Menu

What my kids are doing in the Fall. (Grades 7, 5, 1)

I don't know that we have had a "What Our Kids Are Doing Next Year" thread so I am going to start one. We are looking forward to a less stressful year and a greater focus on science and history and art than this year. We spent huge amounts of time on math and english this year. It was very successful, but very tiring too. We are going to consolidate our gains in the Fall and not worry too much about making the fantastic progress. Instead we are going to have FUN! Japanese School is a family project because I want to learn Japanese and I am dragging everyone else along.

Amanda - Grade 7

Math - Videotext Algebra DEF

Science - WTM style Life Science (Human Body, Animals, Plants) with Lyric Life Science 1, 2, 3

Geography - Trail Guide to US Geography

English - WriteGuide with Jensen Format Writing

Living Memory Poetry Recitation

Lightning Literature 8 with Online G3

Latin 100 with Lone Pine

Foreign Language - Japanese Language School (Saturday mornings)

Logic - Art of Argument and The Argument Builder

Music - Recorder Lessons

Art - Artistic Pursuits Junior High Book 2

Michael - Grade 5

Math - Keys to Decimals, Fractions, PercentsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦. (back up plan is Life of Fred)

Science - WTM style Life Science (Human Body, Animals, Plants)

Geography - Trail Guide to US Geography

English - IEW All Things Fun and Fascinating (if this doesn't work plan B is SWICC A)

How to Teach Spelling Level 3

Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus

English from the Roots Up Volumes 1, 2

Music - Piano Lessons and possible Recorder Lessons

Art - Artistic Pursuits Grade 4-6 Book 1

Peter - Grade 1

Math - Right Start C

Science - WTM style Life Science (Human Body, Animals, Plants)

Geography - Cantering the Country (with Trail Guide to US Geography as appropriate)

English - Writing WIth Ease Level 2

All About Spelling Level 3

Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus

English from the Roots Up Volumes 1, 2

Music - Piano Lessons

Art - Artistic Pursuits Grade K -2 Book 2

I don't know that we have had a "What Our Kids Are Doing Next Year" thread so I am going to start one.

We're doing:

• Science: Marine Biology (finish up Singapore Biology Matters and add in several NC-specific ocean-related projects)

• Math: Discrete Math and Cryptography (Art of Problem Solving online classes in Number Theory and Counting & Probability, plus Bletchley Park lesson plans and some other stuff...)

• Economics (Teaching Company videos plus a discussion group)

• History of Science (Hakim books with a group)

• Literature: LLfLOTR (group) and Shakespeare (group)

• Latin (online)

• Spanish (class)

Then he has some extracurricular stuff... Flute lessons, a Junior Historians club, a science fair project, math team (MathCounts, AMC exams, and possibly computational linguistics), and he wants to learn more programming... especially databases. That might end up being a "course" in the end.

I think we can handle it.... I'm already slightly panicked about the schedule, especially in the spring when with any luck we might have another run of science fair dates like we did this year (nine competitions! eek!), plus MathCounts. There's a very slight chance... VERY slight... that we could add a First Lego League team, but only because we have a working robot already from another round, and because it could be made to overlap with other things. If all that happens, we'll put a lot of stuff on hiatus for the February-March competition season, and possibly extend our year into the summer a bit to finish up.

Good idea!

The one thing I'm putting even more emphasis on this year for all the kids is memory work, across the curriculum. I'm even going to get the little one memorizing stuff later in the year.

Dd - 10 in August

Math - She'll finish AoPS Number Theory (which she started a few weeks ago because it looked like fun), and do LoF Advanced Algebra. We have a lot of other stuff for extras, but I have no idea what the entire year will end up looking like.

Language Arts - MCT Voyage level, plus AAS Level 6. She also has a lit list of about 22 books that correspond with history.

History - prehistory through ~1000 CE, using DK's History: The Definitive Visual Guide and the Oxford World in Ancient Times set

Science - PLATO MS Life Science and PLATO MS Earth & Space Science. She's also going to read Science Matters & watch the corresponding lectures from TTC, and we're going to do some history of science stuff.

Latin - Latin Prep 1

Logic - Critical Thinking 1 online course

Music Appreciation - using The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History as a "spine" and for music suggestions

Music Skills - piano lessons, trumpet lessons, homeschool band

Art Appreciation - using DK's Art: Over 2,500 Works...

Art Skills - drawing. something with drawing. she wants to learn to draw but neither dh or I can really draw; we're hoping to find someone locally to give lessons

PE/Health - she swims 1-2x/week, plus generally outdoor running around, and we're going to do several health-related GS badges.

Extracurriculars - aforementioned homeschool band, Girl Scouts, Master's Academy, and hopefully Math Club

Ds - 5

Math - Right Start A/B; probably Miquon alongside

Language Arts - FLL 1, WWE 1, SWO A, HWT, a huge long list of books, OPGTR

History - SOTW 1

Science - nothing formal, but we have a lot of the T&K Little Labs and many Let's Read and Find Out books

Art - I have to schedule art projects or we don't do them, so we're going to do stuff from How to Teach Art to Children

PE - gymnastics, swim lessons, outdoor running around

Dd - 2 in November

I'm probably going to start her on the first Kumon books around January, just to have something sit-down for her that technically either of the other two could 'supervise' while I'm working with the other one.

