Menu

SOTW 4 for a 1st grader (along with 4th grade brother)

Kay in Cal

We're getting ready to do SOTW 4 next year... I have an older son who is 8 and will be 4th grade, as well as a younger son who is 6 and will be 1st grade. He has been participating in SOTW3 this year along with his brother, answering questions, completing coloring and map pages, and sporadically doing narrations.

I know there has been some discussion of the content for SOTW4 being a bit much for younger kids... also that the workbook isn't as appropriate as the first three (ie, coloring pages, etc?).

My son isn't supersensitive, but I would love to have input from someone who has btdt. Has anyone done SOTW with this spread (4th and 1st grade), and how did you adapt it to be appropriate for the younger child?

We're getting ready to do SOTW 4 next year... I have an older son who is 8 and will be 4th grade, as well as a younger son who is 6 and will be 1st grade. He has been participating in SOTW3 this year along with his brother, answering questions, completing coloring and map pages, and sporadically doing narrations.

I know there has been some discussion of the content for SOTW4 being a bit much for younger kids... also that the workbook isn't as appropriate as the first three (ie, coloring pages, etc?).

My son isn't supersensitive, but I would love to have input from someone who has btdt. Has anyone done SOTW with this spread (4th and 1st grade), and how did you adapt it to be appropriate for the younger child?

I used it with my crew last year with no problems. We listened to it in the van and had great discussions. I Think you'll be fine.

Also, I think there are coloring pages for it available on the PHP site.

Good to see you again! How are you guys doing?

ETA: Here's a link to the coloring pages.

Thanks, JudoMom! I think the additional pages will be perfect! I haven't had much time to preview curriculum for next year, but I wanted to check what folks had done.

I've been off the boards this year mostly because I'm so totally busy--we are still homeschooling, but my SAHD husband Doug has been in and out of the hospital for the last 6 months, and we are still adjusting to our new home and church in San Diego area. It's been a year now, but boy, this year went fast!

Thanks, JudoMom! I think the additional pages will be perfect! I haven't had much time to preview curriculum for next year, but I wanted to check what folks had done.

I've been off the boards this year mostly because I'm so totally busy--we are still homeschooling, but my SAHD husband Doug has been in and out of the hospital for the last 6 months, and we are still adjusting to our new home and church in San Diego area. It's been a year now, but boy, this year went fast!

Ugh! I'm sorry to hear about Doug. How's he doing now?

with the same ages of kids. At times it was overwhelming all the details of all the battles, but overall they loved it. We did a lot of civil war hands on activities which helped the younger crew and lots of hands on world war 2 activities as well. It is doable and I recommend it. I think the new coloring pages will help. We had lots of coloring books to add to it. I would just keep in mind that your first grader really does not have to "get it all." Hope you have a great year.

Angie

(home4fun)