Menu

ADHD/school problems...

Hi all-

I am asking for advice and confirmation of whether or not I did the right thing with a friend's ds, who has ADHD and is struggling in school. My friend has a son who has just finished 3rd grade in ps and he has done very poorly grade-wise (as in, not knowing if he should pass to 4th). He struggles with math and reading. She is in tears and so desperately wants to do the "right thing" with her ds (good, stable family). At first, she medicated him, but has since taken him off meds and is trying diet change. She said that she feels the teachers want him back on meds, but in her heart she does not want to do that. I am not well-versed on ADHD and have not personally dealt with a dc with it.

She asked me if perhaps her ds could have dyslexia and has already set him up to do dyslexia testing later this summer. Since it will cost her around $800-1000, she just wanted to know if I thought it the test was a good idea or necessary. So, I agreed to do some very informal assessments.

I did a few things with her ds to see if perhaps he had just memorized words without being taught the alphabetic code and perhaps the reading was getting too hard for him now. I tested his code knowledge with a "word attack skills test" that I got from a graduate course I took in direct instruction reading. He did well, as he scored at "early 4th grade," which is just where he is age-wise.

Also, I tested him on oral blending skills and he did fine. I then tested him on oral segmentation, and he bombed that. Perhaps he did not really know what I was wanting, but I did give him plenty of examples. I gave him part I of the Miller Word Identification Assessment and he read the holistic and phonetic lists with an identical speed. So, I informally "ruled out" a general lack of phonics knowledge of letter combinations.

For spelling, I asked him to spell some 4 letter words with consonant blends, such as "brand" and he got them right. I asked him to spell "hoist" and he got it right. His handwriting was poor.

I gave him some grade-level passages to read and he did fine. His fluency could be better, but it wasn't worrying to me. However, I think he could benefit from fluency teaching and multiple syllable words for next year.

So, I told mom that I don't see that he has just flown by without learning phonics, but the one test of his inability to segment may be of interest to the dyslexia tester. I also told her that if he were *mine*, I'd ask for a comprehensive test battery through the school. She flinched and seemed hurt, as though I thought her son needed special ed. Actually, I said this because her son seems to me to be very intelligent with a great vocabulary and perhaps is gifted, but his grades don't match that. So there is a problem there. I did not do reading comprehension with him, so maybe there is a problem there. Perhaps he is on mild end of the ASD spectrum I wondered, and although he can read he has trouble with the school work? I know a hyperlexic autistic boy, so I know how this can be true.

He thinks he is stupid and has been bed-wetting at night. The boys in his class are super-competitive and race to get assignments done first. To this date, the word has been "he is able to do the work but just won't." I think, and mom and dad agree now, that hey *have* to get to the bottom of this now.

The dyslexia tester they will see is somehow affiliated with Susan Barton. I think he needs a more comprehensive eval. than what she can probably give although I don't know just what she'll give him. I suspect he is very gifted in areas (they say he's awesome with legos).

In you opinion based on this limited knowledge, did I give the right advice? I did not discourage the dyslexia eval they have scheduled, as I did not want that to be "my call." But I just don't want him given modifications only, but think a more comprehensive eval. is in order. What does this sound like to you?

Edited by Shay
spelling

Hi all-

I am asking for advice and confirmation of whether or not I did the right thing with a friend's ds, who has ADHD and is struggling in school. My friend has a son who has just finished 3rd grade in ps and he has done very poorly grade-wise (as in, not knowing if he should pass to 4th). He struggles with math and reading. She is in tears and so desperately wants to do the "right thing" with her ds (good, stable family). At first, she medicated him, but has since taken him off meds and is trying diet change. She said that she feels the teachers want him back on meds, but in her heart she does not want to do that. I am not well-versed on ADHD and have not personally dealt with a dc with it.

