Menu

PLEASE Help!!!--Pencil Grip-Part One

My 9yo dd does not hold her pencil with the tripod grip. Instead of using her pointer finger on top of the pencil, she puts her middle finger on top and her pointer down beside the pencil. I have tried to use a grip with her, but she complains about it and doesn't want to use the grip. She prefers to hold it the way described. I haven't forced it too much since I don't want to discourage her writing. But, it bothers me because I am afraid it will cause her problems.

Have any of you dealt with this or do you have any wisdom or advice to share? I would grestly appreciate it!!!!

Thanks so much!

Oh, part two is coming up, it is the pencil hold issue with my 4yo dd:svengo:!

My 9yo dd does not hold her pencil with the tripod grip. Instead of using her pointer finger on top of the pencil, she puts her middle finger on top and her pointer down beside the pencil. I have tried to use a grip with her, but she complains about it and doesn't want to use the grip. She prefers to hold it the way described. I haven't forced it too much since I don't want to discourage her writing. But, it bothers me because I am afraid it will cause her problems.

Have any of you dealt with this or do you have any wisdom or advice to share? I would grestly appreciate it!!!!

Thanks so much!

Oh, part two is coming up, it is the pencil hold issue with my 4yo dd:svengo:!

I think you're probably out of luck with the 9 year old. FWIW, I changed my grip in middle school when I had to do a lot more writing and got hand cramps. I now hold it mostly in the traditional manor, but if I get a cramp I can easily switch to holding it with my old grip and keep writing.

I agree with the ones saying it is probably too late. I hold my pencil wrong and have horrible handwriting, but was a very successful student. I became an English teacher and now I homeschool my kids! So all is not lost.

BTW, dd tried to hold her pencil wrong at 4 and I have pretty much broken her of it with the pencil gripper. But since she holds it like I do, I wonder if it is a genetic tendency or something. :001_unsure:

• 5 months later...

I am happy to share this report with all who read this post months ago! Thanks for your replies!

:001_smile:I wanted to correct my 9yodd grip. She was using her middle finger to grip with. I wasn't given much encouragement but proceeded to try and change it in the following way:

She agreed to try for 1 month to use "the claw" www.writingclaw.com. At the end of the month she was to receive $5 and a new book. She was to use it for all writing/drawing activities.

After 1 month of having developed the proper grip using "the claw", she had to go another month with using the proper grip without "the claw". At the end of that month she was to receive the same reward. She agreed and I am happy to say that it succeeded in changing her grip!!!! :lol:

Now, with my 7yods I just have him use a pencil grip I bought from the school supply store and I don't have him use it all the time, but when he doesn't use it, he still does not have a proper grip. He is still not writing much, so I am not going to focus much on it with him until he is a little older and then probably go through the same type of procedure if he needs it.

The claw is great! www.writingclaw.com

I saw that you hit all the pencil grip threads. How thoughtful! As soon as I have some rep I can send along, its all yours.

Well, I still don't understand the rep thing much, but thank you!

I just wasn't given much encouragement back when I was seeking how to handle this. It seems that most people discouraged me in trying to change it and made it sound like it was "too late". I think the person I got this idea from though had a son around 14 who it worked on. It was really quite painless on both of our parts and I am so happy that I went ahead and pursued it! :001_smile:

I just wasn't given much encouragement back when I was seeking how to handle this. It seems that most people discouraged me in trying to change it and made it sound like it was "too late". :001_smile:

Same here. Em has death grip... no space between her thumb/fingers and pencil. Everytime I try to correct her she says it hurts. Everyone just tells me it is not important. Thanks for pointing ou the 21 days... didn't know that.

to change the grip of a 9 yo. I changed my son's. It was the first thing we did as homeschoolers (he was in school through third grade). My disclaimer is that he had a very awkward grip, and he had trouble learning cursive, partly because of it. An OT told me to skip cursive and teach him to type instead, but I decided to try a little to work on his grip.

I just bought those grips that force their fingers into the right placement. He resisted and even cried (before he had tried it!) on the first day, and I agreed to introduce it slowly at first, 5 minutes the first day, ten minutes the next, etc. He totally corrected his grip within 6 months, and after the first day, no complaints. It might be worth a try. For my younger, I used the grips from the beginning, and he is a second grader now and his grip is fine.

My dc are only 8, and I can't comment on whether or not your dd should even change her grip. But we do use grips here, as my dd has fine motor issues. Our most favorite is a "cross-over grip" -- it has a place for thumb and pointer, separated by a ridge, so that thumb can't cross over. It is available in teacher store and, I think, at RR.

I got a set of about 13 different pencil grips from Pocket Full of Therapy. I couldn't find the set on their web site, but I did see lots of grips. They are very nice -- you might want to calll them if you decide you want to try grips.

http://pfot.com/

My next door neighbor is a comic book writer and artist and does this.

He wouldn't happen to have a TV show too, would he?

I saw a comic artist a while back who had an unusual grip.

But, still, I think based on ELaurie's comment, it is worth trying to correct if you are concerned.

ELaurie wrote:

I have held my pencil in the way you describe ever since I began holding a pencil. I now have arthritis in the middle finger of my right hand. My problem was compounded by the fact that I indented my first knuckle, and gripped my pencil too tightly; now, in my 40s. I am attempting to unlearn my bad habits.

I was an utter and total failure as proper-pencil-grip-instructor in spite of following Calvert lesson manual's instructions to a tee. We tried a variety of rubber grips without any success. Eventually couple of the kids corrected their grips in later years. But one never has; she continues to hold pencils in a strained manner.

Being one who has always had a bad grip, I definitely want to correct it. My handwriting is better when I grip correctly, and I also have problem with strain.

We are trying to decide on a reward. She wants a Hannah Montana costume and a Webkins now. We also need to get her picking up after herself and/ or doing some form of chores, but I should probably keep the rewards separate, I am guessing.

We also need to get her picking up after herself and/ or doing some form of chores, but I should probably keep the rewards separate, I am guessing.

We have charts for morning and evening habits that need to be done everyday (dress, brush hair, tidy room, etc.)

Then, we also have assigned jobs for every day except the sabbath that they earn job money to spend at the "job store" (a collection of items that cost about $1-think Target dollar spot-for them to spend their job dollars at. 6 job dollars = an item at the job store that costs approx. $1) They should be doing their jobs without complaint to receive the job dollar or do the job anyway and NOT get the job dollar.

My oldest is supposed to get the laundry out of the dryer, sort the clothes and deliver them. My 7 year old unloads the dishwasher. My 5 year old puts the silverware away. These are morning jobs, best to be done after morning habits and before breakfast is eaten (motivation to get done fast!)