Menu

Life on crutches. Please tell me this will get easier.

Yesterday I badly sprained and minorly fractured my left ankle. I am going to be on crutches for at least three weeks and probably more like eight or even (whimper) more.

Today I am trying to deal with life on crutches and it is not fun. I am so unstable on the crutches. Opening doors, going from sitting to standing, getting into the shower, dealing with the stairs, all these things used to be easy and now they are not. And I am not even talking about emptying the dishwasher, trying to make lunch, or doing a load of laundry, those are just impossible.

And in about a week and a half we leave for Denver. On an airplane. I can't even imagine dealing with an airport and the crutches. And a hotel. And the various sight seeing things we were going to do.

Please tell me it will get better. It will right?

(The kids are being great dd11, ds9 and ds6 are all being very attentive and fetching anything I want. I am just struggling with the fact I can't do anything.)

:grouphug: It will get better. Right now your kids have a great opportunity to step up to the plate and help you. And they are all old enough to do so and to be blessed by it.

At the airport they have those car things that will take you to where you need to go. They will let you be part of the advance boarding group too so that you can get settled without clogging up the aisles.

Take arnica (a homeopathic remedy that is good for swelling, sprains and bruises). Alternate putting your foot into ice water with epsom salts (yes this hurts, ask me how I know) and letting it warm up under a blanket.

About 16 years ago, I was on crutches for 9 months after I tore my ACL really badly.

Couple of hints: get a shoulder/cross-body bag with long straps to carry stuff around with you (around the house and out and about), like the phone, a book, water bottle, etc. I know you said your kids are fetching stuff, but sometimes they can't...

Don't make your crutches too tall -- they shouldn't touch your armpits. They'll get really sore if you do that. Try to stand as tall as you can.

Hope you are feeling better, soon! REST!

It is hard to be down. :grouphug: Especially for women who are used to doing. Letting someone do for us is difficult. Try to let them. I remember when I was 10 my mom dislocated her ankle. Daddy went to sea the week after. I was the oldest child so a lot fell on me. And that was just fine. Let your kids do for you as long as they want to. Probably about the time they get tired of fetching and carrying, you'll get a handle on the crutches.

I would suggest looking into renting a wheelchair for the trip. It might make things easier if you havn't figured out the crutches.

I was also going suggest a wheel chair on the trip. You can have one at the airport and they don't care if you get out of it from time to time. Airports are very difficult to navigate with any speed on crutches. A folding wheel chair on your trip might work for sight seeing. Maybe you could rent one if needed. Your arms will get stronger. It's hard but use your crutches properly with proper body alignment like posted above. Your armpits aren't supposed to cary your weight. I'm sorry. I'm sure it's a drag but find ways to make your trip fun. You can always buy some instant ice at a drug store if you need it where ever you are.

They make scooters for people who have foot/leg injuries. You bend your knee (foot to back) and your knee goes in a special sling on the scooter... it is MUCH easier to get around in than a wheelchair! These are available for RENT at 'durable medical equipment' stores (your insurance/Dr should be able to refer you to a dealer in your area).

I was on crutches (not allowed to put ANY weight on my foot) for nearly a year due to a torn tendon and ligament. I used crutches and a wheelchair... I WISH WISH WISH I would have known about these scooters....

I have several friends who have had recent foot surgery--they ALL have the scooters....

Thank you.

I will look into the wheel chair at least for the airport. I am really really slow with the crutches and it always seems the gate we need is the farthest away.

My husband is going to be in charge of dinner. We are having a bunch of his friends over tonight. It is a good thing they are a nice bunch of geeks. One of them volunteered to bring all the food. I am sure they won't let me do anything tonight.

The trip is going to be fun. It will be the trip we talk about for a long time. I guess I am just going to learn how to slow down and accept the help I am offered.

I am going to make the best of this. At least it isn't worse and it didn't happen in Denver.

Just wanted to give you my sympathy!!! I broke my foot last year and was on crutches for a month and then a cast with walking boot for 2 months. It IS hard to let everyone take over "your" responsibilities, but try to accept and enjoy the help:). As for the stairs, I ended up crawling up them and scooting down:). My dh and the kids were quite amused.

http://prescriptiongiant.com/medico-product.php?cPath=781_784&products_id=4961

There is the link -- I did not get mine from that website -- I think I rented it directly from Roll-a-Bout but for some reason my laptop won't let me go to their website -- BUT the photo is of the item I did rent (it was very very reasonably priced and I think we submitted the bill to our insurance co).

This was the only thing that kept me from going beserk while I was in a cast (8 weeks).

Definitely, do yourself a favor and look this up. It came with a box to ship it back when we were finished and the whole process could not have been easier.

They make scooters for people who have foot/leg injuries. You bend your knee (foot to back) and your knee goes in a special sling on the scooter... it is MUCH easier to get around in than a wheelchair! These are available for RENT at 'durable medical equipment' stores (your insurance/Dr should be able to refer you to a dealer in your area).

I was on crutches (not allowed to put ANY weight on my foot) for nearly a year due to a torn tendon and ligament. I used crutches and a wheelchair... I WISH WISH WISH I would have known about these scooters....

I have several friends who have had recent foot surgery--they ALL have the scooters....

rollabout.jpg

I sympathize with you! After 9 knee surgeries (dd was 2 when I had my first) and many years using crutches and a wheelchair, I know how difficult it is.

It's already been mentioned, but put your weight on your hands, not your armpits, or you will get terribly sore. Make sure the crutches are not too tall or they will rub your armpits. I second the idea of some kind of bag to carry stuff in--I would carry around the handset to phone and a water bottle.

When you do stairs, remember it's "up w/ good foot first, down w/ bad foot first." You will get better w/ practice.

One of the nicest things dh did for me was make up my ice packs. There was always a spare in the freezer. We made our own using two zip-lock bags, one inside the other to prevent leakage. Also, I kept a mini portable cooler/ice chest beside my bed or favorite chair w/ an ice pack in it. If you search the net you can find a "recipe" for a re-usable ice pack. It's basically water and rubbing alcohol, but I can't remember the proper proportion of each. It will be kind of slushy, so it molds around the injury. Elevate, Elevate, Elevate!!

I highly recommend a shower bench. Often if you ask around, someone will have one in storage that they're willing to loan out. W/ a bench, you can at least relax for a few minutes in shower w/o trying to stand on one foot. Also high on my list is a high-rise toilet seat.

Best of luck,

Cathy

It's already been mentioned, but put your weight on your hands, not your armpits, or you will get terribly sore. Make sure the crutches are not too tall or they will rub your armpits. Cathy

Very important, particularly if you are going to continue to use the crutches. One can sustain nerve damage if you are resting your armpits on the crutches and having the pad of the crutch press in your armpit.