Menu

Poll: What do you call...

the ground meat that you use to make hamburgers? And with your answer, could you also say where you grew up?

I promise this is not a trick question. ;) I just didn't know before I moved to MA that there was more than one way to say this, and I'm wondering what other regional variations there are.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own answer would be "ground beef." Growing up (NY metro area), my mother (from western PA) ordered "chopped chuck" or "ground round" at the butcher's, but we called it all ground beef at home.

My dw, who grew up in NH with Boston-born parents, calls it "hamburg." I even see that on menus here, but I've never heard it in any other part of the country.

Ground beef. I grew up in Jersey (New Jersey to everyone outside the tri-state area. Actually, I usually call it "New Jersey" and it seems to disappoint my new neighbors down here in Dixie... it also seems to disappoint them that I don't sound like I stepped off the set of Goodfellas or The Sporanos.) :D

My own answer would be "ground beef." Growing up (NY metro area), my mother (from western PA) ordered "chopped chuck" or "ground round" at the butcher's, but we called it all ground beef at home.

My dw, who grew up in NH with Boston-born parents, calls it "hamburg." I even see that on menus here, but I've never heard it in any other part of the country.

Hamburg, I was born in CT, grew up in MA, lived in NH for 10 years.

Ground beef here in OR. I ordered a hamburg pizza after we got here and the guy didn't know what I was talking about.

Hamburger meat. Sometimes ground beef, but that is the formal name whereas hamburger meat is more everday, casual speak.

Just what I thought: "Well, if you want to be *formal* about it...."

Hamburger meat. 2nd generation Floridian (but north FL, which is pretty southern).