Good Driver?

How'd ya do?  

1. 1. How'd ya do?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • Failed

So this test was given to people and the average score is JUST over 72%. Below 70% is, of course, failing. SCARY!

http://www.nationaldriverstest.com/

Anyway, so how did you do?

90-100 is A

80 or 85 is B

75 is C

70 is D

65 or under is Failing

Multiple answers allowed so if your kids or spouse took it you can put their result also.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Ummm.....I got a 60. I also hit a mailbox with my side mirror yesterday. I guess I should utilize public transportation. FWIW, most of the questions I missed were because I erred on the side of caution. So, who's up for a road trip....I'll drive:)

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Ummm.....I got a 60. I also hit a mailbox with my side mirror yesterday. I guess I should utilize public transportation. FWIW, most of the questions I missed were because I erred on the side of caution. So, who's up for a road trip....I'll drive:)

:lol::lol:I'll drive with you, I only got a 65 myself. All the one's I got wrong were because I was too cautious.

I got the Bus and the Emergency Vehicle questions right, so that should count for a lot. Sad to say that I did miss #1, didn't know i had to stop for pedestrians not in a crosswalk. I have never ran anyone over though.:tongue_smilie:

A pedestrian always has the right of way. We're not allowed to run them down just 'cause they don't follow the rules. :D

hsbaby- if it makes you feel better, a 95% hasn't stopped me from hitting things. I used to be a school bus driver and I think the mechanics got tired of fixing my bus. :)

80% - I missed the one about the yellow light, safe distance and passing on the right - although I'm pretty sure in NJ you are not supposed to pass on the right on a road with two lanes going in the same direction. (Lots of highway signs saying "Drive Right, Pass Left").

85%

I missed 16 and 18 (seems popular ones to miss.)

I missed 19, but I didn't read it carefully enough - I always turn on my headlights in bad weather! However, when I got caught in a torrential FL downpour last Monday, I turned on my hazards, too, because you couldn't see anyone's headlights!

I missed #9. I think because I am not good at distances. Exactly how far is 50 ft? 100ft? I'd need to actually SEE the distances.

FYI, unless I read it wrong, the school bus question is not actually correct. You always stop for flashing lighted sign if approaching from the rear. You sometimes stop when approaching from the front. If the road is divided by a median that cannot be driven across, you do not stop.

I missed #9. I think because I am not good at distances. Exactly how far is 50 ft? 100ft? I'd need to actually SEE the distances.

FYI, unless I read it wrong, the school bus question is not actually correct. You always stop for flashing lighted sign if approaching from the rear. You sometimes stop when approaching from the front. If the road is divided by a median that cannot be driven across, you do not stop.

Sore loser, eh? :lol:

J/k, you're right. Plus, you :auto: more than anyone I know.

I missed 3 questions, but I strongly disagree with the "correct" answers given for numbers 8 and 16. Where I live, and the way I was taught, it is not allowed to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway. There are signs all over proclaiming, "Drive Right. Pass Left. It's the Law!" That doesn't mean that people actually obey that law. Sometimes it comes down to either passing on the right or ramming the car in front of you in utter frustration because it is traveling far slower than the posted speed limit for no good reason!

As for number 16, asking for distance and giving answer choices in time just does not work for me. :glare: Even so, I think 10 seconds is far more reasonable than 3 seconds even though I have no idea how those translate to an actual distance.

The other one I missed was entirely my fault because I just did not read carefully. :tongue_smilie:

I missed one - the one about safe traveling distance (but it was in seconds so what does that mean????) How can you have distance be in time??

Lara

I missed 3 questions, but I strongly disagree with the "correct" answers given for numbers 8 and 16. Where I live, and the way I was taught, it is not allowed to pass on the right on a multi-lane highway. There are signs all over proclaiming, "Drive Right. Pass Left. It's the Law!" That doesn't mean that people actually obey that law. Sometimes it comes down to either passing on the right or ramming the car in front of you in utter frustration because it is traveling far slower than the posted speed limit for no good reason!

As for number 16, asking for distance and giving answer choices in time just does not work for me. :glare: Even so, I think 10 seconds is far more reasonable than 3 seconds even though I have no idea how those translate to an actual distance.

