Menu

Making Friends (for me)

Does anyone know of anywhere online I can start making friends?

I'm having issues, I can't exactly talk about on here, and yet I really don't have a friend to talk to. And all this sadness is making me physically weak.

I need to keep my spirits up, so I can actually do things with my DD.

I feel that I might even have to give up on homeschooling, and that is something I don't want to do. I guess I could also use advice about how to homeschool through periods of distress. My daughter is 6, and I have enough of these times that taking a break everytime it happens is not going to work in the long run.

Heather

Heather, I would suggest finding a good counselor to talk to and work through these issues with. Not to say that finding a friend is not a good idea, it is. However, counselors are trained to help you deal with "issues". I've dealt with many in the past few years. You are welcome to PM me if you feel you can talk. I am a good listener. :grouphug: and prayers that you find somebody in whom you can confide.

I've found the women here to be a wonderful source of support during times when I've had issues. I've posted about a couple particular issues (alcoholic brother and hypochondria) and many, many people have PM'd me with words of wisdom. Perhaps if you posted about something specific, people would come out of the woodwork? I'm not saying to share your life story or anything, but something specific?

Other than that, do you have a church or other place of worship? Is there a women's group you can join? Other homeschooling groups in the area?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Sorry things are so difficult for you right now. :grouphug:

Since you specifically asked about meeting people, you may want to check out www.meetup.com and do a search for Topeka, KS (I just checked and there are 34 Meetup groups in Topeka). I've been a member of several Meetup groups in my area these past 6 years and have made some wonderful friends (in fact, two of my best friends are women I met in a Meetup group many years ago!). Meetup's specific purpose is to get people "offline" and meeting up in person with other locals.

Hope things work out for you!

I've found the women here to be a wonderful source of support during times when I've had issues. I've posted about a couple particular issues (alcoholic brother and hypochondria) and many, many people have PM'd me with words of wisdom. Perhaps if you posted about something specific, people would come out of the woodwork? I'm not saying to share your life story or anything, but something specific?

Other than that, do you have a church or other place of worship? Is there a women's group you can join? Other homeschooling groups in the area?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm suspecting that the help she needs is marriage related since it is against board rules? I would second the advice for a counselor. Also there are some women here who have gone through tough times who probably would be helpful if you PM'd them.

Well, I suck at making friends IRL.

I'm supposed to be going to a homeschooling park day tomorrow, but I just don't want to leave the house. We do have bit of an issue with the local homeschool group. Cliques, my dd being too young (well, not any longer, but I was once run off because she was too young).

I've done the counselor thing in the past, and probably will again, but I still feel lonely. And usually they just wind up telling me I need to make friends.

I have an extremely difficult time making friends as well. It doesn't help that I am now stuck living in a city that is dh's home town, not mine. I came here for college and the friends I had all slowly moved away over the years as they finished their schooling or found other jobs. When I was going through a really horrible, stressful time a few years back I was able to find a message board for my particular issue. I don't know if that is something that may bring you some temporary comfort, but there are a lot of message boards on ivillage that pertain to many, many different issues.

Take care,

Sara

Well, it isn't against board rules as I would not be husband bashing at all, but it is marriage related. I'm just not all that comfortable sharing for whole wide world. You know anyone could be reading and it is very personal for me, I am afraid of what people might think of me if they found out, another reason I'm not sure I'd want my IRL friends to know.

LOL. I also tend to have a IRL jinx ever since I moved to Topeka. I make a friend and within a year they move away. It was kinda funny at first, but not so much anymore.