Edited by patchfire

I'm trying to really consolidate our stuff for next year. I'm not sure how successful I'll be. To begin with:

Ariel (6):

Math: Right Start C, Miquon, Oak Meadow 2

LA: Dancing Bears, Oak Meadow 2, some books from AO and SL, plus my own picks

Science: Oak Meadow 2, BFSU

Social Studies: Oak Meadow 2

Art: OM2

Music: Piano lessons, probably Bastien Piano Basics level 1

Foreign Language: La Clase Divertida 2 & begin 3

PE: Irish Dance, maybe swimming or horseback riding

In case we need more to do:

Math: MEP 2

LA: Apples & Pears Spelling, WWE 2

Social Studies: SOTW

Art: Atelier 2

Edited by Aurelia

Son: grade 9

Literature: The American Experience (Prentice Hall), MCT's Self Evident Truth series, supplemental reading

Grammar and Composition: MCT Magic Lens and Advanced Academic Writing, Wordly Wise 11, Easy Grammar Ultimate 11, Megawords 3

Math: Finish Foerster's Algebra II with Math Without Borders and begin precalculus (resource TBD)

Science: The Cosmos (Pasachoff and Filippenko), Understanding the Universe (Teaching Company), supplemental reading

History: The American Odyssey (from K12), The History of the United States (Teaching Company), supplemental reading

Latin: Cambridge Latin Course Unit 2

Health: Making Life Choices (Glencoe)

Violin: Lessons

Son: grade 3

Language Arts: Mosdos Coral, MCT Town level, Megawords 1, Daily Grams 5, classic literature

Math: Singapore 5 and possibly 6

Science: Science Explorer Astronomy, Inside Earth, and Earth's Changing Surface with supplemental reading

History: SOTW 3 and 4 with supplemental reading

Latin: Finish Lively Latin 1, Minimus Secondus

Art, Music, PE: Outside classes

Fun thread!

Here's what we've been working on for K:

MEP Year 1a, Miquon, SM 1a

Sonlight Science K

R&S Bible Stories and coloring

Books- read alouds and independent reading

Come this fall, I have:

An Evan Moore book for phonics or Horizons Phonics

Two Kumon books for handwriting

SM 1b, MEP Year 1b

My big girl is old enough for recreation this summer too!

Edited by MissKNG

I love these threads. :)

Ds6 (7 in Nov):

Math - SM3 A & B, flash card drills, cuisenaire rods w/workbooks

History - SOTW3 & living books & movies/documentaries from Netflix

Science - The Elements from McHenry & living books, followed by ???

LA - MCT Island, Spelling Steps 3, AR reading program

continuing painting, sketching, and pottery lessons

continuing piano lessons with dh

continuing karate - he'll be a green belt by the end of the summer!

once a week gifted program at ps

monthly science classes at the local museum or aquarium

If we can find a Spanish teacher for him he'll continue Spanish as well.

DS 8th Grade, DS 7th grade, Ds 2nd Grade (Still working on DD 5th grade)

Saxon Math: Algebra 1/2, 87, 3

Rod & Staff English (The older boys started the series late): 6, 5, 2

Spelling & Vocabulary: Vocabulary for Life, Calvert Cd-roms, Calvert Cd-roms

Pentime Penmanship: 8th grade, 7th grade, 2nd grade

History: History Odyssey Modern, History Odyssey Early Modern, SOTW Vol. 2

Science: Apologia Physical Science, Apologia General Science, McGraw-Hill Science 2

Latin: Oxford Latin 1, Oxford Latin 1/2

Greek: Hey Andrew Level 4

Logic: Introduction to Logic

My ds is going to use that Econ Teaching Company course, too. A friend of mine is a Econ prof at a local Liberal Arts College and likes the guy who does that TTC course, so I'm hopeful it will be good.

Next year is my last year homeschooling. (Let me pause for a moment while we absorb the significance of that milestone!) After being in charge of every course this year, I'm happy to be farming most of it out except literature and the semester of Econ:

12th grade:

English and American Lit: 2 courses of my own creation, with MCT grammar for review, and probably Rulebook for Arguments. I'm having fun developing the reading lists.

Chemistry at the local community college

college algebra also at the local community college

Drawing and Painting at the umbrella charter school

Civics at the umbrella charter fall semester

Econ with the Teaching Company and additional reading, spring semester

We're keeping our fingers crossed that he gets and internship at the zoo, but won't know for another week or so. My ds will only be 16 at graduation, so he is going to stay at the community college for at least another year before applying to regular college. I'll be done homechooling but won't be facing an empty nest, yet!

My ds is going to use that Econ Teaching Company course, too. A friend of mine is a Econ prof at a local Liberal Arts College and likes the guy who does that TTC course, so I'm hopeful it will be good.

I picked it because I've generally liked TC courses and because it was on a better-than-average sale. ;) So I'm glad to hear it's recommended!! Are you doing all 36 lectures in one semester? I'm currently scheduling as though we needed five hours a week to take a whole year for it (plus a couple hours a week for the discussion group), but I wouldn't mind finding out that it might get it done quicker! Spring can wreak havoc with the schedule here, and anything we can get ahead on will help.

Next year is my last year homeschooling. (Let me pause for a moment while we absorb the significance of that milestone!) After being in charge of every course this year, I'm happy to be farming most of it out except literature and the semester of Econ

Congratulations! :) (and eek! LOL - it's coming up on me faster than I'd like to admit!) I can definitely sympathize with the relief of farming out... I'm really REALLY looking forward to not being the only responsible adult in the plans next year.... ;)

DD, (5-turning 6 in November)-1st grade. (Started in late May at her insistence)

History/literature-

Summer-Unit study on mythological creatures, especially dragons, around the world, with lots of reading, geography, drawing, and writing.

Fall-World history, tentatively following Sonlight with some SoTW and a lot of room for rabbit trails, Sonlight 2 adv readers, unless she's read them all before then. She was sleeping on "A Llama in the Family" the other night.

Science-AIMS, focusing on life science this year.

LA-Read and Practice Mini Books-Grammar, Punctuation, Vocabulary, Spelling, from Scholastic, Brian P. Cleary Books, Grammar Songs, Madlibs.

Phonics-Scott Foresman Phonics Readers and Spelling, grade 3

HWT cursive, will begin copywork in cursive once she has the letters down well.