She asked me if perhaps her ds could have dyslexia and has already set him up to do dyslexia testing later this summer. Since it will cost her around $800-1000, she just wanted to know if I thought it the test was a good idea or necessary. So, I agreed to do some very informal assessments.

I did a few things with her ds to see if perhaps he had just memorized words without being taught the alphabetic code and perhaps the reading was getting too hard for him now. I tested his code knowledge with a "word attack skills test" that I got from a graduate course I took in direct instruction reading. He did well, as he scored at "early 4th grade," which is just where he is age-wise.

Also, I tested him on oral blending skills and he did fine. I then tested him on oral segmentation, and he bombed that. Perhaps he did not really know what I was wanting, but I did give him plenty of examples. I gave him part I of the Miller Word Identification Assessment and he read the holistic and phonetic lists with an identical speed. So, I informally "ruled out" a general lack of phonics knowledge of letter combinations.

For spelling, I asked him to spell some 4 letter words with consonant blends, such as "brand" and he got them right. I asked him to spell "hoist" and he got it right. His handwriting was poor.

I gave him some grade-level passages to read and he did fine. His fluency could be better, but it wasn't worrying to me. However, I think he could benefit from fluency teaching and multiple syllable words for next year.

So, I told mom that I don't see that he has just flown by without learning phonics, but the one test of his inability to segment may be of interest to the dyslexia tester. I also told her that if he were *mine*, I'd ask for a comprehensive test battery through the school. She flinched and seemed hurt, as though I thought her son needed special ed. Actually, I said this because her son seems to me to be very intelligent with a great vocabulary and perhaps is gifted, but his grades don't match that. So there is a problem there. I did not do reading comprehension with him, so maybe there is a problem there. Perhaps he is on mild end of the ASD spectrum I wondered, and although he can read he has trouble with the school work? I know a hyperlexic autistic boy, so I know how this can be true.

He thinks he is stupid and has been bed-wetting at night. The boys in his class are super-competitive and race to get assignments done first. To this date, the word has been "he is able to do the work but just won't." I think, and mom and dad agree now, that hey *have* to get to the bottom of this now.

The dyslexia tester they will see is somehow affiliated with Susan Barton. I think he needs a more comprehensive eval. than what she can probably give although I don't know just what she'll give him. I suspect he is very gifted in areas (they say he's awesome with legos).

In you opinion based on this limited knowledge, did I give the right advice? I did not discourage the dyslexia eval they have scheduled, as I did not want that to be "my call." But I just don't want him given modifications only, but think a more comprehensive eval. is in order. What does this sound like to you?

I think a comprehensive eval sounds like a good thing. More information is always better IMO. If you have the information you can always decide not to do anything about it, but then it's an informed decision, not just a knee-jerk reaction. If you don't know what's going on, you can't really make informed decisions, you just sort of thrash around in the dark hoping to hit on something that helps.

Hi all-

Yes, I think you gave the right advice - I think the friend should follow your advice.

IME, (and I had a very very similar situation with a 'former' friend's ds a few years ago - except that I had been his classroom teacher for two separate grades) the comprehensive test battery and special ed are two things that when some parents hear, well, they shut down and have no intention of following the advice. The parent to whom I said it no longer speaks to me; her son (who is unbelievably bright, articulate, inquisitive, but his grades ~usually failing ~ do not show any of those qualities) is repeating third grade but since we have no contact any longer, I do not know (and if we did have contact she would not be truthful with me regarding his progress or lack thereof) how he is doing. I do know that two other times in the past it was suggested that the little boy be held back and repeat the grade (K and 1st) but the mom refused to do it.

I hope your friend listens to you - fwiw, this friend 'found' a Barton evaluator, the little boy's difficulties were classified as 'reading issues,' and he has been doing Barton for three years - it is during these three years that the school he attends insisted that he repeat 3rd grade.

The similarities between your experience and mine are uncanny. Truly, I hope your friend gets him what he needs.