The other one I missed was entirely my fault because I just did not read carefully. :tongue_smilie:

Driving distance in seconds is the best way to judge. It isn't like you can take a tape measure out and measure distances between cars. THe safe distance also changes based on the car speeds. So, having 3 seconds between you and the car ahead of you takes care of all of that. As the car in front of you passes a stationary marker (ex. sign, crack in the road) count the distance until the front of your car passes the same marker. If you are 3 seconds apart, you have time to safely maneuver or stop quickly without hitting the other car. *When I was learning to drive, the distance was 2 seconds. I believe 2 seconds is also what was in the literature my dc have used for their written driving tests. 3 is just taking it one second safer. 10 seconds would have too much distance between vehicles and would create traffic problems. But, it is kinda like the one I missed. If we were to put you in a car, you would probably follow 2-3 seconds behind the car in front of you naturally. You just haven't counted it.:001_smile:

Sore loser, eh? :lol:

J/k, you're right. Plus, you :auto: more than anyone I know.

'Fraid I'm a perfectionist. Now I know where dd gets that trait! :lol: And, hey, I didn't miss the bus one. The one they had as correct was the best possible answer. It just wasn't technically correct! On the one I did miss, I want to know who gets out of the car with a tape measure and checks the distance when they are driving!!!:lol:

I got a 70%...However, the questions weren't clear on if they were referring to city driving or interstate driving, which are very different.

Ones I missed: #1-you drive around them here, if you were to stop for them, somebody behind you would hit your car. I've seen it happen many times

#9-I was too cautious-and again, the rules for interstate vs normal driving are different

#10-I also thought yield-its been a long day

#15-Don't do much fog driving around here, so I never really paid attention to it

#16-too cautious-I know I'm fine when I actually drive, but trying to remember a number out of thin air doesn't go so well

#18-I don't think I've ever seen a solid yellow light when driving

I do think the actual written test for driving is kind of weird-the one in IN asks about stuff like how much weight can a truck have per axle or something like that. I could understand needing to know that for a CDL license, but for a regular one, I really don't care. It also had some stuff about motorcycles that weren't important unless you were actually driving one-which means you'd need a special license anyhow.

I was told once that many years ago (don't know if it is still true), that there were only 3 possible exams for the written portion, many people passed by memorizing all of the letter strings for all of the the 3 versions, and all they had to do was look at the first question, figure that out, and then they'd know what string of letters to fill in for the rest of the questions.

100%. Whew--I kept my perfect record:lol:. I got 100% the first time on both my Idaho (age 15) and California (age 19) driver's license tests.

I took the CA test over spring break when I was in college. On the way back to my friend's house, I quizzed my 17-year-old friend, her siblings (15, 13, and 8), and her mother with my test which the DMV had let me keep. Here's the scary part: the 8-year-old boy got the best score with just 1 wrong while the the mom had the worst score at about 60%!!!!!!!

Driving distance in seconds is the best way to judge. It isn't like you can take a tape measure out and measure distances between cars. THe safe distance also changes based on the car speeds. So, having 3 seconds between you and the car ahead of you takes care of all of that. As the car in front of you passes a stationary marker (ex. sign, crack in the road) count the distance until the front of your car passes the same marker. If you are 3 seconds apart, you have time to safely maneuver or stop quickly without hitting the other car. *When I was learning to drive, the distance was 2 seconds. I believe 2 seconds is also what was in the literature my dc have used for their written driving tests. 3 is just taking it one second safer. 10 seconds would have too much distance between vehicles and would create traffic problems. But, it is kinda like the one I missed. If we were to put you in a car, you would probably follow 2-3 seconds behind the car in front of you naturally. You just haven't counted it.:001_smile:

Your explanation makes sense. However, I was taught using car lengths not time. 3 seconds just does not translate into distance for me. I keep one to three car lengths, depending on driving conditions, between me and the vehicle in front of me. Hopefully that translates into 3 seconds. :001_smile: :auto:

I got 70% but I stink at multiple choice tests. I always read too much into them.

#1 If I saw a pedestrian crossing in front of my car on a 2-4 lane road, I would honk my horn to be sure others knew what I was doing, then I would stop and yell at the person to get back on the sidewalk, LOL On the interstate, I would check my rearview, swerve, then call 911 to pick up the crazy person. All I could think about was, "No one else will stop, they will get mowed down, and it'll be my fault for allowing them to cross in front of my car."