Math-Finish Primary Math 1B/IP/CWP, while exploring whatever she's interested in. Right now, that seems to be setting up systems of equations with multiple unknowns, and solving them. MOving into 2A/B

Song School Latin. Not sure whether to follow with Song School Greek before going on in Latin, or whether to move on to Latin for Children.

Elementary Spanish 1/2 on Discovery Education

Art-Weekly class at the community center, starting in fall

Music-Music for Little Mozarts book 3/4 at home and Kindermusik for the Young Child semester 3/4 (as a formal class).

Ballet/tap class. plus various sports and physical activity classes at the local community center.

DD14 & DD12

Math: Alg.2

Science: Chemistry

English: Speech and Drama class at local Chrsitian school

NaNoWriMo participation

Art: God & the History of Art

U.S. History (Notgrass)

PE: soccer teams/farm chores/etc.

Foreign Language: Latin 1 (ct'd) and French 1, both Rosetta Stone

Health - Basic First Aid through 2 Red Cross classes

Intro. to Logic

DD10

Math: Sxn. 8/7

Science: assorted, modified Chemistry from what her sisters are doing

English: NaNoWriMo, workbooks to reinforce punctuation/capitalization rules, Apples & Pears Spelling (I FINALLY found something that helps!! Thanks OP!)

U.S. History (modified, again, from older sisters)

The rest will be the same stuff her sisters are doing, but modified :D

DD5

lots of reading

plenty of alphabet/phonics practice, real-life math and counting, and running around catching toads, frogs, etc.

I love reading what you're all planning...

This is the skeleton of what we'll be doing.

GR 10/sophomore

Algebra 2 with Dolciani & supplemented with Gelfand's (she's already done some of the Gelfand's with Alg 1)

Conceptual Physics

& Apologia Biology (her choices--kind of easy, but next year AP)

English: Lit (can't remember the program title and books TBD if not assigned there), Analytical Grammar, outsourced writing course

US history, either Tindall's America or American Pageant (both on order used) along with Great Course college level lectures on US history

German with OSU online

TL 2 (behind there, but drags herself through her studies. She could easily be a senior by now or more...:glare:)

Phys Ed

Gr 8

Algebra 1 with Foerster's (already completed LOF Beginning Algebra)

History of the Ancient World by SWB along with some classics

English: finish R&S 7, start 8 lit--still being determined, along with 2 MCT books, Essay Voyage & Poetry & Humanity/ies

German: RS along with German is Fun for grammar

Latin: Latin Primer 3 (latin is never a big enough priority around here & my dc are behind.)

Science: Runkle's Geography (physical geography) followed by RS4K Chem II

Art: still figuring out

Tradtional Logic I

Phys Ed

Grade 5

SM 6A & B, LOF Decimals, probably start Mathematics from Perpendicular Press

English: R&S 5 along with Paragraph Town (reluctant writer!) & reading

Science RS4K all 3 books supplemented as needed, especially in Physics

Latin Primer 2

RS German

Story of the World III

Phys Ed

Art finish Stebbing course

NB I almost invariably forget things when I do these lists because it's all out of sight.

We'll do the Econ course in one 18 week semester -- 2 lectures a week plus reading that is yet to be determined. Doing it in that manner means the pace is like a college class, but it wasn't a problem with the Teaching Company biology course this year.

My ds did robotics, not FLL, but FTC -- the next size up. It really did eat up lots of time the closer we'd get to tournament season, and we really had to be creative in keeping up with regular school. He probably won't be doing it again this fall. He likes the design aspect, but not the competitions so much.

DD and DS 9:

Math: review in saxon 6/5 then on to LOF fractions, decimals and either a pre-algebra or the basic alg. also want to find a problem solving workbook for them

literature: not sure yet. We will continue with McGuffy readers (they were in level 5 last year). I usually pull titles from various lists and from the NC curriculum book list. We may try a little Shakespeare becaus ehtey have been interested. will likely read the Hobbit and the fellowship of the rings but beyond that, I don't know.

vocabulary: we use "tampa reads" lists. They will complete grade 5 and move to grade 6

spelling: sequential spelling is what we have used in the past but they may be beyond it now. Their spelling has gotten really good just by writing and reading

language: rosetta stone spanish - we are going to try this...

writing: we will likely do creative writing related to the books we read. I don't like any of the formal writing programs I have researched... too contrived. But I do want to hit on basic essay writing and we will also do at least 3 research projects.

science: rs4k only because I bought all the books 2 yrs ago. I'm not thrilled with them but they offer a basic intro. from there, we will do lots of experiements and we may work toward a science fair as well

history: SOTW We are part way through book 3. so we will finish and go on to 4. we will also read several american biographies.

DS 6

math: a mix of memorizing all the facts. he has add and part of subtract. then we will work toward mult and div. we will also do a lot of probems solving, fractions, measurement, low level geom., time, money, place value. I won't use a set curriculum for him.

every thing else will be similar to the older two, just brought down to his level. He was really young when we wennt through the SOTW books so I may start over with him so he gets the timeline of history. older two love those books so I'm sure they will get a lot from reading again.

alison

Thank you so much for this thread on THIS board. I have been using HST+ to plan the year and it seems like soooo much curriculum. Then I looked at all of your plans and my plans don't look so crazy after all :lol:.

Since DS went so stinkin' fast last year through curriculum, I am challenging him a bit this year.

Here we go (DS turned 5 the end of May):

History - SOTW 2

Bible: Rod and Staff Grade 5

Language Arts: FLL, WWE, A Reason for Handwriting B, Megawords 1, Wordly Wise 3, Rod and Staff Reading Grade 5

Math - Horizons Grade 4 (and I am sure Grade 5 :001_huh: in the spring)

Science - God's Design for Life - The Human Body, Plants and Animals

Spanish - Muzzy and private lessons

Chinese - Chinese School on Saturdays and private lessons

Enrichment Activities on Tuesdays and Fridays; Co-op every other Wednesday

DS is excited. We should be finished with the little bits of pieces of leftover curriculum by July 1st. We start back on August 2nd.

