Menu

BEHR paint - Do any of you that paint with BEHR have trouble

with it peeling? We painted this weekend over BEHR semigloss enamel w/ the same thing, semigloss enamel. We primed the walls with Kilz before we painted. We taped the trim, painted the walls and when we tried to pull the tape off 24 hours, the paint peeled off. URRGHH!! We're going to leave it on a few more days, hoping more time for the paint to seal. Have any of you experienced this? We usually use Lowe's paint and I've never had trouble with it. I've tried using Lowe's to mix a BEHR paint color before and it was not the same color. So, I went back to BEHR and hope I won't regret it. I love the new color, just not what it's doing to the walls!

I agree with Abbey, I think that you are waiting too long to take off the tape. You may need to take off all the tape, replace the tape, paint, then take off the paint right away. Yikes, that sounds like a lot of work.

:iagree: and PS I hope it isn't the Behr, I bought a bunch this weekend!

:iagree: I think you are waiting to long on the tape. We had this trouble when we painted our old house for the first time. Truthfully, I never use tape anymore. I find it cumbersome and a pain to work with (for that exact reason - with the except if I am painting a baseboard...then I use tape on the carpet). I have a pretty steady hand and can do a mean line with a nice angled brush.

As for BEHR paint, I am a firm believer in this paint. It is worth the extra money to have good paint. We have just finished painting all the walls in our house and now (with the exception of the closets and the laundry room) have no remaining builder *crappy* paint.

:iagree: I think you are waiting to long on the tape. We had this trouble when we painted our old house for the first time. Truthfully, I never use tape anymore. I find it cumbersome and a pain to work with (for that exact reason - with the except if I am painting a baseboard...then I use tape on the carpet). I have a pretty steady hand and can do a mean line with a nice angled brush.

As for BEHR paint, I am a firm believer in this paint. It is worth the extra money to have good paint. We have just finished painting all the walls in our house and now (with the exception of the closets and the laundry room) have no remaining builder *crappy* paint.

bit of a hijack here, Stacy...when do you do all that painting with little dcs? (or are they older)

bit of a hijack here, Stacy...when do you do all that painting with little dcs? (or are they older)

Nope, they are not older. They are 8,6,5, and 4. Because they are close in age (the youngest 3 are 15 months apart between them all) they play well together. We "generally" try to do it at night but I often just want to get it done and will do it during the day. If it is the weekend, hubby will watch the kids while I edge and we switch and he does the rolling while I manage the kiddos. We do put on the occasional video for them to watch (as it will be a treat) but mostly, they just play so well together that they can go hours without really needing us at all. We get that "it is so quiet up there, should we go check on them??" feeling at times.

My youngest ds (6 yo) is a humongous lego freak. He will literally spend ALL day long upstairs building things. I only see him when he comes downstairs to show me his creations, leaves them on our bed and then runs upstairs and builds something else.

At least with this year we have a 17 yo foreign exchange student that loves the children, especially the girls. The girls love hanging around her and that helps when we do projects like painting. She will be gone in 2 months *sniff*

I will also say that we did not paint the living room, stairs and breakfast/kitchen ourselves. We hate paying people for things we can do ourselves but we just HAD to admit we could not paint these parts of our house. Our living room ceiling is double height (goes all the way up the the second floor if that makes sense) and there was no way dh was going on the ladder to paint that. We sucked up and paid a friend's hubby to paint it and a few other spots for us. We just added the kitchen with it since it wouldn't cost much extra.

All in all, to recap your question (I tend to go on tangents A LOT), our kids have always played well together and that makes it easier to do projects (or just clean the house).

:o

with it peeling? We painted this weekend over BEHR semigloss enamel w/ the same thing, semigloss enamel. We primed the walls with Kilz before we painted. We taped the trim, painted the walls and when we tried to pull the tape off 24 hours, the paint peeled off. URRGHH!! We're going to leave it on a few more days, hoping more time for the paint to seal. Have any of you experienced this? We usually use Lowe's paint and I've never had trouble with it. I've tried using Lowe's to mix a BEHR paint color before and it was not the same color. So, I went back to BEHR and hope I won't regret it. I love the new color, just not what it's doing to the walls!

