Menu

Can anyone recommend a good Encyclopedia for MFW K Topics?

I am planning to start MFW K with my 4 and 6yo. I really need a reference book for the topics, such as: sun, moon, butterfly, goat, vegetable...etc.

Has anyone used the Usborne Internet Linked Childrens Encyclopedia?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0794507549/ref=pd_luc_mri?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is there a different book you would recommend? I have used MFW K for my older kids, and I do like it, but we never had a good reference book. I don't want to go to the library. I plan to purchase some books to go with it. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

We do have several of the read-alouds for "book day," and I plan to pick some more up. But we need a factual book about the MFW K topics. Thanks for any help! :)

I was just about to suggest some library books when I saw that you didn't want to go that route. Okay, well...there are some really good Usborne titles that we used to go along with some of the units:

Usborne Beginners series:

Bugs

Your Body (for the U, U, Us unit)

Sun, Moon and Stars

Farm Animals (Horse, Cow, Goat, etc.)

Tadpoles and Frogs

Under the Sea (Octopus)

Antarctica (Penguins)

There are many, many more of this series.

Also very good from Usborne and just precious books:

On The Moon

Animal Homes

In the Nest

In the Pond

The Butterfly

If you are looking for more of an encyclopedia type book I highly recommend the My First Encyclopedia series from Usborne:

My First Encylcopedia of...

Science

Human Body

Space

Our World

Animals

Seas and Oceans

Those cover most if not all the topics in MFW K. I LOVE the Beginner Series books but if you need to save money, go for the First Encyclopedias.

There are also the paperback "Read and Find Out" series of books (not Usborne) that we also used and cover many topics. HTH...we love MFW K!

Oh great ideas! Thanks, Sue! Amazon is having the 4 for 3 promo. I will check out the books you suggested. Yay! I am excited to start! I remember how MFW K always ministered to me even more than the kids. The little morals were always so timely.

If anyone has any more book suggestions, please share! I'd love to know which were your favorites! I plan to purchase some read-alouds too. I have one for most of the units, but still need to pick up a few more.

Thanks for your help! :)

I just researched this same question and then ordered a few things from Amazon. :)

Now, this is admittedly overkill to some extent; we just love books! I did try not to go too crazy. ;) But sometimes it's fun to check a couple different sources on a given topic, especially if we're going to spend 6 days per topic.

~Children's Illustrated Encyclopedia by DK Publishing ($25.19)

~The Usborne Internet-Linked Children's Encyclopedia (First Encyclopedias); ($19.79)

~My Very First Encyclopedia With Winnie the Pooh and Friends: Nature

~My Very First Encyclopedia With Winnie the Pooh and Friends: Animals

The last two books I found recommended more than once on the MFW forums. I purchased them used from Amazon sellers at a very low price.

I try to avoid our library as much as possible for several different reasons, so it was worth it for me to just go ahead and buy these resources. I am pretty sure we'll get our money's worth.

HTH! :)

I just researched this same question and then ordered a few things from Amazon. :)

Now, this is admittedly overkill to some extent; we just love books! I did try not to go too crazy. ;) But sometimes it's fun to check a couple different sources on a given topic, especially if we're going to spend 6 days per topic.

~Children's Illustrated Encyclopedia by DK Publishing ($25.19)

~The Usborne Internet-Linked Children's Encyclopedia (First Encyclopedias); ($19.79)

~My Very First Encyclopedia With Winnie the Pooh and Friends: Nature

~My Very First Encyclopedia With Winnie the Pooh and Friends: Animals

The last two books I found recommended more than once on the MFW forums. I purchased them used from Amazon sellers at a very low price.

I try to avoid our library as much as possible for several different reasons, so it was worth it for me to just go ahead and buy these resources. I am pretty sure we'll get our money's worth.

HTH! :)

Thank you! I will certainly check those out. I agree with your point about having a few things to look at. And, right now, with the 3/4 at Amazon, it is a great time to buy books. LynnG, do you think I will have every topic covered with the above four plus some of the Usborne Beginners? Which topics still need something?

I just have to say, I am so blessed by these suggestions! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed in trying to put things together for next year. It's such a huge help to come here and ask questions. Thanks a ton, ladies! I know others are reading too. Yay for WTM forums! :)

Thank you! I will certainly check those out. I agree with your point about having a few things to look at. And, right now, with the 3/4 at Amazon, it is a great time to buy books. LynnG, do you think I will have every topic covered with the above four plus some of the Usborne Beginners? Which topics still need something?

I just have to say, I am so blessed by these suggestions! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed in trying to put things together for next year. It's such a huge help to come here and ask questions. Thanks a ton, ladies! I know others are reading too. Yay for WTM forums! :)

I won't know for sure until I get my MFW K package and the books themselves. But I am expecting 100% coverage or pretty darn close. :)

The other thing I have considered doing is just getting the World Book Encyclopedia for the computer. That would surely complete the coverage, and probably be a great resource for several years at least. I think that's around $30 or so? (And I doubt seriously that you "need" it, but I really never mind having some great resources around as extras.)

The Christian Liberty Press Nature Reader Book K Has

Fox

Quail

Zebra

Turtle

Kangaroo

Penguin

Elephant

beetle (for insect)

to complement the book Crystal mentioned. The reader costs no more that $3. It has an animal for every letter of the alphabet.

I love the Usborne Beginners. I also love the Usborne internet linked encyclopedias. My only problem, per say, with the Usborne science books is they tend to not be entirely scientific throughout. What I mean is, say you are looking at a diagram of the human body, half the parts will be labeled scientifically (femur, sternum, patella, etc.) and the other half will be in layman's terms (arm bones, tail bone, hand bones, etc.).

One more question..

There are two Usborne Children's Encyclopedias. One is 10.00, the other is 20.00. Which one should I choose to go with MFW K?

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Encyclopedia-Usborne-Internet-Linked-Encyclopedias/dp/0794507549/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276054239&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Internet-Linked-Childrens-Encyclopedia-Encyclopedias/dp/0794503683/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276054239&sr=8-2

I'd assume the 10.00 one is the best pick. It says ages 4-8. The 20.00 one says 9-12.

One more question..

There are two Usborne Children's Encyclopedias. One is 10.00, the other is 20.00. Which one should I choose to go with MFW K?

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Encyclopedia-Usborne-Internet-Linked-Encyclopedias/dp/0794507549/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276054239&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Internet-Linked-Childrens-Encyclopedia-Encyclopedias/dp/0794503683/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276054239&sr=8-2

I'd assume the 10.00 one is the best pick. It says ages 4-8. The 20.00 one says 9-12.

I think it has to do with the size - the $10 is a smaller version. (7.7x6"). I bought the larger one. :)