Menu

Target now has Kindle!

I persuade myself not to be tempted by reminding myself that the manufacturers of objects like the Kindle, video game consoles, and razors make large profits from supplying books, video games, and razors. They are the smart ones. I wish I could invent something that many (or even most) people find useful that needs continual replenishment of what makes it work.

Also, I am a tightwad who likes useful books. I will not pay more than $5 or $6 for an e-book, and I am willing to wait until the price comes down, forever if need be. I don't read books more than once, so I am not willing to ditch the library in favor of an e-reader. I give away most purchased books after I've read them, and I can't do that with an e-book.

I think that e-book readers are a marvelous invention, but I do not have the disposable income to buy or to continually feed one. Someday, if the trend holds, these gadgets will come way down in price, and hopefully so will the e-books. When I think of the price of video games, though, my hopes kind of diminish about e-book prices.

To me, the best use for an e-book reader is for textbooks to be supplied as e-books. Imagine kids, especially those in high school and college, not having to schlep dozens of pounds of books to and from school. I'd buy an e-reader for that purpose for each of my kids, if I could afford it.

Meanwhile, I look at them longingly, but will not (in fact, cannot) succumb.

RC

I persuade myself not to be tempted by reminding myself that the manufacturers of objects like the Kindle, video game consoles, and razors make large profits from supplying books, video games, and razors. They are the smart ones. I wish I could invent something that many (or even most) people find useful that needs continual replenishment of what makes it work.

Also, I am a tightwad who likes useful books. I will not pay more than $5 or $6 for an e-book, and I am willing to wait until the price comes down, forever if need be. I don't read books more than once, so I am not willing to ditch the library in favor of an e-reader. I give away most purchased books after I've read them, and I can't do that with an e-book.

I think that e-book readers are a marvelous invention, but I do not have the disposable income to buy or to continually feed one. Someday, if the trend holds, these gadgets will come way down in price, and hopefully so will the e-books. When I think of the price of video games, though, my hopes kind of diminish about e-book prices.

To me, the best use for an e-book reader is for textbooks to be supplied as e-books. Imagine kids, especially those in high school and college, not having to schlep dozens of pounds of books to and from school. I'd buy an e-reader for that purpose for each of my kids, if I could afford it.

Meanwhile, I look at them longingly, but will not (in fact, cannot) succumb.

RC

I

If it helps any, my friend says there are lots of FREE books for the Kindle. She just gave it to me today, and haven't even figured out how to use it yet, so the jury is still out as to whether I find it as wonderful as she says it is.

I've had my Kindle for a little more than a year and I can tell you that I have spent less than $100 on e-books. There are so many free books available that it is hard to spend money on books unless you have your heart set on a particular book.

One of the advantages of the free books is that I am reading different authors and different genres than I had read previously. By reading the free books, it keeps you from getting in a rut with only one author or one type of book.

My DD gave me a $40 Kindle gift card for Christmas. I have yet to use it.

I've had my Kindle for a little more than a year and I can tell you that I have spent less than $100 on e-books. There are so many free books available that it is hard to spend money on books unless you have your heart set on a particular book.

One of the advantages of the free books is that I am reading different authors and different genres than I had read previously. By reading the free books, it keeps you from getting in a rut with only one author or one type of book.

My DD gave me a $40 Kindle gift card for Christmas. I have yet to use it.

I got mine for Christmas, and have 70+ books. I haven't spent a penny.

That's smart of Amazon to start selling the Kindle in a Brick & Mortar store! One of the (many) reasons I went with the nook was the ability to get support at a local store.

I've spent $7.99 on my nook, and it was for an ESV version of the Bible. Otherwise, everything I've got on it has been for free, including the entire library of Jane Austen, several Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky titles, Robert Louis Stevenson, pretty much every fairy tale ever written, and the collected works of G.A. Henty. Among others. :D There are a *LOT* of titles available, many of which are no longer available in paper, but are being resurrected as eBooks thanks to Project Gutenberg and Google.