Menu

Give me an easy spelling program!!!

bookmomma

I need something that is ready to use and teach out of the box without fancy word cards, or other parts...just simplified.

I have tried Spelling Power, it's okay but the activities seem to distract rather than TEACH spelling rules. The kids hated this program.

I tried Natural Speller, and love how the words are grouped together following simple rules, but I don't have the time to develop activities to reinforce. The kids didn't seem to remember the rules or spelling words.

I tried WRTR (writing road to reading) and it works great, but it's time-consuming and....well, that's it. I'm lazy, I have three kids and run 4 businesses along with homeschooling and grad school.

I tried Spectrum workbooks (a lot like Spelling Power but not as good). Kids hated it.

I tried All About Spelling. Too complex, didn't have all the parts necessary to teach 2nd and 4th graders.

At this point, I feel the kids are falling behind on spelling and I know I'm responsible. I don't have a lot of time to do a long, drawn-out lesson that takes a lot of prep time. I need something quick, easy and effective. By now, I probably could have paid a tutor to teach them spelling instead of spending money on more books!

HELP ME!!!

There's nothing easier than Sequential Spelling (3rd grade up, 2nd for a strong reader). I'm loving the look of the new editions, and hope to have a chance to use them with my youngest. From about 4th grade up, Megawords is also a good, low-fuss choice; it's sometimes billed as as a remedial program, but many of us use it solely as a spelling program.

There's nothing easier than Sequential Spelling (3rd grade up, 2nd for a strong reader). I'm loving the look of the new editions, and hope to have a chance to use them with my youngest. From about 4th grade up, Megawords is also a good, low-fuss choice; it's sometimes billed as as a remedial program, but many of us use it solely as a spelling program.

I love Sequential Spelling. I use the whiteboard, and give tests to ds10, ds9, & ds7 at the same time, so spelling takes us 15 minutes total. No prep work at all. And they're learning.

Another vote for Sequential Spelling. We use AAS, but it's only because my daughter is a struggling speller & SS just couldn't help her for some reason. However, the program is excellent! I especially love the dvd lessons. You can try the first 8 for free here to see if your dc's like it.

http://www.avko.org/videos/ss_dvd_demo.html

We also own Megawords, but haven't used it yet. Again, it looks excellent though!!

Susan

How do you know which level of Sequential Spelling to start with? My ds is a fairly good speller, and I don't want to start at a level that will be to easy.

Start with Level 1 (even if the content of the sample pages appears too simple). It uses word patterns, not spelling levels.

Personally, I'd start with Level 1, it advances fairly quicky & teaches spelling patterns. You can always move quickly in the beginning until you find his pace. By Day 8, he'll be spelling disagreeing, beginning, etc. Others may feel differently, but that's what I'd suggest. :)

Susan

I like simple too and I did not like Sequential Spelling. I'm not saying it's a bad program I'm just saying that if Mom has to give spelling tests EVERY DAY it's NOT simple. ;)

My vote is Building Spelling Skills from Christian Liberty Press.

Students are responsible for studying and learning their words for a test on Friday.

My girls have recently gone nuts for Signing Time videos. They have learned the ASL alphabet (among many other things) and finger spell non-stop. I'm going to add that to their list of spelling activities in BSS just to add in a little kinesthetic action. And it still fits the requirements of simple...no extra work for me. ;)

I'm leaning toward Megawords for my older child since he has some of the rules, but needs remediation and reinforcement. This looks like the right choice. Is there any other materials necessary?? (from what I see we need student workbook and teacher's guide).

My younger may use Sequential Spelling. I'm still browsing.

Megawords looks good from the samples, but I haven't used it.

I have Spelling Plus, it is simple and efficient--it focuses on the most frequent 1,000 words, which comprise 90% of any average running text, but teaches them through rules and patterns. It has a companion book Spelling Dictation if you need. You could use it with Spelling City to make it more fun.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Spelling+Plus%3A+1000+Words+Toward+Spelling+Suc/014528/1276459254-1459934

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Spelling+Dictation+Resource+Book/004554/1276459254-1459934

I'm leaning toward Megawords for my older child since he has some of the rules, but needs remediation and reinforcement. This looks like the right choice. Is there any other materials necessary?? (from what I see we need student workbook and teacher's guide).
That's it.

For Megawords it's assumed that the child can already spell most one syllable words.