Every day I send up thanks for this board. It is about the only place that I don't feel like an uber-weird homeschooler! :tongue_smilie:

Most of what we're planning to use for the fall is in my signature.

12th grade

Thinkwell for one semester each of government and economics

community college for English I&II, Japanese III&IV, Physics I&II, one semester Statistics, and one semester Calculus I

10th grade

OM 10 world history

OM 10 English

Teaching Company Shakespeare: Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies (we'd just do the histories since we did the comedies this year)

short story discussion group to meet 1x/month.

Giancoli's Physics with labpaq

Kinetic Books Algebra II

p.e.

Foundations in Personal Finance (Ramsey) for one semester

not sure about other elective

7th grade

OM 6 world history

OM 6 English

supplement with my favorite readers/readalouds from SL Core 6

finish up Key to Decimals/Percents, keep going with Key to Algebra as 5 minute daily math

start and hopefully finish Lial's BCM

do something construction/architecture-based for science

Edited by AngieW in Texas

This is a fun thread! This year will be our first homeschooling, so we'll see what there is time for and adjust as necessary. Ds is 5 and in first grade. My current plan is:

CC Foundations

English - WWE1, FLL1-2, AAS1-3

Math - Singapore 2 & Miquon

History - finish up Guesthollow Native American unit, then on to CHOW with lots of biographies

Art - Evan More's How to Teach Art to Children & Draw Write Now

Music appreciation to coincide with CHOW

Bible - Explorers Beginning II Bible Study & lapbooks

Science - BFSU, Human body unit, animal studies, weather unit, electricity unit

Children's lit - the basics you would expect

Phys Ed - swimming lessons, baseball, basketball

Fun stuff that we might cut if life gets too crazy:

Latin - SSL

Logic - SET game, Mindbenders, Unlocking Analogies, Logic Countdown

Geography - Complete Book of Maps & Geography

Edited by Staceyshoe

This year will be our first year homeschooling and I will be in 11th grade.

Chemistry

Precalculus/Calculus

Rhetoric

American Literature

U.S. II (1865-present)

Astronomy

Italian III

Fundamentals of Music II/Piano

Health

CPR classes

Volunteering at animal shelter(3-4x week)

We're so excited that we are only waiting until July 12th to begin. If we can even wait that long :)

Hey MaMa2005 I know what you mean about them speeding through the curric. It can be a bit crazy at times.

Here's our short list for the fall. Of course things get rearranged often around here... so come fall it may look very different indeed.

My 5th Grader

History - Ancients this year Usborne's Encyclopedia of World History as the spine

Math - MUS Epsilon, LoF fractions, MUS Zeta, LoF decimals

Science - WTM style Life Science (Human Body, Animals, Plants just finishing up botany) with Apologia Zoology 1-3 and Anatomy (probably go into summer)

Geography - Child's Geography Exploring His Earth

English - MCT Grammar Town level

Sequential Spelling 2

Foreign Language - Minimus Secundus

Logic - Haven't decided yet

Music - Piano Lessons, Themes to Remember Vol. 2 and AO Music Study

Art - Child-sized Masterpieces 5-6 and AO Art Study

My 3rd grader

History - Ancients this year Usborne's Encyclopedia of World History as the spine

Math - MUS Delta, MUS Epsilon, LoF fractions

Science - WTM style Life Science (Human Body, Animals, Plants just finishing up botany) with Apologia Zoology 1-3 and Anatomy (probably go into summer)

Geography - Child's Geography Exploring His Earth

English - MCT Grammar Island level

Sequential Spelling 1

Foreign Language - Minimus Secundus

Music - Piano Lessons, Themes to Remember Vol. 2 and AO Music Study

Art - Child-sized Masterpieces 4-6 and AO Art Study

My 1st Grader

History - Ancients this year SOTW 1

Math - MUS Alpha

Geography - SOTW 1 AG

English - FLL 1 & 2

Phonics Pathways

Reading Pathways

Foreign Language - Minimus Starting Out in Latin

Music - Piano Lessons, Themes to Remember Vol. 2

Art - Child-sized Masterpieces Level 2-3

My 3yo will

will do a little living math, some starfall and Phonics Pathways. She'll likely join us for art and music. I have some worksheets printed out for her to do when she's driving us all a bit crazy with "Whacha doin" :lol: But nothing formal or really very informal this year for her.

Our school year doesn't start until next Feb but i am planning already :)

DD 2nd

Miquon

AAS 4 and probably 5

WWE 2

Thinking about MCT Island

SOTW 2 with book basket

Very undecided on science

Getting Started with Latin

Discoveries in Art

Discoveries in Music

Violin lessons

Quality literature from AO, VP, SL etc

DS Prep (your K)

Miquon

AAS 2 and maybe 3

Websters Speller

Readers with a focus on building fluency

Song School Latin

Handwriting

No formal science, history or geography

Joining big sis for art & music

Violin lessons

Quality literature from SL, AO, VP etc

DD 3yo Mum's Playschool

She is already asking for reading lessons which we are taking casually, will continue.

Quality literature from SL, AO, VP etc

May begin some handwriting instruction towards the end of the year

They will all be getting baby education when the new little one arrives :D

DD will be in 2nd:

CW Primer

Practical Arithmetics + Mathabacus

Latin (Minimus or Elementary Latin, still haven't decided)

History (U.S. History with History Pockets, History of Us DVD, GuestHollow, and whatever else I cobble together)

Finishing Word Mastery for phonics then starting Webster's Spelling

Geography: Evan-Moor Beginning Geography, followed by a 50 States unit

Science: R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Earth and Space

Literature: American folktales

Classical Studies: Bible stories

Heathen Studies: Virtue study, maybe beginning rune study

Doodle will be turning 8 in the fall, so technically still 2nd grade.