#3 I know you are supposed to treat a flashing red like a stop sign, coming to a complete stop, then proceeding through when safe. But I chose yield because I wasn't sure if they were trying to trick me into stopping and waiting for the stupid light to change.

#8 I agree, this depends on the state. You are not supposed to pass on the right in many places.

#9 I know what a safe signaling distance looks like, but I had to guess at how many feet it is.

#16 I take issue with this following distance! I've always heard one second for every 10 miles per hour. I almost never drive 30mph. Even the side roads around here are generally 45.

#18 Is there really a difference between be prepared to stop and stop if it is safe to do so? I think these are really just two parts of the same answer.

So there are my essay answers to the stinky multiple choice ones. Can I have a better grade now? I'll wash the blackboard.

Barb

90%,

I got 13 and 16 wrong.

When it comes to 13, where I grew up and learned to drive, you use the shoulder to pass someone that is turning left if the shoulder is wide enough, not sure if it's an actual rule but everyone does it, even the police officers.

95%

I missed:

8. You may pass on the right of another vehicle when:

A. When traveling on a multi-lane highway carrying two or more lanes of traffic in the same direction

B. The other vehicle is making or about to make a left turn, when a lane is provided to pass on the right

C. Both answers are correct

I think it's a bad idea to pass on the right on the highway. If people are passing you on the right, then you are in the *wrong lane*. Just sayin'.

I got a 90%. I missed the one about passing on the right because I didn't read the question well and the one about yellow lights (and, No, I did not say hurry up through the light before it turns red.)

ETA: I should have known the one about passing on the right. I just remembered a saying from when I was in grade school ... "Pass on the left and you can be the leader. Pass on the right and meet St. Peter."

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

90%,

I got 13 and 16 wrong.

When it comes to 13, where I grew up and learned to drive, you use the shoulder to pass someone that is turning left if the shoulder is wide enough, not sure if it's an actual rule but everyone does it, even the police officers.

Maryland?

Your explanation makes sense. However, I was taught using car lengths not time. 3 seconds just does not translate into distance for me. I keep one to three car lengths, depending on driving conditions, between me and the vehicle in front of me. Hopefully that translates into 3 seconds. :001_smile: :auto:

Car lengths does not take speed into account. The number of car lengths required would increase with speed increase.

Okay, so Barb's answers had me LOLing.

I was also originally taught one car length per 10mph. However, 3 seconds makes good sense, imo. I have counted it many times. And 3 seconds would also more easily account for change in mph - 3 seconds would be more distance or less distance based on speed.

Just want it known that 3 seconds is also under ideal circumstances of both the conditions and driver. If you're tired, sick, frustrated, etc BACK UP. If you're eating or fussing at your kids BACK UP. If it's snowing cats and dogs, BACK UP!

BTW, I knew the fog and rain ones but I have used flashers in the worst of worst storms also. Sometimes, you're desperate to be seen!

Oh, here, A LOT of cars have personalized license plates. I have been trying to figure out what I'm going to put on mine. I haven't decided for sure, but it'll probably be NLPH or something Biblical. My daughter thinks I should do AWSM MOM (and all I'm thinking about is the time I lose it with my 15yo ds in a parking lot! LOL). Anyway, she thinks she wants one that says CANUREAD She figures that covers the person who should be far enough back to read her license plate as well as the idiot tailgating her on the road who must not have seen the speed limit sign. LOL

I had 85%.

I missed the one with number feet distance. I'm terrible about that. How much is 50 feet? 100 ft? I do better with car lengths.

A couple of the yellow lights or flashing red lights. I had to read the question and answers twice or more times to make sure I was understanding them properly. I thought they were worded a little awkwardly.

I got 95% and got the one about how far turn signal one since I can't tell distances by eye. I do use turn signals, though and probably at the right distance. WHat I was confused by was the fog lights and rain lights. You should have both your regular lights and your fog lights on with those.

I got a 90%. I missed the definition of defensive driving and how many seconds to leave between cars.

I did get the one about turning the turn signal on at 100ft. only because I think I remember that number from driver's ed ages ago. I don't know what 100 ft. looks like. I would add that if I see someone wanting to turn into traffic right before my turn I DO NOT put my turn signal on until I pass them and might be right on top of my turn. But I would hate for them to think that I am turning right in front of them when in fact I am turning just past them.