Menu

Anyone switch gears and go with a more traditional curriculum for high school?

My dd will be in 8th grade next year and we've always done very teacher intensive/lead curriculums. I want her to become more independent and was considering meshing in some BJU classes (with the dvd) beginning in 8th. I would be adding BJU English and Science for 8th and then have her do BJU for English, Science, History and French in hs. I'm still on the fence about the English for hs, but I think this could move her into a more independent mode. She is using Chalkdust for math.

thanks for any advice

I've done various on-line classes, not teacher-led DVD courses, but after being exposed to TWTM I've preferred to keep history and literature under my domain. I've farmed out writing at times but a full-fledged traditional English class doesn't appeal to me because the literature included usually doesn't mesh with the history I'm doing.

I personally might choose to do outside courses in science, math, and/or foreign language first if I wanted to help the student become more accustomed to other teacher's demands. That would allow me to stay in charge of the humanities portion of the curriculum.

I'm trying to see how we can manage to cover some of the courses that I think will be beneficial, like computer science, economics, statistics and such, which will probably impact on the daily work in history and great books. Already I feel that since we have finished two complete rotations of history, going a third time around might be overkill and not necessarily new coverage... so we may scale that back a bit...

I do still feel that our approach is teacher/mom intensive. I think this is perhaps more a matter of personal style of instruction and preference driven than curricula driven. We use more of a text book type of approach, but I'm still really involved in direction and discussion, not to mention dissection, ie grading of the product. It seems to me that no matter what the curricula, if I'm going to be involved, I must be informed....IDK....No matter which approach, I seem to be just as involved. And, for us, I think that is a positive thing.