I have Soaring with Spelling & Vocabulary on my shelf. This is a new spelling/vocab program. We haven't used it yet, but I love the way it looks. It is from the makers of Growing with Grammar and very similarly put together.

http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/1swsProduct_Page.html

I'd give this a shot if I were at the beginning. We are doing Spelling Workout after 2 years of SWR (which was teaching reading, not spelling, for our purposes), and it is going well, so I won't tinker. I won't, I won't, I won't.

Do you start in the beginning of Megawords and work your way up? (not trying to hijack the thread)
Yes. The first book covers syllabification, and the remaining books each cover specific patterns and themes. Material isn't repeated outright, but occasionally one list expands on patterns previously studied.

I'd give this a shot if I were at the beginning. We are doing Spelling Workout after 2 years of SWR (which was teaching reading, not spelling, for our purposes), and it is going well, so I won't tinker. I won't, I won't, I won't.

Hehe, we aren't starting at the beginning here. We are using the levels as grade levels. Our spelling program from the last couple of years worked but wasn't very enjoyable, not that it has to be, but it is nice when it is more pleasant. I'll know more after Sept. and my kids have used it. It looks really, really good though. :D

Apples and Pears, from the UK.

There's a TM and a student workbook. You can do as much or as little each day as you want. It's not independent study, but it is open-and-go. Zero prep. No manipulatives, nothing.

I switched to this after watching my SWO-loving son go through book after book with no retention.

It does involve tracing, copying, and dictation, but my littles prefer just going straight to the dictation, LOL.

I have Soaring with Spelling & Vocabulary on my shelf. This is a new spelling/vocab program. We haven't used it yet, but I love the way it looks. It is from the makers of Growing with Grammar and very similarly put together.

http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/1swsProduct_Page.html

I just got this and will be starting today. It looks very easy to use. I just opened the box and looked it over and it doesn't require any teacher prep. If only all curriculum was this easy!

Susan in TX

I just got this and will be starting today. It looks very easy to use. I just opened the box and looked it over and it doesn't require any teacher prep. If only all curriculum was this easy!

Susan in TX

Does this program teach rules of spelling?

TWTM highly recommends Spelling Workout, and we've used it. It was simple and great! The only reason we switched was to give dd a change of pace after using it for awhile, and I was attracted to the idea of buying one program to use over multiple grade levels. If we were not using SP with success, we'd go right back to SW.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We like FlashKids Spelling. It is very similar to Spelling Workout, but has full color illustrations, and the list words are given in manuscript, as well as cursive (I had one child who struggled with reading cursive writing). You can buy it for about $6 at Barnes and Noble. The answers are in the back - no teacher's manual needed. My only time commitment is a spelling test on Friday.:thumbup:

I really like the sound of Megawords for my older child, but I am also interested in Sequential Spelling. One question, though: it SS a text book or workbook? I was wondering if I could order one and do the lessons with both to start, allowing my older child to move forward past the ones he knows or masters easily. And, 2nd (okay, I know I said I had one question), what's the idea behind the test only approach? This is kind of what I was doing with the WRTR and it seemed to help more than any other program.

Maybe I just need to stop being lazy and use that program (WRTR) instead of trying to find the right "tool" to use! I know I sound insane, but spelling is not something I ever remember learning. I just did it and remembered the words! I didn't learn the rules like they do nowadays:o)

One question, though: it SS a text book or workbook? I was wondering if I could order one and do the lessons with both to start, allowing my older child to move forward past the ones he knows or masters easily.
It's more like a resource book or TM for the parent/teacher, and there are no student materials per se other than the optional answer book.

I'd recommend doing two lists a day rather than skipping sections.

And, 2nd (okay, I know I said I had one question), what's the idea behind the test only approach? This is kind of what I was doing with the WRTR and it seemed to help more than any other program.
I wouldn't call them tests. Corrections ideally should be made immediately, rather than waiting until the list is finished; in this way each list will end up perfectly spelled. The author calls it "programming their computer brains." If you try SS, read and re-read the introduction as it models the type of speech to use and the method of correction.

Guest momk2000

Sequential Spelling looks good, I'm thinking about trying this with my 4th grader. Would I start her with level 1?

Those using SS, do you find that it sticks? We used CLP Building Spelling Skills at one point and I really liked the program, but started to notice after the tests dd was not really retaining what she learned.

i'll second the SS...my son hates spelling and was really falling behind. this he will tolerate willingly because it's fast, makes perfect sense, and we're done in about 10 minutes a day. I'm also considering megawords for next year, because my son could use a little "remdiation" and the format looks interesting. i'm tempted, but not sure.