Thank you so much MamaSheep and Mariann. I really needed confirmation that I did the right thing and offered sound advice. I also needed to know if I was "off the mark." As Mariann's story illustrates, these things are touchy and can harm friendships. I think they are thinking dyslexia because so many people have a 504 plan for dyslexia and this is talked about a lot. I personally, just from what I saw/observed, don't think it is that. I was ready to tutor him in reading if he had just missed important skills and letter-sound knowledge, or if he indeed has dyslexia, but I did not find that to be the case. Something else is going on.

Part of me wants to suggest to mom to consider the medication for her son, but since she feels so strongly about not doing it, that could get touchy. Although, he had NO attention problems for me when I spent an hour with him, but that was a one-on-one situation.

The schools in general truly do not know what to do with children like this and there is a pressing need, IMO, for that to change. I explained that, by law, the school has to pay for testing for a child if the parent requests. She doubted it would/could really be that easy.

Thanks again for your replies.

Getting as much diagnostic information as you possibly can is always a good idea (especially to the extent that they can get the school system to agree to it) and I agree with you that a dyslexia workup alone doesn't sound like it's the full issue.

Having been there, I know how upsetting it can be to think about the school system testing and potentially labeling your kid, especially when you are confronted with the idea for the first time. And I felt like slugging the first person who suggested that I put my child on medication for ADHD. A concept that helped me back then was that LD is a much better label to have than "stupid". The more specific that LD label is the better.

I would not assume no ADHD from a good hour with one-on-one attention.

When did she take him off the meds? When did the bed wetting start or has that been a long time issue? Does the teacher say he is impulsive with his school work?

From what you say, a lot would fit with an ADHD child that might benefit from medication. Sounds like he CAN do the work but in a distractable school setting or when he is in a hurry (impulsive) then he rushes and doesn't work up to the level he can work at.

I know that for my daughter with ADHD, without her medication, school work is torture--for both of us. On the medication, she can sit down and focus on her work and complete it CORRECTLY.

Was her son doing better when he was on the medication?

Thank you so much MamaSheep and Mariann. I really needed confirmation that I did the right thing and offered sound advice. I also needed to know if I was "off the mark." As Mariann's story illustrates, these things are touchy and can harm friendships. I think they are thinking dyslexia because so many people have a 504 plan for dyslexia and this is talked about a lot. I personally, just from what I saw/observed, don't think it is that. I was ready to tutor him in reading if he had just missed important skills and letter-sound knowledge, or if he indeed has dyslexia, but I did not find that to be the case. Something else is going on.

Part of me wants to suggest to mom to consider the medication for her son, but since she feels so strongly about not doing it, that could get touchy. Although, he had NO attention problems for me when I spent an hour with him, but that was a one-on-one situation.

The schools in general truly do not know what to do with children like this and there is a pressing need, IMO, for that to change. I explained that, by law, the school has to pay for testing for a child if the parent requests. She doubted it would/could really be that easy.

Thanks again for your replies.

Remembered this: what I highlighted in blue: the parents I spoke of (and the husband was willing to try anything - the mom was not) I accompanied the parents on interviews etc with the public school so that they could have their little boy evaluated for dyslexia. I took hours out of my own time to do this - and the outcome was that the public school tested him and did not find reading issues or dyslexia. They did, however, suggest the comprehensive battery - I could look at the mom's face and she had already blocked them out when they said not dyslexia and she didn't agree. When the husband brought it up, she ripped him.

It IS that easy to get the testing - truly - the friend brought me along to the dyslexia interviews because she thought that by having his classroom teacher there, it would strengthen her case - I did tell her that my being there would not make any difference and possibly start things off on a negative footing, but she would not listen.

Anyway - that stuff doesn't matter - the testing is not difficult to get - so your friend, should she decide to get the comp battery, should know it is not a difficult process.

As for the meds, in the case of the family that I am writing about, well, let me just say that if meds are indicated, they can make a world of difference.

