Menu

need suggestions for Algebra I, science, history, more

I have a "struggling learner" who is now in 9th grade and a 6th grader who is not a struggling learner and needs more challenge. My younger son is very quick and, if engaged in something interesting, he WILL work independently.

I need help streamlining and giving them more independent work.

Any and all advice are appreciated. I am just tired, but I can't bring myself to sign up my younger son for a public charter.

I'd like to know what some good pre-packaged options are for 7th and 10th grade. I have looked into online courses, such as k12, but I don't think those are for us.

For anyone with a struggling learner in 10th grade, what have you done to make your job easier?

I am just tired and would really like to find something that my 10th grader can do more on his own, as well as a challenging pre-planned 7th grade curriculum so I don't have to spend so much time planning and preparing.

Thanks!

Here is what I used in 7th for dd:

History: Story of the World, Vol. 1-3, read and discussed, but you can get the tests, and just read and test (the tests weren't available when I did it).

Language Arts: I backed up a grade and did BJU Reading 6, Spelling 6 and English 6 (no dvds). Great year!!

Math: BJU Fundamentals of Math (7th gr. text) no dvds, went well

Science: did half of Apologia General Science (finished in 8th grade)

Last year dd was in 10th, did (or would have done):

History: Notgrass World (we did four other texts while moving through because she snubbed Notgrass, Notgrass would have been better than what we ended up doing).

English: A Beka World Lit. and BJU Writing/Grammar 10 (dd likes BJU grammar).

Math: BJU Geometry w/dvds

Science: Apologia Biology with virtualhomeschoolgroup.com

If your 10th grader is struggling, my English options may not be the best suggestions, if grammar is an issue, maybe do Easy Grammar Plus. Also, look at Alpha Omega Lifepaks. They appeal to boys. Ten little workbooks per subject to plow through! Or Switched on Schoolhouse. There are enough samples online to see if you think you might like it. For Geometry, Math U See may be an option for you as well.

Don't feel bad about being tired.... think about the stewardess on the airplane, "Put the oxygen mask on your face first, then your childs."

I suggest BJU for your 7th grader. The lesson plans are there and can be followed for each class.

BJU is probably too rigorous for your 10th grader. My oldest did BJU in 10th grade. He's NOT a struggler, and that was the first time he REALLY had to buckle down and study and work hard, especially in the English/Grammar area. Youch, I couldn't have done that class! I would NOT have used BJU for my ds16, he struggles a little more, and his strengths are not in the areas BJU is rigorous on, except for Bible and history.

Does your 10th grader struggle in Math as well? What has he already done? Will he be doing Geometry? Does he like DVD materials, or does he prefer books?

I should have mentioned what my 9th grader has been doing. We are moving very slowly, but getting through it.

1.) Math - Ray's Higher Arithmetic combined with another pre-algebra text

2.) English Grammar - Rod & Staff 7 (working very well for him-we do grammar only with this)

3.) Writing - outlining and writing from the Biology text

4.) Campbell's Biology - This is a very slow process and is clearly going to be completed in 10th grade, not 9th. However, with the outlining and essays on this subject, he is understanding and retaining the material. (I do not know how many labs should be completed. We can't do them all for sure.)

5.) Latina Christiana 1 with his brother. He enjoys Latin very much and is doing well.

6.) We are not doing history because we just don't have time!

For 10th I planned to do - Please let me know if this is reasonable!

1.) Traditional Logic I

2.) Rod & Staff 8

3.) Finish Campbell's Biology that was started in 9th grade

4.) Beginning Algebra (yes, he does struggle in math, so we've been working on mastery with Ray's.. I think he'll be ready for Beginning Algebra by September)

5.) I need a history course and just noticed today that SWB has two history books for high school! I am thinking of using those.

6.) a literature selection

7.) More writing from outlines, per SWB's seminar suggestions

8.) I need something for geography that isn't a dry and boring text book!!

