Menu

SWB's History of the Midieval World...to much for 9th and 10th grader?

I've read a few reviews stating that it is to much for high school. We will be using History Odyssey level 2 for my daughters who will be in 9th and 10th in the fall. It uses Kingfisher and the Story of Mankind by VanLoon (?) i think that's the author.

We have never pursued a classical education and are not used to the more rigorous reading, writing, etc. On the one hand, I don't want them to be spending time reading something that is over their heads and that they get nothing out of it except for a distaste for the subject. But on the other hand, I wonder if the challenge would be good for them. Or would it be too challenging? KWIM? hmmmm.....

We will also be starting First Form Latin and a Diagramming book because they don't know how to diagram. We will also be doing British Lit, again, somewhat heavy reading--depth and length.

If we did use SWB's book I think it broke it down to about 5 pgs a day maybe. can't remember for sure.

Any advice? Would The Story of Mankind be enough for 9th and 10th grades? They will have some other lit to read along with history, doing mapwork, outlining, summarizing, etc. Kingfisher and Story would be the spines.

Thank you!

Tracy