My husband rehabs houses and he said he doesn't like this paint because he has never had good luck with it. He said it didn't adhere well to the walls and he always had to paint multiple coats. He just told me you might be having a problem because you painted over semi gloss.

Anyway, hope it works for ya! Thats a bummer to do all that work and have a problem! :glare:

we didn't put Kilz down first, and we were painting over crappy, crappy, cheap, crappy, builder-grade flat paint. The walls soaked up a TON of paint, and I'm not sure we let it dry properly between coats - that can cause some peeling. I haven't used the semi-gloss, ours was satin, but we haven't had a problem anywhere else in the house and we've used Behr for all of it.

paint is not dry and that's why it's peeling. Urrgh! I won't be using BEHR anymore, that's for sure. I hope ya'll have better success than we have had.

I guess we'll be using a razor blade to cut the paint tape away from the edges. Time consuming, uurrghh! :glare: I'm just glad I like the color. It's Mother Nature, btw. Beautiful shade of green in my dining area and kitchen.

We put the Kilz on top, because if we didn't, you could scrape the second paint off. I called the Home Depot store and that's what they recommended. They talked like they knew what they were talking about and I sure didn't know what to do, so I trusted what they told me. Oh well, another lesson learned the hard way. :-/

Have a good day, ya'll!

We dislike BEHR for the very same reasons. It peels up, and it takes WAY to many coats to cover!!! I should not have to use two gallons of semi gloss light yellow paint to cover flat white paint in a very small bathroom. We have tried it many times over the years and have regretted it each and every time. Bleck.

paint is not dry and that's why it's peeling. Urrgh! I won't be using BEHR anymore, that's for sure. I hope ya'll have better success than we have had.

I guess we'll be using a razor blade to cut the paint tape away from the edges. Time consuming, uurrghh! :glare: I'm just glad I like the color. It's Mother Nature, btw. Beautiful shade of green in my dining area and kitchen.

We put the Kilz on top, because if we didn't, you could scrape the second paint off. I called the Home Depot store and that's what they recommended. They talked like they knew what they were talking about and I sure didn't know what to do, so I trusted what they told me. Oh well, another lesson learned the hard way. :-/

Have a good day, ya'll!

First, generally speaking (and please, I mean no offense to anyone) the "salespeople" at Home Depot are a JOKE. I hope there are exceptions, but she is just flat out wrong. The tape comes off when the paint is WET or you'll never get it down. Also, I'm afraid that putting Kilz over peeling paint might not seal the peeling paint (although it depends on which formulation you used, there are several). Ideally, you need to scrape off the peeling paint. There is a product -- an oil-based product -- that you can paint over peeling paint that works. Basically, it dissolves the peeling paint, and then it re-hardens. It is AMAZING. If only I could remember the name of it.:banghead:

Second, to find this amazing product of which I speak, or to get actual painting advice that is worthwhile -- get thee to a Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore dealer. I actually do like Behr paint a lot (there is a reason Consumer Reports consistently gives it excellent ratings) so I use it for all of my trim (semi-gloss white) as I can just walk in and pick it up off the shelf (ready-mixed -- 'cause I don't trust Home Depot to mix my paint!) But I buy the amazing unnamed primer product at the Benjamin Moore dealer, as well as any colors that I want to have mixed. I am willing to pay a couple bucks more a gallon in return for excellent advice and customer service.

One other thing -- ANY semi-gloss paint takes AT LEAST 24 hours to "cure". IF the Kilz you used was designed to seal oil-based paint as a primer for latex, it might actually work. Just be very, very careful for a few days. I have found that semi-gloss paint can seem like it's going to peel, but after a couple days it hardens up really nicely and has a good, tough, finish. So, if you can get the tape down :tongue_smilie: it may turn out okay yet!

Painting can be SO frustrating, but I assure you, everyone who is good at it learned a lot of lessons the hard way.