To answer the question, he does not really care for teaching DVD's, except for Latina Christiana. Lectures are too boring and he gets more out of reading, outlining and then writing.

I guess my biggest worry is that I am spending so much time with my oldest that my younger and very capable son is not getting enough attention. If I have my soon-to-be 7th grader engaged, he will do the work, but can get distracted like any other 11 y/o.

Both kids will attend college. We have decided to go the CC route, particularly with my oldest.

When I look at SAT test prep books, I get very scared and I panic because I know that he's not prepared for it. He has always been a grade below his peers and from when he was very young always took more time than the average kid to get where he needed to be.

I will check out BJU for my 7th. If it's all planned out for him I can just follow the plan and make sure he gets it all done. He can handle rigor. It would be a relief for me, particular so he doesn't fall behind and so he can use his potential to advance.

Don't feel bad about being tired.... think about the stewardess on the airplane, "Put the oxygen mask on your face first, then your childs."

Good advice! It's the being tired part that is really getting to me!

I should have mentioned what my 9th grader has been doing. We are moving very slowly, but getting through it.

1For 10th I planned to do - Please let me know if this is reasonable!

4.) Beginning Algebra (yes, he does struggle in math, so we've been working on mastery with Ray's.. I think he'll be ready for Beginning Algebra by September)

5To answer the question, he does not really care for teaching DVD's, except for Latina Christiana. Lectures are too boring and he gets more out of reading, outlining and then writing.

I guess my biggest worry is that I am spending so much time with my oldest that my younger and very capable son is not getting enough attention. If I have my soon-to-be 7th grader engaged, he will do the work, but can get distracted like any other 11 y/o.

For Beginning Algebra, how about Math U See? If you need extra help, you could add Keys to Algebra (but Keys to is not a complete Algebra course.)

As for your younger one, here is what my middle dc has done for gr 7 this year (and she was 11 in Sept and got distracted easily back then):

Mathematics from Perpendicular Press, a Russian math. This served as her pre-Algebra. It says gr 6, but it comes after Singapore Math 6 in difficulty (not the same method at all.) http://www.perpendicularpress.com She then moved on to Life of Fred Beginning Algebra. She learns math well by reading most of the time, so I just check her work & logic.

All American History 2. She read the text, did the workbook on her own (I checked it) and I ordered the extra books from the suggested reading lists in the TM. There are also project suggestions.

R&S English 6 and started 7.

German with Rosetta Stone

Latin Primer 2 (but now they have a new Latin program out--you already have something) We're far behind in Latin.

RS4K, but it was the end of level 1; she's not a science buff. I'd recommend RS4K Chem II at that level along with the lab book. The students design their own labs with that. The 10 chapters are much longer than the level 1 book.

My eldest did BJU science in gr 7.

Wordsmith Apprentice, but you can do Wordsmith starting in Gr 7 if ready. I had her do this because she found it fun & my ds is doing it.

Thinking Toolbox & Fallacy Detective despite the biases. Everything has a bias IMO.

Art in one of Barry Stebbing's workbooks. We did his workshop, so she reads the instructions & does it. My younger one has one with the instructional DVDs. However, something I really like that my dd's have done is The Phonics of Drawing which has 3 levels in one. It can be done completely independently.

Phys Ed Judo & swim team

I'm probably missing something important, but this is what I can think of at the moment.

Edited by Karin

1.) Math - Ray's Higher Arithmetic combined with another pre-algebra text

2.) English Grammar - Rod & Staff 7 (working very well for him-we do grammar only with this)

3.) Writing - outlining and writing from the Biology text

4.) Campbell's Biology - This is a very slow process and is clearly going to be completed in 10th grade, not 9th. However, with the outlining and essays on this subject, he is understanding and retaining the material. (I do not know how many labs should be completed. We can't do them all for sure.)

5.) Latina Christiana 1 with his brother. He enjoys Latin very much and is doing well.

6.) We are not doing history because we just don't have time!

