Menu

What's your favorite deodorant?

I use Tom's of Maine (scented) but do need to reapply during the day, and before and after exertion. :glare: Not ideal, but I refuse to go back to aluminum, and it's better than other natural stuff I've tried. (Deoderant crystals, for example, are the worst, imo. They've never done a thing for me, and they ended up smelling like B.O. :ack2:) I'll have to check out the Funk Butter.

Suave works for me when I use a "regular" deodorant. (Day to day I try to use the more natural stuff.) Inexpensive, too.

Suave works for me too. I tried several other brands but would get funky later in the day. Or I just couldn't bear the fragrance. Tried Suave as a last resort. Couldn't believe it actually worked for me as I haven't had success with other Suave products. (Their shampoo makes me itch!) I use the Fresh scent.

In a pinch I've used antibacterial gel with success.

Cinder

I was using Nature's Gate natural in the winter and it just won't do the trick now that summer in Florida has arrived. Back to my old favorites... the Avon roll-ons in the scents. They work great, smell good and I can get them for 99 cents each (and buy 5 get one free).

I make it myself now.It works better and is cheaper.

Mix together coconut oil and baking soda until it's a creamy consistency.

If you like some scent, mix in a few drops of some essential oil.

:iagree: Or even just baking soda mixed with a bit of corn starch.

The more I read, the more difficult it is for me to believe that all these chemicals we're putting on our skin aren't causing problems.

I use Tom's of Maine (scented) but do need to reapply during the day, and before and after exertion. :glare: Not ideal, but I refuse to go back to aluminum, and it's better than other natural stuff I've tried. (Deoderant crystals, for example, are the worst, imo. They've never done a thing for me, and they ended up smelling like B.O. :ack2:) I'll have to check out the Funk Butter.

I have been using deodorant crystal for years with great success. I quit using the other stuff because of aluminum; but Tom's and Nature's Gate and whatever other more natural stuff I would use made me smell funny.

I also have used Jason's rose powder but can't find it anymore.

Guest Katia

First, I swipe good under both arms with Rubbing Alcohol, and then dust lightly with baking soda.

Most of the time, I just use the rubbing alcohol, but if I know it's hot and humid, I go for the baking soda.

I like to alternate this with Witch Hazel that I've added Tea Tree Oil to. Works great!

I absolutely refuse to use any store bought deodorant ever again. My girls (18 and 20yo) have never used an antiperspirant because I didn't ever want them exposed to the aluminum.

:bigear:

When my dad died, it was a combination of Alzheimers and Parkinson's with a nice dash of acute lung infection that did him in. I need to find an alternative to my much beloved Secret Shower Fresh. It works well, but what else is it working on?

I'm a heavy duty sweater and stinker. I use Clinical Strength Secret. Sadly, it's not black dress friendly but well, I have man sweat. I use less than half of what is recommended so it lasts.

Have you tried the Suave Clinical Strength? For me, it's almost as good as the Secret, but it's quite a bit cheaper.

I have a question about the homemade and natural types. Are they just deodorant, or do they also keep you from sweating? I don't mind sweating if it doesn't stink, but won't it stain clothes?

The coconut oil/baking soda deodorant does not keep you from sweating, but it does keep you from smelling like sweat. I usually rub mine in really well and let it absorb before putting a shirt on, and so far I have not had any stained clothes.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Something "safe" would be great, but I haven't had any luck with those.

Lady Speedstick used to work, but I've had problems with it lately.

When I didn't have any more babies but still had a huge, half full, bottle of baby powder, I opened it up and filled the rest up with baking soda. I gave it a few shakes and have been using that talc/bakingsoda for 2 years. I do sweat, but I don't smell. I don't know if it makes a difference that I also do not wash with soap, just hot water.

• 2 weeks later...
First, I swipe good under both arms with Rubbing Alcohol, and then dust lightly with baking soda.

Most of the time, I just use the rubbing alcohol, but if I know it's hot and humid, I go for the baking soda.

I like to alternate this with Witch Hazel that I've added Tea Tree Oil to. Works great!

I absolutely refuse to use any store bought deodorant ever again. My girls (18 and 20yo) have never used an antiperspirant because I didn't ever want them exposed to the aluminum.

This is helpful and I'm willing to try it out. I hate using antiperspirants, but often find that I have to, since nothing natural works on me. :confused: And I have tried lots and lots of natural methods - including coconut oil and baking soda.

One thing I do want to point out - heavy sweating is one of the many symptoms of a congested lymphatic system. Once I began paying attention to this and doing the following, it really helped. Made a world of difference.

Lymphasizing involves:

* Dry Body brushing - I do this daily

* Deep breathing

* Rebounding/Bouncing

* Massage

Lymphasizing cleanses you out.

The lymphatic system is the metabolic garbage can of the body. It rids you of toxins such as trapped protein, bacteria, viruses, dead and cancerous cells, nitrogenous wastes, fat, infectious viruses, heavy metals, and other assorted junk cast off by the cells. Lymphasizing stimulates the free-flowing lymphatic drainage system. The lymph carries the waste away to be disposed of through the urinary tract and other excretory mechanisms.

Many people have badly congested lymphatics and don’t even know it. The lymphatic system is often the most over-looked system of the human body. In Europe stimulation of the lymph flow is the fourth most commonly prescribed medical treatment. Most U.S. healthcare practitioners seldom consider the lymphatic system’s critical role in preventing illness or its importance to the over all healing process. There are many symptoms of a congested lymphatic system, but I just wanted to point this out for those who sweat heavily. Once I began dry body brushing and rebounding, my sweating went way, way down.

I just would like something more natural that actually works for longer than say 5 minutes.

I really like Dove. It's the only deodorant that I've been able to use for years on end with no sensitive skin issues.

:iagree:

Just be careful. There is one variety with an obnoxious scent. I can't remember what it's called (and it's likely to be subjective anyway).