Menu

Memory tricks for someone without a natural bent toward memory work

Okay, supposedly grammar kids thrive on memorizing and reciting facts. Does this include math facts or just the weird stuff? My dd is 8yo and has never shown a natural ability to memorize- though she can solve puzzles and manipulate stuff in her head pretty well. As a result, she still has to pause and think for basic math facts, to spite the fact she multiplies with carrying and divides with remainders. I've never understood how multiplying and dividing comes easier to her than addition and subtraction.

We are boarding the classical train in 3rd grade. Memorization of lists and such is a cornerstone. So, any suggestions on helping her with this agonizing task of memorization?

I did times tales with my son and it really helped with some of those more stubborn facts. I'm not sure if they have addition/subtraction, but it might be worth a try. Also, my son LOVES music, so we would always use music when he was memorizing his Bible verses. Another thought would be some of those fact family type flash cards. They are triangular with the numbers on each point.

A book I have on learning development suggests practicing things that you want to remember right before bed. Evidently your brain works to move information from from short to long term memory right after you go to sleep. So maybe drill and play math fact games before bed.

Kristine in VA

We just picked common tunes for grammar: I've been working on the railroad and jingle bells so far. These seemed to fit our lists ok so we went with it. We found a commonly used states song on U-tube and a bible books song based on Turkey in the Straw with a quick internet search. We sing them in the car and then we learn them in a matter of days that way. We repeat them all back to back each day while we're int he car and it only take about 3 minutes! Brownie

We just picked common tunes for grammar: I've been working on the railroad and jingle bells so far. These seemed to fit our lists ok so we went with it. We found a commonly used states song on U-tube and a bible books song based on Turkey in the Straw with a quick internet search. We sing them in the car and then we learn them in a matter of days that way. We repeat them all back to back each day while we're int he car and it only take about 3 minutes! Brownie

Okay, you are awesome! Here I was ready to go buy one more thing for school. I love freebie and sensible ideas. Thanks!