For 10th I planned to do - Please let me know if this is reasonable!

1.) Traditional Logic I

2.) Rod & Staff 8

3.) Finish Campbell's Biology that was started in 9th grade

5.) I need a history course and just noticed today that SWB has two history books for high school! I am thinking of using those.

6.) a literature selection

7.) More writing from outlines, per SWB's seminar suggestions

8.) I need something for geography that isn't a dry and boring text book!!

To answer the question, he does not really care for teaching DVD's, except for Latina Christiana. Lectures are too boring and he gets more out of reading, outlining and then writing.

I am not sure why you have your "struggling" 9th grader in Campbell's Biology. This is a college freshman text, often used in high school AP classes. I would dump Campbell's and maybe substitute a high school Bioloby text. (Campbell's is probably above and beyond what he would get in a CC Biology course, around here anyway). And if he has progressed through half of the Campbell's I would say he is done with Biology. Do a health class next year to cover Human Body stuff.

Have you been doing Rod and Staff grammar all along. Again, this is not what I would use with kid who 'struggles'. I would struggle with that text as well. and talk about a lot of work and tedious (Just my opinion, but i know how MY 9th grader reacted! - and she is 'bright' (not really advanced but she doesn't struggle with much)

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say SWB has two 'high school' books. If you mean her history of the world for adults I would again NOT recommend them. The ancients one is over 700 pages long, and though written in an engaging style it is comprehensive to the point of being overwhelming for a high school text. I would rather use Western Civ, or even Spielvogel's high school text and some good books from the time period. And if you are looking for a program or structured curriculum - they do not provide that.

Is he a strong reader. Maybe 8 'great books' covering both history and literature from whatever period you want to cover. Then have him write an essay on each book. Most high school kids in America are NOT reading eight books a year and producing 8 pieces of finished writing (based on my experiences with public high schools in this area over the last 20 years)

I would not do a history course AND a geography course unless you do something very hands-on (perhaps Mapping the world by heart or the geography coloring book)

Traditional Logic I is easy to do in a year, but I would not count it as a full credit. Now that I am half-way through TLII I wish i had crammed TL I into about 12 weeks and used the rest of the year to slowly go through TLII. It is much more time consuming (it is somewhat more difficult than TLI but the homework takes a lot longer as your are just dealing with lots and lots of syllogisms each week)

Speaking straight from the heart your 10th grade program seems unbalanced to me - especially for a student whom you describe as struggling.

i. TL I and grammar (together about 1 credit of work)

2. Algebra

3. Science and/or Health - appropriate high school class

4. History - use an appropriate high school textbook

5. literature/writing - read books, write about them (or a lightning lit course)

6. elective - maybe something the student really enjoys - music, art, sport. or language or geography could go here

make it doable - and a little easier on you and him.

Blessings,

For your struggling 9th grader, why not consider him to be in 9th next year so he can have an extra year. Then he will no longer be behind by a year, but on schedule. It would have him finishing up biology "on schedule" and Algebra I as well. That freedom is one of the beauties of home schooling. :)

Likewise, your excelling 6th grader may be able to progress more quickly through junior high. I wouldn't suggest skipping anything, but maybe moving more quickly. You'll know when he's hit his appropriate grade level as the work will be more challenging and take more time for him to complete. Another advantage of home schooling. :)

Greetings ccmom :seeya: from ccm. Sometimes I think you're me!

I have a struggling soon-to-be 10th grader also. She used BJU DVDs this year and it was our best year yet! She had a difficult time with the English tests, but she learned a lot. Spanish was her favorite subject. Mr. Cancino was a hit and she also like Mrs. Moon for Geography. She liked having a different instructor for each class.

I am not sure why you have your "struggling" 9th grader in Campbell's Biology. This is a college freshman text, often used in high school AP classes. Blessings,

FYI, there is more than one Campbell's Biology :). One is a college freshman text, but there is a high school one I've seen recommended here as well as I once asked about secular Biology. I was debating over whether to do secular or Christian biology. In the end, dd said she'd rather read theology we don't necessarily agree with than evolution, but I have kept that info in mind.

