Menu

Standardized Testing in TN???

bookmomma

My son will be required to take the TCAP (5th grade) in the spring of this coming school year, and I don't know how that works. Anyone in TN who has experience in this area, please reply.

Do we have to notify them that he should take it, or will we be contacted?

Do we have to go to the school or can we take it home?

Can we order the test ourselves? Or does it need to be administered in a certain way?

What happens if he doesn't pass?

We teach our own curriculum (independent homeschoolers), and the state does not mandate certain things to be taught. For instance, we use SOTW for history--not "social studies," and we follow the WTM schedule for science--not what the public schools follow.

I only ask because I have known other homeschoolers that administered the tests at home at this age level, but they lived in other states--not TN.

Thanks!

B/c you filed under the notify the ps statute, you have forfeited your right to do testing on your own. TN homeschool laws are very simple for the most part, but you filed under the most "invasive" option.

According to the law, either you have to test at a ps or pay for a private tester. As far as who contacts whom, I have no idea. But if they don't contact you, it will be your legal liability one way or the other.

This is the part of the law that you have to follow:

Option I: Grades 5, 7 and 9 must take a standardized test administered by the commissioner of education or someone designated by him or by a professional testing service approved by the local education agency. Tests administered by the Commissioner must be without charge. The parent may be present when the home school student is in grade 5. § 49-6-3050(b)(5)(A-B). If a home school child “falls six (6) to nine (9) months behind his appropriate grade level in his reading, language arts, mathematics or science test scores,” the parent must “consult with a teacher licensed by the state. The parent and teacher shall design a remedial course.” § 49-6-3050(b)(6)(B).

I never dealt with the state at all, so I am not sure how that option works.

FWIW.....you are incorrect about TN law not allowing for testing by the parent. I never even had to test my kids (and didn't) in TN,(eta...I forgot that I did administer the Stanford one yr. You can administer the tests; it is that you aren't required to.) It all depends on which option you file under and which umbrella you choose. HLA does not requiring testing.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

B/c you filed under the notify the ps statute, you have forfeited your right to do testing on your own. TN homeschool laws are very simple for the most part, but you filed under the most "invasive" option.

FWIW.....you are incorrect about TN law not allowing for testing by the parent. I never even had to test my kids (and didn't) in TN,(eta...I forgot that I did administer the Stanford one yr. You can administer the tests; it is that you aren't required to.) It all depends on which option you file under and which umbrella you choose. HLA does not requiring testing.

I know it's more invasive this way, but it fits our style. We don't want to be under an umbrella school or register with church-related school. So, we have to do the testing in certain grades. Thanks!

There are tons of registered testing sites in the Memphis area. Many homeschool groups will allow anyone to sign up to take the Stanford (I don't know about the TCAP, you could call and ask) tests at their location. Can you use something like that instead of having to go to the public school for those days?

So what happens if he doesn't pass social studies or science sections?

There is no reference to social studies. But according to the law, If a home school child “falls six (6) to nine (9) months behind his appropriate grade level in his reading, language arts, mathematics or science test scores,†the parent must “consult with a teacher licensed by the state. The parent and teacher shall design a remedial course.†§ 49-6-3050(b)(6)(B).

FWIW, I think that the state is going to require the TCAP for the actual test. (though I'm not positive) I don't think you can test with the groups of other homeschoolers like one poster mentioned. Those are typically set up by the various umbrellas to meet their testing requirements.

Have you already registered for fall? If not, how would you and your son feel about him "Repeating" 4th grade, and then skipping 5th? I know several people who register with the district because they don't want a CRS who have done this. You can still have your son do the SAT-10 or ITBS if you want a test, but then you don't have to do it through the district or report scores.

Also, have you looked at the Farm School? I know some people who use it as their CRS because it's about as non-religious as it's possible to get and still qualify as a CRS. It's quite a bit more liberal even than HLA.

We are independent homeschoolers registered with the city school system. In our city we have to contact the school and make arrangements to come in for the TCAPS. It was no big deal. The guidance counselor told us when to come and we did drop off/ pick up at the main office.

My son did fine on all the tests. We had done SOTW with lots of historical fiction and he scored "advanced" in social studies. I don't know all the details of the scoring but they do not give you raw scores/ percentiles/ etc. They just give scores of "advanced/ proficient/ something that means behind (I don't know the term)".

I wouldn't worry excessively about how your dc will score. I don't think it has to be very high to be in the "proficient" category. I say this because it said in the paper that something like 95% or higher of our students scored proficient or above in everything. That makes me think it probably is not that tough.

I do not believe that there is a provision for alternative testing. For us the TCAPS were easy and free. We'll be doing it again this year for 5th and 7th.

Have you already registered for fall? If not, how would you and your son feel about him "Repeating" 4th grade, and then skipping 5th? I know several people who register with the district because they don't want a CRS who have done this. You can still have your son do the SAT-10 or ITBS if you want a test, but then you don't have to do it through the district or report scores.

Also, have you looked at the Farm School? I know some people who use it as their CRS because it's about as non-religious as it's possible to get and still qualify as a CRS. It's quite a bit more liberal even than HLA.