Memory Work

Song School Latin

Anki (deck of our math, LA, history, and science)

Foreign Language

Farsi (not sure)

Spanish (Complete Book of Spanish and BYKI Spanish)

Math

Saxon 76 then 87

Kumon

Creative Problem Solving in School Mathematics

Science

GSA Astronomy, GSA Human Body, Mommy-Designed Inventions Study

Language Arts

We're going to jump on the bandwagon and try MCT the complete first level.:p

library books

Handwriting Help for Kids- Create Cursive

History/ Geography

A Little History of the World with coordinating library books and whatever

Maps Globes Graphs D

Arts

violin

Art in Story

I think that's it.

Mandy

I will have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader. Unless otherwise noted the things listed are for both my boys. Planning is still in progress.

Bible and Missions:

We will be looking in depth at the types and shadows found in the old covenant as well as reading 10 biographies of well-known missionaries in Asia. We will continue with praise and worship time, memory work, and practice looking up Bible texts.

History and Geography:

We will be looking in depth at ancient cultures around the globe up until the time of ancient Rome using living books and activities.

We will do a general overview of the plight of children around the world before continuing to an in depth study of India, Thailand, and China using living books and activities.

Map reading: Informal activities to learn how to read maps and atlases.

Math:

The boys will continue with their math studies. We plan to use Singapore math as well as supplements. Since we are switching from another curriculum, the levels will be determined when they test at the end of this school year. Likely 2A or 2B for 1st grader and 3A for the 3rd grader.

Language Arts

Literature: My third grader will listen to classic read alouds. Our tentative list is Kim, Ben Hur, Moby Dick, Helen Keller Story of My Life, Huckleberry Finn, Ring of Bright Water, The Prince and the Pauper, and Up From Slavery. My first grader will listen to a large amount of picture books as well as chapter books like Just So Stories, Wind in the Willows, Lassie Come Home, Heidi, and James and the Giant Peach.

Reading: My third grader will read Alice in Wonderland, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, The Hobbit, A Christmas Carol, The Pearl, The Invisible Man, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Ben Hur. My first grader will continue with Sonlight grade 2 readers and then move on to chapter books like My Father's Dragon.

Spelling: 3rd grader Finish Sequential Spelling 1 and move on to Sequential Spelling 2

Handwriting: 3rd grader Italic Level D, 1st grader Italic Level C

Vocabulary: Rummy Roots

Phonics: 1st grader will complete Explode the Code online

Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts program: 3rd grader Island level

Informal language arts: 1st grader (blogging, silent reading) Since my first grader loves to write I will give him more time for blogging and reading books of interest. I'll wait till second grade before I start grammar. Rummy Roots will likely be played too.

Science:

We will look in depth at cells, the human body, genetics and microbiology related to human diseases using living books and experiments. The third grader and first grader will look at the same topic, but with different depth and resources. The third grader will also continue with his online astronomy course from a university in Michigan as well as his independent studies online.

Art:

We will look at five different artists and their work as well as have time for free expression.

Music:

We will start guitar lessons and continue with music theory using Music Ace. We will also look at the music of five classical musicians as well as five modern musicians or musical groups.

Foreign Languages

Mandarin: Continue with Rosetta Stone Mandarin and start Chinese Made Easy for Kids

Greek: Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek Level 2

Arabic: Continue with Alif Baa

French: Nallenart L’Art de Lire Level 1

Edited by Wehomeschool
Made it easier to read

In July we will be taking each kid out to eat separately, then hold a working dinner to plan out their year with them. This past year was crazy--it was the first year we really got involved with hs groups, and we got heavily involved in two good groups, and spent most of the year driving to different wonderful classes. It also was the first year we tried online courses for the two older kids. It was all fantastically stimulating and passionate and exciting. But by March we were running ragged and the oldest was falling behind in his online classes, so we pulled out of one fantastic (and free) Shakespeare class to buy him 4 extra hours a week to get work done at home. This year we want to be more careful in our planning. As you look at the lists below, you will see how futile that is!:lol:

At dinner with the 13 yo, we will be discussing his plans for his 8th grade year, but also loosely plan out his high school years and summers. We want him to think about and make tentative decisions on when he wants to do what courses, when he would do standardized tests (PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc.) when would he do AP tests, and which tests to do--does he want to commit to time-intensive AP online courses or does he want to spend 6 weeks in the spring cramming for tests in subjects where he already has knowledge? What are the summer programs he wants to take? What does he have to do to qualify for these programs (like Interlochen)? The idea is to give him more control and not freak him out. :tongue_smilie:

For the 11 yo, we will look at increasing his study load (he was really underworked this year for some reason) discuss doing AoPS, plan for a math camp, a coop math club and other interests.

This will be my last time going through SOTW Vol II and I REALLY want to make sure we do as many projects as possible. Last year doing Vol 1 my daughter got gypped --we spent so much time driving we didn't have time to do most of the projects in Vol. I. This year will be different!!!

