Menu

This is something that came up in a post I did on the K-8, but I thought I should ask here. We always figured after 6b we'd use NEM because we love Singapore Math, but in reading it seems like most people move away from singapore math then. Is there any reason not to go ahead and use NEM after 6b? Has anyone gone all the way through NEM? Pros cons? What did you do for 11th and 12th grade? :001_smile: Thanks.

I used NEM with my oldest. I moved away from it with the older boys not because of problems with the program, but rather that our state moved to allowing and paying for 11th and 12th grade high schoolers to take concurrent courses at local universities and community colleges. Because of this we begin college maths in fall of 11th (college algebra) and move on through calculus in 12th grade.

Our problem was with the sequencing of NEM compared to the US. I didn't want to repeat in dual enrollment what the boys covered in NEM. So we went with traditional US programs.

But I love NEM and if you have no plans to do dual enrollment, I would recommend staying with it if you can.

I used NEM with my oldest. I moved away from it with the older boys not because of problems with the program, but rather that our state moved to allowing and paying for 11th and 12th grade high schoolers to take concurrent courses at local universities and community colleges. Because of this we begin college maths in fall of 11th (college algebra) and move on through calculus in 12th grade.

Our problem was with the sequencing of NEM compared to the US. I didn't want to repeat in dual enrollment what the boys covered in NEM. So we went with traditional US programs.

But I love NEM and if you have no plans to do dual enrollment, I would recommend staying with it if you can.

My daughter asked me the other day if we could do Singapore Math through high school. It is her favorite of all the math curricula we have used to date.

I have similar concerns that Cynthia has concerning the sequencing of topics. One thing I have considered is combining it with an American math curriculum.

You could double check at the Singapore math forum, but I think that after NEM or DM a student moves into New Additional Maths.

I read a very interesting book this weekend called A Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Secondary Schools from Singapore Math. It discusses common mistakes made by students in various secondary math topics. It has math game ideas for Algebra and beyond. It focuses on teaching students to recognize patterns and cluster those patterns together for problem solving. It was a great read. It has me reconsidering using Singapore for high school.

I read a very interesting book this weekend called A Handbook for Mathematics Teachers in Secondary Schools from Singapore Math. It discusses common mistakes made by students in various secondary math topics. It has math game ideas for Algebra and beyond. It focuses on teaching students to recognize patterns and cluster those patterns together for problem solving. It was a great read. It has me reconsidering using Singapore for high school.

Thank you. I'll look for that.:001_smile:

Thank you. I'll look for that.:001_smile:

You may also want to consider the Discovering Math program. I have both NEM1 and DM1 and I like the visual appeal and organization of DM1 at least for a younger student.

I am still trying to decide which of DM1 or NEM1 would work best for my daughter (if we go this route), but here is a link to the scope and sequence for secondary math which compares the two.

http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSSecMath2008.pdf

We used NEM through 2. It worked for us, however, my boys were getting bored with math. They felt it was getting tedious. They loved it until NEM. I used it because I like the rigor and the way they build the review in to problems and make the students really use math. My oldest took way too long to go through the 2nd book and is somewhat behind for someone wanting to go into the sciences so we had to make a change. Also, although I majored in Math, I felt really uncomfortable with going onto NEM 3 and 4 without a solutions manual. Those problems are hard!

So now we are using Art of Problem Solving and are loving it! My oldest starts his AoPS class tonight and is looking forward to it (as much as a kid forced to do summer school can:).) We probably won't always use the classes, but we needed a kick in the pants to move us at a quicker pace.

This is something that came up in a post I did on the K-8, but I thought I should ask here. We always figured after 6b we'd use NEM because we love Singapore Math, but in reading it seems like most people move away from singapore math then. Is there any reason not to go ahead and use NEM after 6b? Has anyone gone all the way through NEM? Pros cons? What did you do for 11th and 12th grade? :001_smile: Thanks.

We used NEM and NSAM for Algebra I, II, and Geometry. We combined it with Life of Fred because ds just plain loves LOF. So I used LOF as the spine and spliced in the corresponding chapters from Singapore. Best of both worlds. You could do this without actually using a 2nd curriculum ... just use a conventional American book to give you the appropriate chapters for each year.

HTH,

Karen

We used NEM through 2. It worked for us, however, my boys were getting bored with math. They felt it was getting tedious. They loved it until NEM. I used it because I like the rigor and the way they build the review in to problems and make the students really use math. My oldest took way too long to go through the 2nd book and is somewhat behind for someone wanting to go into the sciences so we had to make a change. Also, although I majored in Math, I felt really uncomfortable with going onto NEM 3 and 4 without a solutions manual. Those problems are hard!

So now we are using Art of Problem Solving and are loving it! My oldest starts his AoPS class tonight and is looking forward to it (as much as a kid forced to do summer school can:).) We probably won't always use the classes, but we needed a kick in the pants to move us at a quicker pace.

I am impressed with what I have seen of AOPS. I have the Intro to Algebra book, and it looks well done, engaging and challenging. It even gets into some more advanced topics towards the end. This is one of the American secondary math series I am strongly considering combining with Singapore math.