So, to the OP, which Campbell's Biology are you using?

Thank you all very much for the constructive advice!

btw, we are using the high school level Campbell's biology, not the AP text.

I should clarify that although my son is a struggling learner, he does have his strengths. We've used Rod & Staff since 4th grade and he scored post high school level for language arts on the CAT. I want to continue with Rod & Staff grammar to keep him on track. His diagraming knowledge has helped him to evaluate his sentence construction too, and he is becoming systematic with this in his essays, so I want to continue with R&S. He actually enjoys Rod & Staff.

His weaknesses are related to struggles with memorization and concentration with difficult readings or concepts. If a book is hard to understand, he balks and can't continue. I think I've been giving him things that are just too hard. I would like to make things easier on him, providing just enough challenge, but not so much that he feels like he's failing. This is my challenge!!

Math is a struggle, but he does get it eventually. He just simply takes longer than many kids his age to grasp math concepts. I think he has to work harder than many his age, but he is motivated. Rote memorization is difficult over the long term (still has trouble remembering times tables), but Ray's has helped him to work through word problems through reasoning. I am thinking that if I can just get him through algebra, then he can pick up any additional math needed at the community college level. I gave him some math problems from the California High School Proficiency exam and he seemed to do ok with them, based on the concepts he's mastered so far.

His career goals are to eventually go to film school. He is artistic and talented, and he will be good at what he wants to pursue. I don't see his career involving heavy math or science. In fact, I would like to encourage him to read more literature and history, which will be more applicable to what he wants to do, and more interesting for him. I would LOVE to be done with biology next year!! He does not find it interesting, so it's truly a chore.

Since he's going to the CC, maybe we can go light on the science. What do you think of this?

10th grade

Grammar (Rod & Staff 7/8)

Writing(history/lit/science)

Logic

Latin

History

Literature

Science (much lighter science)

Math - Algebra

BJU is out of my price range, but I will check out their science for my 7th grader, because I would like science to be all laid out for me.

His weaknesses are related to struggles with memorization and concentration with difficult readings or concepts. If a book is hard to understand, he balks and can't continue. I think I've been giving him things that are just too hard. I would like to make things easier on him, providing just enough challenge, but not so much that he feels like he's failing. This is my challenge!!

Math is a struggle, but he does get it eventually. He just simply takes longer than many kids his age to grasp math concepts. I think he has to work harder than many his age, but he is motivated. Rote memorization is difficult over the long term (still has trouble remembering times tables), but Ray's has helped him to work through word problems through reasoning.

He is artistic and talented, and he will be good at what he wants to pursue. I don't see his career involving heavy math or science. In fact, I would like to encourage him to read more literature and history, which will be more applicable to what he wants to do, and more interesting for him. I would LOVE to be done with biology next year!! He does not find it interesting, so it's truly a chore.

Wow, this sounds like you're describing my daughter!

BTW, my daughter is a right-brain learner and also has mixed dominance (right hand-left eye) which affects her reading. I heard Dianne Craft speak at my homeschool convention and helped me understand my child's struggles. http://www.diannecraft.org

HTH :grouphug:

Since he's going to the CC, maybe we can go light on the science. What do you think of this?

10th grade

Grammar (Rod & Staff 7/8)

Writing(history/lit/science)

Logic

Latin

History

Literature

Science (much lighter science)

Math - Algebra

BJU is out of my price range, but I will check out their science for my 7th grader, because I would like science to be all laid out for me.

Sounds good. You may wish to look at Conceptual Science for your ds. There is a Conceptual Physics book for high school & then the Conceptual Chemistry. I don't know of any for Biology, though. THere's not much math. There is some in the Physics, I noticed in the answer key, but not at the same level as many.