Things that are on the list for our summer dinners:

13 yo ds

high school honors biology--either online GLL or a hs group, waiting to hear if hs group is a go

literature and writing--outsourced online

Jacobs algebra

high school honors U.S. history--either online GLL, hs coop (won't know if coop class it is a go till July) or another history

spanish--if hs class is a go, otherwise need to find plan B

art class at wonderful art school--drawing

theater class at drama school

jazz dance class downtown

Shakespeare play in fall with hs group

filmmaking at hs coop

hs coop--must take 2 academic courses, then 2 fun courses

taekwondo classes, demo team, silver team (student instructors)

Boy Scouts, Life Scout, finish Eagle merit badges, start planning Eagle project

11yo ds

AoPS Algebra, and/or finish Jacobs Alg.

literature and writing--outsourced online

Conceptual Physics with me

math club

medieval history with me, Year 1000 AD, possibly A Distant Mirror on 14th C.

spanish--if hs class is a go

art class at local school--drawing

Shakespeare play in fall

filmmaking at coop

hs coop--must take min. of two academic courses

Boy Scouts--try to get First Class by January, work on Citizen of Community merit badge with brother

taekwondo--classes, demo team, silver team

8yo dd

saxon 5/4, finish in fall, start 6/5

Conceptual physics with me, with other projects

math club

SOTW medieval history--projects! projects! projects!

spanish--if hs class is a go

art class--drawing

Shakespeare play in fall with hs group

hs coop--minimum of two academic courses

taekwondo--try for black belt by winter

Brownies--try to make it to more meetings (conflict with coop) do some tryits at home

dance class

musical theater class

piano

vocal ensemble class

OK, now I am very, very scared.

Maria

Our plans for the Fall for my 15 yr. old

Apologetics and Theology with Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology

Rhetoric and Logic

Precalculus

AP Chemistry

AP European History

Spanish I/II

Extracurriculars

Speech and Debate Club and participation in Tournaments during the Spring Semester

Piano lessons, theory, Music appreciation, festivals

Martial Arts, Church and Youth Group activities

Science Olympiad & Chemistry Olympiad??

Auto Fundamentals Course

National Honor Society, Community Service

For my 12 yr. old

Omnibus I

Writing & Grammar

Apologia Biology with Labs

Algebra I

Latin I

Logic I

Extracurriculars:

Piano lessons, theory, Music appreciation, recitals, festivals

Speech and debate

Martial Arts

Youth Group

DD the Elder, going into 3rd:

• Math -- I have no idea. My plan was to wait another year before starting algebra, but this is looking increasingly unlikely
  • Science -- probably zip through Singapore Interactive, then look at some conceptual courses; maybe start The Story of Science; maybe do an in depth genetics unit; Science is her call
  • Handwriting -- GDI
  • LA -- MCT
  • Spelling -- Megawords 6, maybe 7
  • Latin -- LP2 and CLC Unit 2
  • Spanish -- Learnables 4, reading, bits of SYRWTL Spanish
  • History -- cobbled together, loosely based on HO, but mostly reading biographies and historical fiction
  • Art -- still nothing formal, lots of hands on activities
  • Music -- no formal study
  • Misc -- continue Complete-a-Sketch

DD the Younger --K/1

• Phonics/Spelling/copywork/dicatation -- Phonics Pathways
  • Handwriting -- GDI
  • Math -- finish last bit of MEP Y1 and move to Y2; CWP; I'm undecided about continuing with Miquon
  • Art -- entirely self-directed at this point; it's hard to keep up with her
  • Music -- informal
  • Spanish -- Puertas Abiertas
  • Science -- R.E.A.L. Science: Life
  • still focusing on myths, folk tales, fairy tales, legends, etc. in read alouds

GREAT THREAD

My 1st grader will be doing:

Math: Rightstart C (2nd half) and D; Were going to add CalMath 3, but now probably EPSY instead

Language Arts: LanguageSmarts D (and again, EPSY?)

Spelling: Spectrum 5

Handwriting: HWT 2 (and probably cursive mid-year)

History: SOTW 1-2 (We're in the middle)

Science: Apololgia Flying Animals & REAL Science

Latin: Root Words/English from the Roots Up

Then, to study "out" more, we do 2 weekly co-ops, where I have vendors teaching:

LEGO Robotics (1 quarter)

Fine Arts (bi-weekly)

Musical Theater (1 quarter)

Spanish (bi-weekly)

Music Appreciation (bi-weekly)

Geography (bi-weekly)

And bi-weekly charter workshops for:

Creative Writing

AIMS math/science

FIAR/Children Around the World group activities

Plus Religion class: Faith First curriculum

PE: taekwondo, soccer, group activities w/ co-op

My 26 month old dabbles in:

Building Thinking Skills

Building Mathematical Skills I

ABC Reading Eggs/Step Into Reading I, etc

Music Class

and

I will be co-teaching a 2 hour co-op where we'll use Story Stretchers

I'm tired just thinking about it! :)

Edited by lisaj

I love these threads!!!

For Dd 10th grade:

Advanced Composition: Writing Clear Essays, Researching and Writing Across the Curriculum, AP Language and Composition study guide.

Themed Literature: 1st semester- Poetry, 2nd semester- to be decided.

Geometry: Larson's Geometry

U.S. History: MIT open courseware, "Inventing America", AP History study guide, several "real" books.

Integrated Science: Teaching Company Joy of Science DVDs, The Sciences: An Integrated Approach as text/study guide/labs.

Chinese I and then II: MIT open courseware, and livemocha.com.

Honors Human Geography: DeBlij, Human Geography

Advanced Music Theory: still need to decide on curriculum

Applied Music: Private lessons for piano, guitar, drums

P.E.: Kung Fu (competition/demo team, student teacher), YMCA.

Extracurricular: Homeschool Teen Social Group (Plan and run). Weekly local homeschool get-together. Weekly Homeschool Skate.

For Ds 10th grade:

Advanced Composition: Writing Clear Essays, Researching and Writing Across the Curriculum, AP Language and Composition study guide.

Themed Literature: 1st semester- Science Fiction, 2nd semester- to be decided.

Precalculus I then II: web based course through CC

U.S. History: MIT open courseware, "Inventing America", AP History study guide, several "real" books.

Chemistry I then II: at CC

Astronomy: video/selfpaced course through CC 1st semester

Physics: using Wiley Self Study Guide 2nd semester

Spanish I: to be decided.

