Menu

Need info from any teachers re: STAR reading and math....

I just got ahold of this info from my kids' teachers:

DD(10)-finishing 5th grade

STAR test results:

Reading: Sept '09 6.7; June '10 7.1

Math: Sept '09 5.6; June '10 12+

DRA 80

DS(8)-finishing 2nd grade

STAR test results:

Reading: Sept '09 7.0; June '10 7.0

Math: Sept '09 7.9; June '10 12.9+

DRA: Sept '09 34 Instr.; June '10 38+ Instr.

Both kids started Kumon last summer which most likely accounts for their jump in math STAR results. DS is a mathy kid anyway. BUT, neither child is in 12th grade level math work! What do these STAR math numbers actually mean? Also, it appears that DS hasn't really made any reading progress this year. And why would the STAR result indicate 7th grade, but the DRA indicate 3rd grade?

If anyone out there is familiar with STAR (ren learning) or DRA, I would love some help here!

Edited by ack25
format issue

It doesn't mean that your child is doing 12th grade work. It means that he/she answered the questions as well as an avg. 12th grader would had they taken the same test.

When I was a teacher 10 years ago, we used the STAR reading test in the classroom. I don't know how similar the test is now to then. But keep in mind that the test is just a snapshot of a child's performance on one day.

I had a student who was an excellent reader, but one one of the STAR tests (We gave the reading test once per quarter) he tanked. I asked him about it afterward. Apparently, he *really* had to go to the bathroom and went as fast as he could just to get the test over with. :D

I have no experience with a DRA and so I can't answer anything about that.

You know your child. You know whether or not they were improving in reading this year. :) Keep them reading over the summer! :)

The STAR math test is mostly computational work. That's fantastic that both kids did so well, as those are truly impressive scores at both ages. However, from this test alone, you can't say they are "high school level". The test at best goes up to a pre-algebra level, with very little actual "algebra", let alone true high school math. There is a geometry component, but it would be in line with what an elementary student could master, rather than true high school geometry. Personally I'm most afraid of what this says about "average 12th graders", LOL! Another thing to keep in mind is that the test is performed without calculators. Say what you will about our calculator dependent society, but many bright kids don't necessarily nail these tests, because there is very little conceptual testing. A kid acing calculus, but not fast with long division might find that question timed out before he dusted off those cobwebs. Each question of the test is timed individually.

Again, your children did FANTASTIC!!! No doubts about that! And I'm fairly certain they would need math acceleration, enrichment, or whatever. But I wouldn't sign them up for honors precalc just yet, ;) .

As for the DRA, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that no kids top that level, because your school isn't testing beyond a certain cap. Our school only went one full year up, and that was it. All of our top readers in 1st had a "spring 2nd grade" level. The DRA tests more developmental skills too, such as indepth retelling and contextual insight. Most teachers will not give a younger child a near perfect score, and therefore justify not moving forward (even though said child would likely score just as well on material several years beyond where he tested). It's not as "reading only" as some would think. The STAR reading is very quick and dirty. I've seen ceiling kids have scores fluctuate in the 8th-12th+ range on subsequent testing.

Thank you both for the replies!

"And I'm fairly certain they would need math acceleration, enrichment, or whatever. But I wouldn't sign them up for honors precalc just yet"

The funny thing is that both kids scored 12+ in the STAR MATH, though only ds really needs accelerating or enrichment. DS is "mathy." He just intuitively gets it and will take it one step further. However, I would put DD on grade level for math. She is not a mathy kid and isn't great with mathamatical reasoning and problem solving. Yet, she can certainly work an algorithm.

Anyway, thanks again for the insight.

Ack, I have the same situation with slightly older children. Actually, I have three kids that recently took the STAR math. It was comical for one, because after getting the 12.9+, it said she was "ready for algebra". This is great, but she is a rising junior, and has completed algebra 1, algebra 2 and geometry, :001_huh: .

But my younger two are similar to your younger two. My 7th grade daughter needs some nice grouping and grade level enrichment, but nothing extreme. My younger son needs some major changes to the status quo. All three kids had roughly the same score on the STAR math, but have very unique math needs at the moment.

For your daughter, the STAR did seem to highlight her strengths, but she might also do well with some enrichment. She's obviously bright, and could probably handle more than your typical "grade level".

Just to be clear, your dd's score in math does not mean she should be doing 12th grade math. Neither does it mean she is doing 12th grade level math.

It means that if an average 12th grader sat down and took the STAR math test, he and your dd would have gotten a similar score. i.e., your daughter did well on the test. A 12th grader would probably have found it easy, and also did well.

You should be comfortable in the fact that your child did well on the test, but it doesn't mean she is capable of doing pre-calc. Nor does it mean the average 12th grader is incompetent in math.

Hillary, this is true of grade level tests, but keep in mind that the STAR claims to go up through 12th grade. So it does portray a sad average for 12th graders. I personally feel the material only goes up through about pre-algebra, or very early algebra (with some degree of geometry), but these are problems that do indeed challenge many high school students, :( .

I think you are possibly confusing the ridiculous grade equivalents that are placed on truly grade level tests (ITBS, SAT-10, etc). Those merely mean that an average XXth grade student would have scored similarly on that particular (lower grade) test.

The STAR though adapts, and again claims to have a ceiling at the upper 12th grade level. It's similar in this regard to a test such as the WIAT or the WJ. The same test that Ack's child was given are also used on high school students.

I wonder if these tests that say it goes up to 12th grade (MAP says 11th grade) what they really mean is that it covers what a typical/avg 11/12th grader would take in math which would be Algebra 1/geometry.

My friend says that the MAP had some point-slope-intercept questions as well as a parabola. WOuld that be covered in pre-Alg or Alg1?

If the STAR is similar to the NWEA MAP (both are computer adaptive tests), then Lexi is correct. The MAP has two tests, a grade 2-5 test and a grade 6+ test but the grade 2-5 test covers material up to grade 11, it's just a bit more conceptual and fewer questions at the high end. So if your child scores 220 which has a 80th% for 10th graders (making up these numbers, I don't have a norms table in front of me) then your child scored better than 80% of 10th graders which took the very same test but it's not a grade level test, it has material up to 11th grade.