Menu

Beyond, HOD?

twoxcell

Ok, so I have everything bought for next year, and I'm starting to plan everything out. My head is strating to spin:lol:. Next year ds will be in 2nd, and dd K(even though she isn't actually K until 2011) and we are doing American history this coming year. I really liked the looks of Adventures(MFW), but I didn't want to fork over the bucks for it, and I figured I could do it myself. Anyways I noticed I already have all the History books for Beyond(HOD), and was wondering if anyone could tell me about this program. If I can find it used would it be worth it to get this guide. We are doing Apologia Zoology 1 next year, so I do not need the science, and I already purchased Horizons for both kids. I wish I had known about Singapore sooner, or I might have bought that. Can someone who has used this explain to me what all it covers, and if I could use it for K, and 2nd together. thanks :)

I've never used Beyond, but you can check out the placement charts at heartofdakota.com to see where each of your dc fit. Those are the best way to determine placement, IMHO. I love HOD and can't wait to use Beyond in 2 years with my dc. They will be 1st grade and 3rd grade.

Another option, since you already have books and other curricula on hand you could try http://www.guesthollow.com for American History. It is a free curriculum designed, I believe, for a 3rd grader but easily adaptable for your younger. We used some of it this past year with a 4yo, 1st gr and 3rd grader. She uses all sorts of great books, Evan Moor History pockets, has projects, etc. Just a thought!

Can someone who has used this explain to me what all it covers, and if I could use it for K, and 2nd together. thanks :)

I haven't used Beyond but I have all of the materials and have spent alot of time with the TM and books. Here is a list of some of the things included in Beyond (cut and pasted from the HOD board, so you may have already seen the list):

Bible Memory Work

Devotional Topics

Science Discovery

Art Projects

Geography Exploration

Timeline and History Activities

Poetry and Rhymes

Gross Motor Skills

Music

Copywork

Spelling Practice

Basic Grammar Skills

Introduction to Capitalization and Punctuation

Reading Choices

Narration

Storytime Genre Studies

Guided Literature Discussions

Story Element Lessons

Godly Character Lessons

Math Exploration

Here is a link to the introduction pages: http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/beyond-little-hearts-intro.pdf

And, here is a link to the first week's lessons:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/beyond-little-hearts-first-week.pdf

What they don't provide samples of are the appendix pages. There is alot more in there, including a list of books that you can choose from for your Storytime readings. You don't have to read those books but Carrie does provide quite a few choices from each genre to help you make choices if you need that. Alot of the titles (not just the historical fiction genres but the others also) fit into the time-period that you would be studying in Beyond. So, if you wanted more history for your children, you could choose those titles. Also in the appendix are the discussion/comprehension questions that go along with the Emerging Readers set of books, if you elect to use those with your children.

The main skill focus for Beyond is developing the child's oral narrations skills in preparation for the more advanced narration skills in Bigger and the written narration in Preparing. I mean, it's a balanced program, covering alot of area, but developing oral narration is a really important thing in Beyond. The Storytime lessons really help with that as do the History readings. In my opinion, the highlight of Beyond is the Storytime activities.

I think Beyond would be alot of fun for a K and 2nd grader. Your Ker probably wouldn't need the spelling lists but you could continue with whatever phonics you wanted to use, or use one of HOD's suggestions for that. Alot of moms use the math activities even if they are not using Singapore, but that is optional for you. You may also want to try the science activities. They fit in with whatever you are studying in history and are very simple and very quick to do. You could add as much other science as you want but I think the science exploration adds alot of fun to the program.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to try to help you out!

Edited by Donna T.