As an aside, and appropros of nothing, the mom I was writing about would state often and loudly that she would stop at nothing to get her son what he needed -- but time and time again, I saw that it was only if WHAT he needed fit in with what she wanted the solution to be. (did that make sense?) Let me put it this way: when the school told her that her little boy HAD to repeat third grade, her only (and at this point she was still speaking to me and she told me this) her only proviso that she would allow him to repeat was that: 'No one was EVER to make fun of him b/c he had been held back.' And, she requested, and was given a list of third grade boys so that she could cultivate friendships over the summer - which was odd b/c this school had shared classrooms - (3 grades to a room) - and her son had already been with those little boys, and not alot of emphasis was placed on 'grade.' It is a VERY small school.

I found myself caught between a rock and a hard spot -

Hi all-

I don't agree with starting with a very expensive eval that is only for dyslexia. It could be something else. Better to start with a broader evaluation and then go deeper if necessary. Perhaps if you explain more about what a comprehensive eval will give and the possibility of therapies (for instance, if he is ADHD, he likely has a poor working memory. Get a free eval at the school, Add $500 to the price she was quoted for a partial eval and he could get advanced treatment with Cogmed if the working memory is the issue. (You might research that for her. It's not medication and it has a lot of high level research backing.) Knowing that there is a therapy that might help that is not meds, and that a broader eval could reveal, might be enough to encourage her. Also, getting the free eval done by the school could save her $$ if she still wants to do the dyslexia eval later.

Interesting that you said, "if he has ADHD, he likely has a poor working memory." (I will someday learn how to insert quotes :tongue_smilie:). She did mention that his 1st grade teacher, confused by him, said, "it is as if he has a memory problem."

Essentially, people who do not understand the valuable information that can be had from a comprehensive eval. are going to flinch when it is suggested. Prior to knowing what I know now, I would have done the same. In addition, parents view this eval. as "entrance to sped." Actually, it should be viewed as part of the roadmap to determing how to treat the weaknesses rather than groping about and wasting time.

Perhaps the biggest barrier is the fight to get it done through the ps. I have close friends who are teachers and they say it takes them 1, sometimes 2 years to get the testing. The children go through RtI (response to intervention) for a long time first. The way I see it, some of the tests should be done alongside RtI in order to have the correct interventions to "respond to" in the first place! I don't know how it is where others are, but here there is a HUGE disconnect.

I think you are spot-on to encourage her that the testing could reveal things that are non-meds to help her son. I will look into Cogmed. She has paid for Sylvan tutoring in the past, but said she just cannot do it financially (plus the drive time, wait time, etc.) this year.

The problem here is that she already has gotten a distrust of the school and its ability to handle these things. She is well-liked in the school/community and does not *want* to have to demand things. I totally understand this, but I think the time has come for her to be able to do this in a way to not alienate anyone. All she has heard, basically, is that her son could do the work if he just would. I just don't believe that is true, as I see a very smart kid trying to cope with *something* in a way that is getting him into trouble. But thank you, LaurieB. I consider your input highly valuable (as usual). This board needs you!

My last sentences should go under your last question,

but it would not land there when I tried to edit.

When did she take him off the meds? When did the bed wetting start or has that been a long time issue? Does the teacher say he is impulsive with his school work? I don't know the answer to these, Ottakee. They just say he is able, but won't do the work.

From what you say, a lot would fit with an ADHD child that might benefit from medication. Sounds like he CAN do the work but in a distractable school setting or when he is in a hurry (impulsive) then he rushes and doesn't work up to the level he can work at. That is what I'm thinking, too. BUT, she did have him on meds. If she had seen a "good enough" change, I would think she would have left him on them.

I know that for my daughter with ADHD, without her medication, school work is torture--for both of us. On the medication, she can sit down and focus on her work and complete it CORRECTLY. And, it may come down to her realizing they have to do this. I'm sure that is a very hard decision to make. I just have no experience with ADHD/meds and didn't want to push that, KWIM? Especially since this has been the only advice she has gotten from school.

