Menu

Please share your favorite books about France: history, setting, fiction, non-fictio

We just did a FIAR week on Madeline. Here are some of the picture books we liked:

Madeline (of couse :)) by Ludwig Bemelmans

Monsieur Saguette and His Baguette by Frank Asch

The Cat Who Walked Across France by Georg Hallensleben (great pictures and "geography" of France)

Count Your Way Through France by Jim Haskins

Bonjour, Mr. Satie by Tomie de Paola (Very clever book about a mouse and his friend in Paris who are friends with Gertrude Stein. There are lots of reference and drawings of famous people in France in the 1920's. It was way above my son's head but it was fun for me to look at and figure out who they were. The book is somewhat about the feud between Gaughin and Picasso. But my son liked it and didn't get the underlying story at all.)

Minou by Mindy Bingham

The Inside-Outside Book of Paris by Roxie Munro

The Moon Was the Best by Charlotte Zolotow

I, Crocodile by Fred Marcellino (About a crocodile captured by Napolean and taken to Paris)

La La Rose by Satomi Ichikawa (Sweet book about a lost stuffed rabbit but has scenes of Paris that I remembered from out last visit.)

A Spree in Paree by Catherine Stock

Crepes by Suzette by Monica Wellington (Also has great scenes of Paris as Suzette travels through the city selling her crepes.)

We also enjoyed watching Ratatouille for fun that week!

Guest Virginia Dawn

Anatole and the Cheese? and other picture books about Anatole, a mouse.

Also I think an old series called the Orphelines takes place in France.

"Charlotte in Paris" & "Charlotte in Giverny" by Joan Knight

Maybe a book about Joan of Arc? How about a child's version of the Hunchback of Notre Dame?

I also really liked "I, Crocodile" (already mentioned), lol.

The "Look What Came From..." series is great & one of the books is about France.

If you like Eloise, there's an Eloise In Paris book.

Girlhood Journeys (similar to American Girl) books have a few set in France. There's also "Cecile: Gates of Gold" from the Girls of Many Lands series.

My dd loved a book called "The Orange Trees of Versailles".

Usborne Famous Lives series & the Royal Diaries both have books about Marie Antoinette.

Ds loved the Horrible Histories books and he still remembers all sorts of facts from reading them. I think I remember reading on these boards that some parents had issues with them, so you may want to peruse them first. I thought they were fine.

Also, check out this page. When we were planning to travel somewhere, I liked checking this site for suggestions on what to read before going and what to see and do while there. It also recommends books for particular areas in each country -- a nice detail.

Enjoy!

http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/France/france.htm

I see some of the books already suggested are also on this list.