Menu

Government for Highschool

it's a textbook, but he finds it fairly interesting. Since his passions lie elsewhere, I'm considering this course a part of his basic education, and I was looking for something decent and easy for him to do, so I didn't spend a lot of time looking. It was recommended by someone here, but I don't remember who.

If you go to http://www.greatsource.com and search in the title box for "American Government", you should be able to find it. It's a one semester course.

Brenda

Lora,

We used an online semester course from The Potter's School called Government and the Constitution which uses a book titled A Recipe for Freedom. Ds loved this class and learned so much. Dh and I were very pleased with it. Our dd starts the course next week and is looking forward to it. Here's a link to the TPS website:

http://www.pottersschool.org

I hope others can give you more options to consider.

Cynde

but I found it frustrating to try to fit it into one semester. Basically you had to fly through the book with no time to supplement or do fun stuff, and we still didn't finish all the units!

Anna (in MI) told me it was designed to be a one-year course, and that was my problem. Now, what's the real scoop on this one?:confused:

PS-Ds thought it was an interesting read for a textbook, too.

My older daughter used Sonlight's Core 400 for government study. It is a full year course. She did this study at the same time as she did American History and liked studying the development of our American government in tandem with history. She is a deep thinker, likes to draw connections between events and ideas and this was perfect for her.

My second daughter used NorthStar Academy's one-semester online course that uses the ABeka text and some videos from Wallbuilders along with teacher-created lesson materials and assignments.

Sandra, thanks for the response. Yes, I agree: this would be the perfect year to take this course. Dd's a little disappointed that she missed it this year, but I thought the pace of the course might be too fast and the material too dense. After all, it's an AP course, no? Is your son planning to take the AP exam this year?

I would definitely think a motivated fourteen-year-old could handle the PAH AP Govt. It was the easiest of all the AP courses my kids have done, and the teacher was GREAT about being really organized with assignments, etc. She even gave outlines of each chapter -- they helped my kids in studying for the AP exam a LOT!

If a student just does the assignments reasonably thoroughly and stays up with the reading, he/she will be successful in the course.

Writing is definitely part of the course, so I would just make sure that your child is comfortable writing an essay and a short-answer response. My younger dd is a strong writer and will probably take the course in 10th grade; my younger ds is an abysmal writer and will take the course later...... :-/

One last thought -- I put off having my kids do AP courses because when I was in high school only the "top" juniors and seniors did them. My older two have done a bunch of AP's, and I wish we had started doing them in their sophomore year instead of their junior year.

My younger dd, who is very motivated academically, will probably do two AP's her sophomore year -- music theory and US Govt.

Dd's currently fascinated with US politics and has been watching all the debates and placing bets on the results of the primaries with other family members. I'm hoping that her enthusiasm for the subject will result in success with the PAH course. I'm just a little scared by the "AP" label, so it's good to hear that I'm not the only mom in the world who throws her younger kid in the deep end. Thank you for your always wonderful advice!