Was her son doing better when he was on the medication?

Embarrassed to say that I don't remember exactly what she said about this (since we talked so long and about so much). I'll ask her if it comes up, but she is super sensitive to this (people saying it will cure all their problems).

Edited by Shay
format

• 2 weeks later...

You absolutely gave the right advice. I have four boys and three of them have ADHD. We had the comprehensive evaluation completed on all of them by an educational psychologist and it was very helpful. I don't remember the exact cost, but I know it was not anymore than you have mentioned for the dyslexia testing. My boys had some other issues, as many ADHD kids do, but the testing helped me to understand and work on these things. We did a year with a reading specialists to increase fluency and spelling. We have done some OT and then I went to a Handwriting Without Teats seminar to learn to work with them myself. The testing gave me the confidence and the direction I needed to understand and move forward with helping them.

We do medicate. After I brought them home from private school 8 years ago, I decided I would not medicate. We went for 1 1/2 years like this and then I heard a ADHD specialist from Stanford speak at a local university and she mentioned that some kids really need the medicine to learn and move ahead. She also mentioned that you are doing your children a disservice because they will not be able to learn at their optimum. I listened and a light bulb went off! I went to the doctor and tried the medicine again and it made such a difference in our school days and the amount that they accomplished that I went back on it. We don't do it during summer months except with one of my sons. He has the hyper part and he really needs it to focus on anything. We still try to give him breaks from it.

Anyway, I think your advice was right on.

You gave very good advice. My dd is severely dyslexic, and I cannot imagine her, even after a couple of years of intervention, passing the tests you gave him with such outstanding results. I was pretty positive she was dyslexic (which was confirmed by testing) but chose to do a complete private educational/neuro psychologist evaluation to be sure we got to the bottom of any and all issues.

It is silly and really irresponsible parenting to focus on only one diagnosis. What if he isn't dyslexic, then what? Will they have the funds to seek out further testing? Will the poor kid be willing/open to further testing after this?

The thoroughness of school testing is often questionable, especially since they are focusing on issues which qualify kids for services, not truly getting to the bottom of their difficulties and the causes.

If she and her dh are willing to spend $1K on testing, I would strongly advise her to put that into private neuropsychological testing, which will find dyslexia if it's there, but also dig up any other underlying issues she might not have thought of. A much better use of her testing budget, and much more beneficial to her child, IMO.

ADHD children are often quite gifted; schoolwork is just not the best avenue for them to show it. The knowledge is there, but they find schoolwork to be tedious, and the distractions of the classroom are a bit much for them.

My ADHD son is extremely intelligent, but struggles with "schoolwork." He knows his phonics sounds, but struggles to read. Writing is a struggle for him as well. We discovered that the problem was not dyslexia, but rather a problem with his visual tracking and focus. If the testing for dyslexia is negative (and perhaps even if it is not), your friend may want to consider vision therapy. We have started my son on some basic exercises, and are already seeing a huge difference in his reading and writing, as well as his ADHD (we do not medicate).

Hope that helps.

ADHD children are often quite gifted; schoolwork is just not the best avenue for them to show it. The knowledge is there, but they find schoolwork to be tedious, and the distractions of the classroom are a bit much for them.

My ADHD son is extremely intelligent, but struggles with "schoolwork." He knows his phonics sounds, but struggles to read. Writing is a struggle for him as well. We discovered that the problem was not dyslexia, but rather a problem with his visual tracking and focus. If the testing for dyslexia is negative (and perhaps even if it is not), your friend may want to consider vision therapy. We have started my son on some basic exercises, and are already seeing a huge difference in his reading and writing, as well as his ADHD (we do not medicate).

Hope that helps.

That sounds intriguing. What kind of exercises do you do with him?