then when he gets back to his truck he gives a quick "honk, honk,honk" which is like his way of telling me he stopped at the house. He did ask if it would be ok though, for some reason my dog doesn't bark when he hears the honking, just the doorbell.

Our UPS guy does not honk. He puts the package on the porch, rings the bell, and is gone. If I get to the door in time, I yell Thanks!, and that's all the interaction we have.

You have more interaction than we do then. I'd been suspecting that our packages are delivered by Owl.

In that case, it is definitely rude. His job is to deliver the package to your door, not get you to do part of the work for him. I would ignore the honk and let him do his job. If I felt confrontational, which I rarely do, I might bring it up with him.

I do ignore it. I think we're last in the delivery schedule (wasn't that way until I got Amazon prime :glare:.) I feel for the guy it's hot and humid, but his job is to bring it to my door. Now if its the holidays I make more of an effort to watch, I've seen them working after dark during that time. We have lot of people that work 2nd and 3rd shift in our neighborhood. I'd hate to be woken up by a honking UPS truck, well only if I wasn't getting a delivery. Thankfully it's not always this guy.

Why would he need to honk?:confused: I'm usually climbing into the truck while drooling and trying to rip that curriculum package out of the poor guy's hands. He looks scared...very scared.

:lol::lol: I try to be more subtle. Once it's in the door, ds and I both ripping into the boxes. But we have called off the remainder of school to look at the new shiny books before. :D

Our guys always honk before they cross the street onto our block, so they don't wake up our kids who are possibly napping. That way, my husband or I can let the dog out so she can greet them on the front porch without barking.

But then again, I think we have exceptional carriers. Our guys will spot us all over town and will honk or flag us down and tell us if they dropped something at our home while we were out. They also (along with the FedEx woman) automatically forwarded anything when we moved (7 blocks) that went to the old house.

Our UPS people don't honk. They just pull in, drop the package and run. I like it! OTOH, our USPS deliver sits in my driveway and honks until I come out. :glare::glare::glare: He also smokes and all my packages stink. :glare::glare::glare:

It's probably because he's on a tight schedule. It's still obnoxious, though. Ask him to please not honk because it wakes your baby. He doesn't have to know your baby is 12. :D

:lol::lol: So true. I could just as likely say, don't honk, you'll wake me up. Or I could run out there with my wild bed head, just woke up expression, and wild stare, phone in hand, "What's the emergency, should I call 911?" He'd never deliver here again.

Our driver always honks, but he knows we homeschool and it is to let us know he is there and going to ring the bell. IT IS NOT about going to get the package from him. I appreciate his kindness. It is his way of looking out for myself and DS as we are the only ones home during the day on our cul-de-sac/street.

No, they've never honked. What they do depends on the type of shipping, obviously. If a signature is required, they knock and wait. If no signature is required, they almost always ring the bell and leave the package by the door. Two of my Teaching Company packages came today by FedEx. He rang the bell and waited for me to take the packages from him. I think the shipping was if I hadn't come to the door, he would have left them on the porch.

I have a friend who drives a delivery truck for UPS. The drivers' days are very carefully planned out for them, and they are only allotted something like 45 seconds per delivery -- from the time they stop the truck until they pull away.

FWIW, our regular USPS gal pulls into our driveway and honks her horn when she has a package that's too big for the mailbox.

I can't believe that!! I would be so upset, because we get so many packages by mail. I guess I should be grateful that mine actually brings it.

Oh, I've reported and reported and reported. I had taken it all with a smile (granted my teeth were clenched, but still). Then, one year, our tax return was left, in the pouring rain, in our OPENED mailbox. By the time I got to it, it was a puddle of paper pulp.

Okay, we'd gotten direct deposit, but the post office didn't know that (and I do need those papers for our records). I drove to the post office and told the boss that her driver owed me $XXXX.XX. Our box was firmly closed for a few months, but ever since then I report every.single.incident.

It is actually UPS protocol for them to honk and see if you will come out to the truck. A good friend's dh is a UPS driver and they have STRICT package delivery quotas. For example, if they deliver 16.2 packages per hour one week, and 15.9 packages the next, they can be suspended from work or even receive termination notices, no matter if the slowdown was caused by traffic or something beyond their control.

So, the actual protocol is for them to honk and see if you will come out to their truck before going to the door because it keeps their productivity numbers up. I would NOT report it because UPS won't do anything about it. I actually feel really bad for these guys when talking to my friend! It is not an easy job!

My dad, a truck driver (retired military), looked into being a UPS driver, but he said there was no way he could keep up with them. It is a very stressful job.

It is actually UPS protocol for them to honk and see if you will come out to the truck. A good friend's dh is a UPS driver and they have STRICT package delivery quotas. For example, if they deliver 16.2 packages per hour one week, and 15.9 packages the next, they can be suspended from work or even receive termination notices, no matter if the slowdown was caused by traffic or something beyond their control.

So, the actual protocol is for them to honk and see if you will come out to their truck before going to the door because it keeps their productivity numbers up. I would NOT report it because UPS won't do anything about it. I actually feel really bad for these guys when talking to my friend! It is not an easy job!

• 10 years later...

As soon as the snow fell UPS drivers refused to walk packages to the porch or even drive in as they "might get stuck".  I clear my gravel driveway promptly after snow and was standing outside and heard a beep.  Busy neighborhood, long driveway (150') and no view of the street, didn't think anything about it until I heard a truck start.  Saw a UPS truck driving away, screamed to get him to stop and ran out to the street.  Young driver (19-20) said, "Oh you're here".  Asked why he didn't deliver the package and he pointed to the 1/2" of snow on the gravel and said can't walk in (I'm &0 and ran out to the street in house slippers)  amazed I asked him why he didn't drive in then and he said"I don't want to get stuck"   A flat, circular driveway that has no potholes and is wide enough for trucks to go around as the USPS truck did a few hours before or the Fed-X truck that delivered to the porch the next day.  Amazon delivery guy did the same thing, left package on top top of snow on the street!  This is the new non-delivery guy.  Complained to UPS and got boilerplate response, less at Amazon.  We must call these idiots out, this is NOT delivery. The companies must admit this is policy publicly or discipline these rouge drivers.