Not a bad idea. Thanks!

I am concerned about his ability to take the test alone. I viewed samples of the TCAP and they use a lot of difficult vocab that will be confusing to him. Not to mention he has struggled with reading and is probably about a year behind his grade level, but I think he will catch up in the next year.

We are independent homeschoolers registered with the city school system. In our city we have to contact the school and make arrangements to come in for the TCAPS. It was no big deal. The guidance counselor told us when to come and we did drop off/ pick up at the main office.

My son did fine on all the tests. We had done SOTW with lots of historical fiction and he scored "advanced" in social studies. I don't know all the details of the scoring but they do not give you raw scores/ percentiles/ etc. They just give scores of "advanced/ proficient/ something that means behind (I don't know the term)".

I wouldn't worry excessively about how your dc will score. I don't think it has to be very high to be in the "proficient" category. I say this because it said in the paper that something like 95% or higher of our students scored proficient or above in everything. That makes me think it probably is not that tough.

I do not believe that there is a provision for alternative testing. For us the TCAPS were easy and free. We'll be doing it again this year for 5th and 7th.

One of the sample social studies questions asked what percentage of the US population is African American. Where did a question like this come from? I'm not sure I could accurately answer that. That doesn't sound like something I learned before high school or even college!

In grades 5 and 7 same state board approved secure standardized tests required of public school students In grade 9 same state board approved secure standardized tests required of public school students but NOT the high school proficiency test

Location and Cost of Testing In the local public school which the student would otherwise attend at no charge OR by a professional testing service at parent’s expense In the local public school which the student would otherwise attend at no charge OR by a professional testing service at parent’s expense

Test Sanctions 1 year or more below grade level for 2 years in a row, superintendent MAY req. parents to enroll child in public or private school (unless child is learning disabled)

Above are the requirements. I went back and refreshed my memory since it has been a while. The "tests required of public school students" will be TCAP. The only place you are going to find them that I know of is in the public school system. THe professional testing service confuses me. I guess you would need to contact your local psystem and find out how you would go about that one. If your child does not test high enough, they would be required to test the next year. (I am just guessing that after not doing well the first year, you would be consulting with a professional to assist you in how to bring your dc's scores up as someone else mentioned.) It looks like it is up to the superintendent at that point as to action taken. Do you know if your superintendent is homeschool friendly?

Another vote to register with The Farm School.;)

The Farm School

151 School House Road

Summertown, TN 38483

615 889-4938

Fax: 615 889-4938

Contact: Jacki Willard, Satellite Campus Program Coordinator

http://www.thefarmschool.tv/fsah

Jacki Willard also moderates the Eclectic Homeschoolers of Middle Tennessee.

https://home.comcast.net/~learninghappens/

HTH-

Mandy

I asked about the TCAP when we were at our local elementary school for speech this last spring. The person I spoke with said that we needed to let them know early on if we wanted to take the test with them because they needed to order them. So if you decided to go ahead with it be sure to let them know early.

One of the sample social studies questions asked what percentage of the US population is African American. Where did a question like this come from? I'm not sure I could accurately answer that. That doesn't sound like something I learned before high school or even college!

I suspect that the score required for proficiency was pretty low. I don't know this for sure. It is very difficult to get info to make sense of the TCAPS. I am sure my ds missed plenty of questions because we didn't cover traditional social studies. I just suspect many, many public school students miss those questions too.

The only other friends I have that have taken the TCAPS are relaxed homeschoolers and they did fine.

If you are very concerned I would go with an umbrella school. I wonder if he took the TCAPS and didn't do well you could put him with an umbrella school the following year?

Another vote to register with The Farm School.;)

The Farm School

151 School House Road

Summertown, TN 38483

615 889-4938

Fax: 615 889-4938

Contact: Jacki Willard, Satellite Campus Program Coordinator

http://www.thefarmschool.tv/fsah

Jacki Willard also moderates the Eclectic Homeschoolers of Middle Tennessee.

https://home.comcast.net/~learninghappens/

HTH-

Mandy

I checked out this option, and I like it! IF I feel I have to take that route, the Farm School will be my choice--hands down. Thank you!

I suspect that the score required for proficiency was pretty low. I don't know this for sure. It is very difficult to get info to make sense of the TCAPS. I am sure my ds missed plenty of questions because we didn't cover traditional social studies. I just suspect many, many public school students miss those questions too.

The only other friends I have that have taken the TCAPS are relaxed homeschoolers and they did fine.

If you are very concerned I would go with an umbrella school. I wonder if he took the TCAPS and didn't do well you could put him with an umbrella school the following year?

I'm considering it. I spoke w/ dh and we think we will go ahead and let him take the test at the public school next spring and see how it goes. We may choose to go the umbrella route later if we feel it's necessary. My son has some learning difficulties (asperger's symptoms and dyslexia), but I don't want him to be labeled as LD. I want him to get as much as he can out of life without people saying, "It's okay, you don't have to because your LD." YKWIM?