P.E.: Kung Fu, Bowling League, YMCA

Extracurricular: Civil Air Patrol, Homeschool Teen social group (Plan and run), Weekly Homeschool Group, Weekly Homeschool Skate.

Edited by AnitaMcC

OK, now I am very, very scared.

Maria

:lol::grouphug: This is why my dc now all do almost all of their regular activities close together (about 1 mile apart from one place to the next). Otherwise my eldest wouldn't get any high school work done at all. However, next year that will change for essay writing for my eldest if all goes according to plan, but that will only be once per week. Plus, crazy me, I went & signed my 12 yo for an audition for a musical that happens in November. True, it's in my normal activity area, but makes things busier nonetheless.

You'd think that that would mean our lives were mellow and relaxed, but we're busy almost all of the time year round. Swimming on a team is 5-6 days a week, and this isn't even a US swim team (the US swim teams are, sadly, beyond our budget, or my eldest would be there in a hearbeat.) I'd have to quit this forum to do your schedule, and then where would I be? I've saved a lot of money here & found some great curricula. On the other hand, I've spent some of that money I've saved after reading this forum, too.

We are just starting back up after a 3 week "mental health" break for me. ;)

I have yet to edit my signature...

Here's what I anticipate, yet there is always room for wiggling...

Boys, 10 & 11 5th-7th and everywhere in between, and beyond (I combine them as much as possible, but my older one has more in depth assignments)

Math:

Singapore 5B, 6 A & B. Life of Fred Decimals & Percents (this summer), Pre-Algebra with Biology. We'll see what we do after that, and how fast we get there. I also do other crazy math things.

LA:

MCT Voyage level

Spellbound/sequential spelling

boys writing club

Lightning Lit 7, Suppose the Wolf 7

Science:

The Elements (summer)

CPO life science

many gifted science opportunities in my town.

History:

History at our House, US history

Story of Science, Newton

Language: Italian

I need to find the right logic program.... :tongue_smilie:

Umm... that's all I can think of right now, that seems like I am missing something important. :confused:

My daughter will do the minimum necessary for most subjects to leave the most time possible for her riding and her non-stop reading (well, it does stop when she's on a horse). She's an Aspie who tires fairly easily, so her work needs to be engaging, challenging, yet pretty compact.

Lit: various books on the history of the English language, linguistics topics, speech acquisition, etc. Readings from late medieval to early 1800s lit to accompany history. I'm thinking of taking her to audit a survey lit class at our local University of California branch since she learns particularly well though lectures (not mine!). We see a round of Shakespeare plays at our city's summer festival every year (just saw a very gory King Lear).

History: Late medieval through around the Napoleonic Wars (her request), using a selection of current trade books including a history of political espionage in Elizabeth's court, a history of manuscripts and book printing, a biography of Shakespeare, book on the plague, global trade in sugar, spices, tea, and slaves, etc. Planning trip to the Huntington in LA to see early printed books and Renaissance art. Anybody know of any good books about the Napoleonic Wars (she's currently interested in the Sharpe's Rifles series)??

Math: Comap Mathematics (integrated algebra, geometry, trigonometry).

Science: chemistry, using Zumdahl's Introductory Chemistry, a series of books on chemistry topics (such as a history of poisonings and murder, The History of Air, etc.), and labs with her chemist dad or one of his grad students.

Spanish: picture books in Spanish, daily practice in Spanish with me, Rosetta Stone, possibly a conversation class.

Riding and jumping horses, working at the stables.

Trying to put together a good plan for the fall:

Math: solidifying "pre-algebra" skills/topics this summer, following with Art of Problem Solving Introduction to Algebra when she's ready (the book only, not the online course). We'll also use one/some of the AoPS math competition books. She wants to try MOEMS this year.

Science: CPO Focus on Life Science (or just the Life Science, depending on what parts I can find used) with an emphasis on botany, using my own resources plus Botany in a Day, the Botany Coloring Book, and some DK and Usborne books from the library.

History: Until this morning she and I were set on American history, using the Hakim books. But now we're going to start with ancient history and The Human Odyssey: Life in the Ancient World, vol 1 of the K12 history set. I'll have to order the text and teacher guide asap to start planning additional material to use. We're also going to do some geography, not exactly sure what yet, but we already own the Usborne Encyclopedia of World Geography (internet-linked). I really want to use the Runkle Physical Geography but we'll save that to do with CPO Earth Science in the future.

English/Language Arts: We're going to use Voyages in English, most likely starting with 6. My older kids used VIE through their K-8 years and entered high school almost overly prepared in grammar and very prepared in writing, so we're going to stick with the program. For vocab she's going to start with the Sadlier-Oxford series Vocabulary Workshop level A. My son's high school uses the higher levels of that series. I compared online samples of the middle grade books to other vocab books I'm familiar with, and I prefer the Sadlier-Oxford books.

Foreign Language: She wants to try French so we're going to use her older sister's French 1 book and workbook (Discovering French Nouveau Bleu) from this past year, supplementing with whatever audio resources I can find. The audio CDs from the book are available used on Amazon so perhaps I'll get those. Who knows? We'll probably start French after we start the other classes.

Since this is our first homeschool year, there are many decisions to make in addition to the above curricular choices. She has been playing flute this year and isn't sure if she wants to continue or switch to violin. So lessons? Ensemble? $$$$$???? Continue with classical ballet? How many classes each week? Or try ice skating (she has been asking to try for almost a year, whoops)? We know that she WILL be continuing with Girl Scouts and children's choir at church.

I feel like I've forgotten something!

Yacko will be doing CLE 7/800 Math, LA & Science. We're looking at Landmark Baptist's Lit & Social Studies for him & Wacko. Wacko will be using CLE 600 math, LA & science. They'll both be taking Spanish.

