Menu

What have you used for Home Economics?

chai

I would prefer to find something that is written for both boys and girls. I don't want my daughter to think that her only future option is home-making. (No flames please, I just think that being a SAHM is only one possible option. :001_smile:)

I'd like to cover the basics--cooking, cleaning, sewing.

I would prefer to find something that is written for both boys and girls. I don't want my daughter to think that her only future option is home-making. (No flames please, I just think that being a SAHM is only one possible option. :001_smile:)

I'd like to cover the basics--cooking, cleaning, sewing.

I believe if you go online to Pearables then you can find some neat ideas for home ec. I've considered using these just to help cover things that I'm not sure how to do- like sewing!

Thanks Stephanie. Pearables is the only home ec program that I am aware of. I have looked at them, but I was hoping to find something a little more "modern". Maybe it's just my perception, can anyone tell me more?

I've looked on Amazon and couldn't find anything. Surely there are some other books out there, right?

I have not found anything modern. So, I am using Christian Light's Home Education Program. The set comes with 9 (or maybe 10) booklets, each with approximately 50-75 pages. (Do not be put off by the cover photos that shows an Amish/Mennonite girl working in the kitchen and sitting at a sewing machine. If you can get past the cover, the booklets are filled with valuable information.)

Each booklet covers a particular area. Booklet one focused on kitchen safety and kitchen utensils. There were sections on reading a recipe and then purchasing the items in order to cook. Reading measurements was another section.

Another booklet focuses on nutrition. A lot of great information. The sketches inside reflect what is being discussed. Sketches of good nutritional choices, and a food pyramid. More recipes, etc. There are booklets that cover grocery shopping, getting the most for your money, sewing, keeping a house clean, etc. You could really just pull the bookets out that you want to use, and discard the rest.

I have decided to pull the last two booklets out of the slip covered set. They deal with more marriage and the childbearing years, caring for the aged, etc. I do feel that this is important and can be covered at a later time. For now, she is learning about food preparation and how to keep the area clean in order to keep food poisoning at bay.

I really like it. It may be an option if you are not able to find something that is more modern. The entire set of books, that includes a teacher's answer key, is around $38.

If you have specific questions about the remaining contents of the booklets, I'll be happy to help.

Mary

We are using this set and really enjoying it. We are in level one...we do it on Thursdays b/c we do a kidswap and I have at least one extra little girl around ...then the gang of boys visiting with my own 4 sons obligingly eat whatever the girls have prepared (after they get first dibs!!). We do it once a week...a few of the activities flopped but overall it has been a really great fit. Hope you find what you're looking for :)

Blessings,kathi

I really, really hate baking cookies, but my mom loves it, so she bakes with the girls when they are here.

They like to help me in the kitchen so I am teaching them how to cook things. They're getting pretty handy.

I have the first Pearables book, and am ashamed to say we haven't started using it yet. I bought a crinkle cutter for carrots, and everything.:D

There was one pretty intense-looking program... the name escapes me right now. It was really for older girls, and probably more traditional than you're looking for. If I remember the name I will post it - I may have it bookmarked.