Dot will be starting 300 LA & Math in October, she's halfway through the 200 now and we'll continue working through the summer. She'll do the 200 level reading, and possibly the 200 level science, moving into 300 by midwinter unless we choose something else. We're still working on what we want to use for history/social studies. Oh, and she's doing French (a combination of Powerglide Jr & Muzzy) and Spanish along with the boys.

Edited by skaterbabs

My 15yo is going to do (I hope... these things never work out quite as planned):

Drawing at the CC

Precalc with Blitzer

Speech at the CC

More ancients great books a la TWTM/TWEM

More writing about them using Jane Schaffer's curriculum (we are finally making some progress, now that I've discovered this)

More writing in general using Writers Inc

More working on whatever technical projects he can come up with

More learning how to use his laptop efficiently and non-distractedly

More learning how to study and be organized

More learning how to design his own experiment

More natural history

More teaching himself piano

More working on outlining books (especially science textbooks) and taking notes

Some French grammar

French language arts using Francais 5e

History/Geography using Histoire/Geographie 5e

Latin very lightly continuing to read fairy tales

A bit of Japanese in preparation for (hopefully) a trip to Japan

More peacewalking

Continue to peck away at sight singing

Gymnastics

Except for the CC drawing and speech (during which we won't try to do any great books or work on the experiments), and the addition of Japanese and French grammar (don't ask me where those are going to fit - we're faster at the history now and we'll only do parts of Francais 5e), and switching from NEM to Blitzer for math, this is a continuation of last year. We've both done the math and it looks like it should fit. We'll see. Fortunately, many of the things don't need to be done for the whole year or can be worked on concurrently (like the writing and the Japanese).

-Nan

My sixth grade dd:

Real Science 4 Kids: Chemistry with KOGS (actually doing this in the summer)

Classical Writing: Diogenes: Maxim with Harvey's grammar, Intermediate Poetry

Life of Fred: Beginning Algebra and possibly the up-coming pre-algebra

First Form Latin (We've gotten behind, so I'm thinking about doing an on-line course.)

History/Literature/Art/Music: A plan of my own making that still needs to be made! We will be on modern history. I'm using History of US, SOTW, Guerber, Abraham Lincoln's World and much more.

Miscellaneous Fun Stuff: Editor in Chief Software, Revenge of the Riddle Spiders, Reading Dectective RX

Friday co-op: Spanish, Art, PE, Drama, Science

Extra-curricular: Equestrian, Choir, Piano, Swimming, Awana

I prefer this thread to the "what your _th grader is doing." I find it difficult to really participate because it's such a narrow age/grade band. I like seeing more variety.

It's also interesting to read what you all have posted: I appreciate seeing the spikes (a child being accelerated, but vastly so in math, for example). I imagine I can get a feel for a child's personality after reading his/her curriculum list for the coming year. I think I can get a feel for the parent, too.

Here are my (loose) plans for the fall --

ds (logic)

Math: Singapore Primary Math 6, VideoText Algebra A & B, and MathCounts

Literary Analysis: Teaching the Classics

History: books from Sonlight Core 6 and DK History: The Definitive Guide

Language Arts: Editor in Chief, a sentence-diagramming text, Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Latin: First Form Latin

Religion: Christ Our Life, The Story of the Church: Her Founding, Mission, and Progress

Logic:The Fallacy Detective

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Biology fleshed out a bit with various resources including on-line dissection (if it flies with ds) and an independent paleontology study

Russian: Rosetta Stone and children's books

Art: an art class and a drama class

Music: cello lessons, cello group class, orchestra

dd (grammar)

Math: Singapore Primary Math 3B/4A

Language Arts: Sonlight LA 2 or 2 adv, All About Spelling, journal writing, pen pal letters, Mad Libs, and books from Sonlight Core 1

History: finishing up Story of the World 1 and using SOTW 2

Religion: Christ Our Life, Marigold Hunt's books (Life of Our Lord for Children, The First Christians, A Book of Angels), added readings about saints in history as we go along

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Biology and lapbooking

Russian: Rosetta Stone and children's books

Art: Meet the Masters and a drama class

Music: viola lessons, viola group class, violin group class, string quartet, orchestra

ds(4/5)

Reading: Hooked on Phonics and Bob books

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Pre-Level 1 Biology (only 'cause he's a bit obsessed with the book right now)

playing around with math and handwriting

listening in on Story of the World and lots of books

Music: cello lessons and Music Mind Games

maybe a basketball

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Biology fleshed out a bit with various resources including on-line dissection (if it flies with ds) and an independent paleontology study

I think I've now seen ALL the virtual dissection options (and what a pleasant way to spend an afternoon that was! LOL) -- at least I got to the point where they were all referring to each other in circles.... But I wanted to say if you haven't tried Froguts yet, it is by far my favorite. Carolina Biological has one that one would think ought to be great, but based only on the demo I'm not impressed (and definitely not $85 worth of impressed!) Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, because spending half a day clicking through pictures of dissections was really not my idea of a great time - and I'm not particularly squeamish!

I prefer this thread to the "what your _th grader is doing." I find it difficult to really participate because it's such a narrow age/grade band. I like seeing more variety.

Me too - I never know where to post... his "official" (gradeskipped) grade, his actual working grade(s), his age minus 5, 12 minus the number of years to college...... :001_smile:

Thank you! I've heard of Froguts... now off to do more research. (I'll make sure to stop when I've had enough of the visuals, though. Thanks for the heads up. -giggle- )

I think I've now seen ALL the virtual dissection options (and what a pleasant way to spend an afternoon that was! LOL) -- at least I got to the point where they were all referring to each other in circles.... But I wanted to say if you haven't tried Froguts yet, it is by far my favorite. Carolina Biological has one that one would think ought to be great, but based only on the demo I'm not impressed (and definitely not $85 worth of impressed!) Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, because spending half a day clicking through pictures of dissections was really not my idea of a great time - and I'm not particularly squeamish!